/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Homosexuality

miminad
09-22-2016, 10:48 PM
Is it true that in Islam it is prohibited to be gay?

Okay I looked into some verses since I see so many questions on this

"...For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.... And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone)" -

"Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, "And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing"

“If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both. If they repent and amend, Leave them alone"

"Whoever you find doing the action of the people of Loot, execute the one who does it and the one to whom it is done.".

These verses talk about the ACTS of homosexuality, none of them talk about being a homosexual alone. What I am getting from this is that it’s like having something but you just can’t do certain things with it.

When people read the Qu’ran and see “homosexuality” and “sin” in the same sentence, they might interpret that being gay itself is a major sin, but the only thing I see so far is homosexual acts a sin so my dear sisters and brothers, I am very much confused about this.

Would somebody be willing to give me verses that state that being a homosexual alone is a sin before I get the wrong ideas? Thank you!! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
09-22-2016, 10:53 PM
You have, as I understand it (and Allah forgive me if I am mistaken) the right of it: there is no sin in BEING gay, there is a sin upon acting upon it.

(My own daughter is gay. :) )

Aaqib
09-23-2016, 12:20 AM
There is, how is identifying yourself gay not haraam? It's practically the same, you can't just say "I'm gay" and practically do nothing of being gay.

You're supposed to fight these desires to be gay, not say "I'm gay" and not do anything gay.

Little_Lion
09-23-2016, 12:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaqib
There is, how is identifying yourself gay not haraam? It's practically the same, you can't just say "I'm gay" and practically do nothing of being gay.

You're supposed to fight these desires to be gay, not say "I'm gay" and not do anything gay.
Can you provide evidence of this, brother, that it is insufficient to not act upon the desires? (It is a sincere question so that when asked, I can inform my daughter accurately.)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
darkbro
09-23-2016, 01:34 AM
The main faith in islam is to believe Allah AND His prophet. There are many hadith condemning homosexuality. Nuff said.

darkbro
09-23-2016, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
You have, as I understand it (and Allah forgive me if I am mistaken) the right of it: there is no sin in BEING gay, there is a sin upon acting upon it.

Yeah. The prohibited one is zina.

The person has to do jihad against his/her lust towards the same gender. But just being a homosexual is not a sin.. since you are not a thief until you steal something

kritikvernunft
09-23-2016, 03:37 AM

If you are, and you try but you really cannot resist the urge, then at least make sure that nobody can see it, because in that case they will still have to find enough witnesses to prove that you did it! :)

eesa the kiwi
09-23-2016, 03:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
If you are, and you try but you really cannot resist the urge, then at least make sure that nobody can see it, because in that case they will still have to find enough witnesses to prove that you did it! :)
I hope you are trolling

Terrible advice smh. So what if no human sees , Allah will and his punishment is the most severe

kritikvernunft
09-23-2016, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
I hope you are trolling. Terrible advice smh. So what if no human sees , Allah will and his punishment is the most severe
This strategy would certainly prevent other people from taking the place of Allah. The status of homosexual behaviour is perfectly clear in Divine Law. It is banned and outlawed. Therefore, openly rubbing all of that into other people's noses is a bad idea. Still, I am also against trying to figure out who exactly is doing that, because that is not our job. As long as I don't see it, I don't care. In other words, this amounts to saying that gay parades and things like that are really a way of asking for trouble. If other people react badly to them, I am also not going to say or do anything.

Karl
09-23-2016, 04:20 AM
Sexual perversions have been around for ever but Islam cannot promote such behaviour. Where would that lead too? People marrying all sorts of animals and maybe their pick up truck? Why do perverts want to be "out", have they no shame? By the way I hate the use of the word "gay" for shocking sodomites. The word gay has been ruined by them.
Sin can only be an action not a thought, as we cannot control our thoughts only our actions unless we are insane.

darkbro
09-23-2016, 04:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by miminad
When people read the Qu’ran and see “homosexuality” and “sin” in the same sentence, they might interpret that being gay itself is a major sin, but the only thing I see so far is homosexual acts a sin so my dear sisters and brothers, I am very much confused about this.

Would somebody be willing to give me verses that state that being a homosexual alone is a sin before I get the wrong ideas? Thank you!! :)
ah, i just noticed that the OP asked for verses.

Here are the ayat about homosexuality:

أَتَأْتُونَ الذُّكْرَانَ مِنَ الْعَالَمِينَ
وَتَذَرُونَ مَا خَلَقَ لَكُمْ رَبُّكُم مِّنْ أَزْوَاجِكُم ۚ بَلْ أَنتُمْ قَوْمٌ عَادُونَ

Do you approach males among the worlds.And leave what your Lord has created for you as mates? But you are a people transgressing.

[Ash-Shuara 165-166]

وَلُوطًا إِذْ قَالَ لِقَوْمِهِ أَتَأْتُونَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مَا سَبَقَكُم بِهَا مِنْ أَحَدٍ مِّنَ الْعَالَمِينَ
إِنَّكُمْ لَتَأْتُونَ الرِّجَالَ شَهْوَةً مِّن دُونِ النِّسَاءِ ۚ بَلْ أَنتُمْ قَوْمٌ مُّسْرِفُونَ

And [We had sent] Lot when he said to his people, "Do you commit such immorality as no one has preceded you with from among the worlds? Indeed, you approach men with desire, instead of women. Rather, you are a transgressing people."

