PDA

View Full Version : What does "fear Allah" mean?



Serinity
09-24-2016, 09:04 PM
:salam:

What does it mean? What is meant by "fear"?

And Allah :swt: knows best.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
09-24-2016, 09:53 PM
It means you fear doing a sinful act because God is watching you..you fear displeasing God...etc.
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-24-2016, 10:03 PM
It means fear the Punishment of Allaah Ta`aalaa which comes as a result of disobedience unto Him.
Reply

ardianto
09-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
It means fear the Punishment of Allaah Ta`aalaa which comes as a result of disobedience unto Him.
Unfortunately the word "fear Allah" now often used for threatening those who hold different opinion in fiqh matter. Probably you have ever experienced it when you discuss with people from different madhab?.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-24-2016, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Unfortunately the word "fear Allah" now often used for threatening those who hold different opinion in fiqh matter. Probably you have ever experienced it when you discuss with people from different madhab?.
Some people have Ghuluww (extremeness) in them, yes. In most cases, that is on account of ignorance.

Differences of opinion in Fiqh exists, has existed and will continue to exist. From the time of Sahaabah-e-Kiraam, they had differences of opinion in Fiqh. It is nothing new.
Reply

greenhill
09-25-2016, 03:26 AM
There are always 2 sides to a point of view.

You can choose to 'love' Allah or 'fear' Allah (or both) and learn to express the deen via fear (punishment) or love (reward).

Likewise, believers can be categorised to those who fear hell or those motivated by reward of heaven.

Which is correct?


:peace:
Reply

kritikvernunft
09-25-2016, 04:50 AM
There is also the metaphysical theorem of the karma in which your suffering is the resulting punishment for evil that you have perpetrated earlier in this life, or otherwise in an earlier life. Justice requires that all our suffering be of our own making, across live cycles. So, if you perpetrate evil in this life, you will receive punishment under the form of suffering later in this life, or otherwise in a later life. This accounting system -- mechanisms of this type are often called angels -- watches you, follows you, catches up with you, and then strikes you, liberally inflicting pain, suffering, anxieties, fear, helplessness, death wishes, and remorse, until the balance on your good-and-evil account has been justified and settled. Dying is not enough to escape. The hunt will simply continue in your next life. This world is not nirvana (jannah, paradise). This world is a penitentiary prison planet to which we were sent in order to be held to account for the sins in our previous life, and to expiate our remaining balance through endless and excruciating suffering. Only by avoiding to perpetrate new evil, and embracing the suffering that we always deserve, we may attain a clean balance, and at last rest in peace until the last day, and be allowed entrance into paradise. As long as you are carrying unpunished evil, your soul cannot have rest, and you will just be sent to worse prison planets, where suffering is even more painful than in our own penitentiary world.
Reply

Serinity
09-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
There is also the metaphysical theorem of the karma in which your suffering is the resulting punishment for evil that you have perpetrated earlier in this life, or otherwise in an earlier life. Justice requires that all our suffering be of our own making, across live cycles. So, if you perpetrate evil in this life, you will receive punishment under the form of suffering later in this life, or otherwise in a later life. This accounting system -- mechanisms of this type are often called angels -- watches you, follows you, catches up with you, and then strikes you, liberally inflicting pain, suffering, anxieties, fear, helplessness, death wishes, and remorse, until the balance on your good-and-evil account has been justified and settled. Dying is not enough to escape. The hunt will simply continue in your next life. This world is not nirvana (jannah, paradise). This world is a penitentiary prison planet to which we were sent in order to be held to account for the sins in our previous life, and to expiate our remaining balance through endless and excruciating suffering. Only by avoiding to perpetrate new evil, and embracing the suffering that we always deserve, we may attain a clean balance, and at last rest in peace until the last day, and be allowed entrance into paradise. As long as you are carrying unpunished evil, your soul cannot have rest, and you will just be sent to worse prison planets, where suffering is even more painful than in our own penitentiary world.
we were created sinless, so I disagree with you that we were sent because of our sins in the previous life.

Besides that, I do not like people who use fear to control people.. Is that ok?? Surely we should fear Allah, but we shouldn't use this "Fear Allah" to control people.

I.e. if I say "do this or I will make dua to Allah to burn you in Hell - do you wanna burn?" Obviously, Allah is all-just, so I don't see Allah ever accepting such an unjust dua.
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-25-2016, 02:00 PM
There was no "previous life" in the Dunyaa. Re-incarnation is a Hindu concept foreign to Islaam. Muslims have only one life in this Dunyaa, and thereafter they go to the Aakhirah. This is the first and only life you will ever have in this world.
Reply

kritikvernunft
09-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
we were created sinless, so I disagree with you that we were sent because of our sins in the previous life.
I personally do not agree or disagree with the metaphysical theorem of the karma. To tell you the truth, I have no clue as to whether it really works like that. My opinion is rather that it is attractively consistent, and if it is true, that it would explain quite a few things that would otherwise remain intractable. It is an attractive but certainly not necessarily true theorem.
Reply

M.I.A.
09-25-2016, 03:17 PM
I don't mean to boast..

but I could probably throw around 200 punches in a minute.

and yet the worst fear I've felt is in front of a group of adolescents.. 15-16 maybe around five or six of them..

could barely talk nevermind anything else.. waves of anger but it never materialised.. heart pounding, hands unsure.. a nervous wreck.

luckily my brother and his friend were nearby and they talked to them and the situation was resolved.

fear is knowing something is always waiting in the wings..

to make you look woefully inadequate and unprepared..

at the least.

Allah swt have mercy upon us.

fear undoes preparation.. and rightly so.

upsetting.

although I don't know why?

I am grateful.
Reply

kritikvernunft
09-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
There was no "previous life" in the Dunyaa. Re-incarnation is a Hindu concept foreign to Islaam. Muslims have only one life in this Dunyaa, and thereafter they go to the Aakhirah. This is the first and only life you will ever have in this world.
I found this theory in the Buddhist Tripitaka. I would not manage to read the Hindu Veda's for long, because they elaborate on the multitude of their gods, while I already know upfront that I will have to reject these things. The Tripitaka, however, is just a bit of a weird set of three books. One, the Sangha, is impossibly boring, because it is about rules only applicable to monks. The other two are actually quite readable, and often quite funny too. Its only theory is about why we suffer. For a religious scripture, that is unusual, because other religious scriptures will talk about the origin of the world. That is why quite a few people say that Buddhism is not really a religion. It is a philosophical theory. I mostly agree with that.

The country in which I live is predominantly Buddhist. So, I really needed to know what exactly they believe. Theoretically, I consider it a relatively attractive way of thinking. However, it is also very easy to convince Buddhists of other beliefs; also beliefs that are not good at all. Since Buddhists abandon their own beliefs that easily, it is a surprise to me that the religion still exists today. For example, the Chinese in Malaysia and Singapore have in large numbers dumped Buddhism and adopted Christianity. In that sense, if Buddhism is a religion, it clearly fails as a religion. Furthermore, with all the weird ideologies circulating nowadays, a true religion can only be in conflict with them. Buddhism isn't. They just seem to swallow and adopt all these bad ideas, no questions asked.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-18-2017, 06:26 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-31-2016, 01:45 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 10:50 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 07:22 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2006, 05:53 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!