/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should I major in History?

Mustafa16
09-25-2016, 01:17 AM
I have a passion for studying history, and I am very good at it......is there a good chance of me finding a good job after college, other than teaching? I would probably not make a good teacher......
what types of jobs are available for history majors? keep in mind, I live in the US, so the job market may be different than in the UK.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
09-25-2016, 01:32 AM
I majored in History as well as Geography (I was planning on going into Archaeology, and my husband and I planned on starting a business in Disaster Mitigation, with me specializing in restoring sites and artifacts after a disaster), and I can tell you that there is very little in the way of jobs for History majors. You'd have to specialize in something else, like Archival Sciences, or Museum Curation, and even then the jobs are very few and far between because the people who get them tend not to leave them, and new opportunities (like a new archive or museum) open very rarely. It is only a good major if you are taking a second major that really needs it.

There are more opportunities overseas, but keep in mind that there are thousands upon thousands of other history students vying for the same positions, and a lot of the Eastern European countries are in financial straits that are causing them to cut back on government funded history positions, so there are now hundreds of EXPERIENCED people who are also fighting for what jobs their are.

I have a certificate in Public History (archives and museum management) and I haven't been able to do a thing with it.

Don't major in history unless you have to or you have a VERY specific plan as to what to do with it.

Mustafa16
09-25-2016, 01:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
I majored in History as well as Geography (I was planning on going into Archaeology, and my husband and I planned on starting a business in Disaster Mitigation, with me specializing in restoring sites and artifacts after a disaster), and I can tell you that there is very little in the way of jobs for History majors. You'd have to specialize in something else, like Archival Sciences, or Museum Curation, and even then the jobs are very few and far between because the people who get them tend not to leave them, and new opportunities (like a new archive or museum) open very rarely. It is only a good major if you are taking a second major that really needs it.

There are more opportunities overseas, but keep in mind that there are thousands upon thousands of other history students vying for the same positions, and a lot of the Eastern European countries are in financial straits that are causing them to cut back on government funded history positions, so there are now hundreds of EXPERIENCED people who are also fighting for what jobs their are.

I have a certificate in Public History (archives and museum management) and I haven't been able to do a thing with it.

Don't major in history unless you have to or you have a VERY specific plan as to what to do with it.
Looks like it's gonna be Economics at this point....but that could change...thanks for the advice, sister....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.