[Al-A'raf 80-81]

Notice the words used in Quran. You have to come so that it will be counted as sin. This is easier if you understand arabic though.

Still, 'just imagining' things is forbidden, considered a sin but it is another story.

miminad
09-23-2016, 09:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaqib

You do not have to do anything gay to be gay though...there are some heterosexual people who are heterosexual but stay virgins

miminad
09-23-2016, 09:52 AM

That is exactly what i was thinking sis, thank you

miminad
09-23-2016, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by darkbro
The main faith in islam is to believe Allah AND His prophet. There are many hadith condemning homosexuality. Nuff said.
Many hadiths condeming homosexual acts. Please show me a hadith that says you cannot be a homosexual thanks

miminad
09-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Yes exactly...I always thought just being a homosexual isn't a sin but just doing the acts are. Thanks!

miminad
09-23-2016, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
I hope you are trolling

Terrible advice smh. So what if no human sees , Allah will and his punishment is the most severe
I honestly feel like the vibes I am getting from this is that you just HAVE to struggle with the urges and just not do anything since doing the acts is a major sin

miminad
09-23-2016, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by darkbro
ah, i just noticed that the OP asked for verses.

Here are the ayat about homosexuality:

أَتَأْتُونَ الذُّكْرَانَ مِنَ الْعَالَمِينَ
وَتَذَرُونَ مَا خَلَقَ لَكُمْ رَبُّكُم مِّنْ أَزْوَاجِكُم ۚ بَلْ أَنتُمْ قَوْمٌ عَادُونَ

Do you approach males among the worlds.And leave what your Lord has created for you as mates? But you are a people transgressing.

[Ash-Shuara 165-166]

وَلُوطًا إِذْ قَالَ لِقَوْمِهِ أَتَأْتُونَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مَا سَبَقَكُم بِهَا مِنْ أَحَدٍ مِّنَ الْعَالَمِينَ
إِنَّكُمْ لَتَأْتُونَ الرِّجَالَ شَهْوَةً مِّن دُونِ النِّسَاءِ ۚ بَلْ أَنتُمْ قَوْمٌ مُّسْرِفُونَ

And [We had sent] Lot when he said to his people, "Do you commit such immorality as no one has preceded you with from among the worlds? Indeed, you approach men with desire, instead of women. Rather, you are a transgressing people."

[Al-A'raf 80-81]

Notice the words used in Quran. You have to come so that it will be counted as sin. This is easier if you understand arabic though.

Still, 'just imagining' things is forbidden, considered a sin but it is another story.
Thank you but this mostly talks about the acts? (and no i dont understand arabic rip) "Do you approach males among the world" and "Indeed you approach men with desire instead of woman" This is like talking about sexual desires though

MazharShafiq
09-23-2016, 10:04 AM
What does Islam say about homosexuality?
Taken from the book titled 'Common Questions People Ask About Islam' by Shabir Ally.
Islam teaches that homosexual acts are sinful and punishable by God. This teaching comes not from human beings, but from the Creator of all humans. God tells us in His own words how He punished the people of Lot for their homosexual behaviour.
The story of prophet Lot, on whom be peace, finds mention in several Qur'anic passages, especially Chapter 26:160-175 which reads: "The people of Lut rejected the apostles. Behold, their brother Lut said to them: "Will ye not fear (God)? "I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust. "So fear God and obey me. "No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from the lord of the Worlds. "Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, "And leave those whom God has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!" They said: "If thou desist not, O Lut! thou wilt assuredly be cast out!" He said: "I do detest your doings." "O my Lord! deliver me and my family from such things as they do!" So We delivered him and his family,- all Except an old woman who lingered behind. But the rest We destroyed utterly. We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)! Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe. And verily thy Lord is He, the Exalted in Might Most Merciful."
From these passages we learn that God saved Lot and the righteous ones of his family, and rained on the rest a shower of brimstone, so they were utterly destroyed. This is mentioned in the Qur'an not only for the sake of information, but mainly to serve as a warning to anyone who dares to repeat such acts.
واللہ اعلم بالصواب

*charisma*
09-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Hello @miminad , and welcome to the forum :)

The acts of homosexuality are forbidden, however to be sexually attracted to the same sex without committing any sins is not in of itself sinful. However, just like in heterosexuality we have to take preventative measures against occupying ourselves with lustful ideas and behaviors. I remember reading a fatwa against women dancing in front of other women because it can cause sexual attraction between them. So Islam is not really ignorant to the fact that same-sex attraction is possible even amongst heterosexuals. The point is to not be in an environment which feeds on our weaknesses.

That being said, we have many topics on Islam's stance on homosexuality, you can find them using the search function (in the top right-hand corner of our site). In order to keep this thread from getting heated (as this is quite a popular topic), it will be closed for now. In the meantime, feel free to ask any other questions and browse around the forum. :D

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.