/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do i strengthen my memory?

500yardsoffo
09-25-2016, 05:30 PM
I've noticed many brothers here have good memory as they quote a lot of Aayats, Hadith and other quotes. I know many do copy paste but i observed there are people here who really have memorized a lot of stuff. Can anybody give advice how can i increase my memory?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-25-2016, 05:37 PM
1) Du`aa to Allaah Ta`aalaa to increase your memory.

2) Memory is like a muscle. You've seen Eddie Hall and those guys lifting 500+kg? Powerlifters. Memory is a lot like that. Like weightlifting. The more you use your muscles, the stronger they become. The more you memorise, the stronger your memory becomes. People in the old days had much better memories than people these days have. Why is that? Very simple: They had to remember more things. They didn't have smartphones storing all of the information. They had to actually remember numbers, because they didn't have SIM cards with all of the numbers on. Computers, smartphones and the internet have played a huge role in weakening the memory of people, by simply reducing the need to memorise things. You don't even need to remember appointments because you have apps on your phone that will remind you well beforehand. As a result, people rarely ever use their memories, and so their memories are weak.

Going back to the weightlifting example: If a person never trains his muscles, never lifts weights, then does he have any right to complain that he isn't able to do 150kg barbell curls? Or deadlift and squat 300+kg? He can't. He never uses his muscles, so of course he won't be able to do it. But a person who regularly trains his muscles, on the other hand, will be able to do all of that.

3) Keep away from sin. Sinning weakens the memory of a person.

والسلام

500yardsoffo
09-25-2016, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
1) Du`aa to Allaah Ta`aalaa to increase your memory.

2) Memory is like a muscle. You've seen Eddie Hall and those guys lifting 500+kg? Powerlifters. Memory is a lot like that. Like weightlifting. The more you use your muscles, the stronger they become. The more you memorise, the stronger your memory becomes. People in the old days had much better memories than people these days have. Why is that? Very simple: They had to remember more things. They didn't have smartphones storing all of the information. They had to actually remember numbers, because they didn't have SIM cards with all of the numbers on. Computers, smartphones and the internet have played a huge role in weakening the memory of people, by simply reducing the need to memorise things. You don't even need to remember people's birthdates, because you have apps on your phone that will remind you well beforehand. As a result, people rarely ever use their memories, and so their memories are weak.

Going back to the weightlifting example: If a person never trains his muscles, never lift weights, then does he have any right to complain that he isn't able to 150kg barbell curls? Or deadlift and squat 300+kg? He can't. He never uses his muscles, so of course he won't be able to do it. But a person who regularly trains his muscles, on the other hand, will be able to do all of that.

3) Keep away from sin. Sinning weakens the memory of a person.

والسلام
Thanks akhi. And about your last point, what are the sinns that weaken the memory?

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-25-2016, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 500yardsoffo
Thanks akhi. And about your last point, what are the sinns that weaken the memory?
Any sin at all that a person commits weakens their memory.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
500yardsoffo
09-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Thanks akhi.

Serinity
09-25-2016, 07:45 PM
my brother who doesn't pray has photographic memory, he can memorise texts and pages. So what do you mean "weaken their memory"?

JazakAllah khayran.
And Allah :swt: knows best.

M.I.A.
09-25-2016, 07:51 PM
what does he use it for?

o_0

Serinity
09-25-2016, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
what does he use it for?

o_0
To memorise for presentations.

M.I.A.
09-25-2016, 08:05 PM
ok.

you should definitely become quran hafiz to maintain equal footing

:p

*@*

....little bit of healthy competition

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-25-2016, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
my brother who doesn't pray has photographic memory, he can memorise texts and pages. So what do you mean "weaken their memory"?

JazakAllah khayran.
And Allah :swt: knows best.
The `Ulamaa have explained that when a person sins against Allaah Ta`aalaa, that sin has a negative effect on the body of the person as well as his mind. His body becomes slightly weaker, and his mind (including his memory) becomes slightly weaker. Some people have been granted extremely powerful memories, thus they are able to memorise easily. Sin will adversely affect even their powerful memories, although they may still be able to memorise entire documents, due to the fact that Allaah Ta`aalaa has naturally granted them a much stronger memory than other people. Similarly, you get many people who sin, yet they are still seen to be physically strong. This is because the sins are affecting their body, but, because they are relatively stronger than other people, it is not noticeable yet. Were they to not sin, their bodies would be stronger. Were a person to not sin, his memory would be stronger.

Let me give an example.

According to medical professionals, reading books (hardcover and especially e-books) weakens a person's eyesight. You've heard of this? Eventually a person has to start wearing glasses because the reading has weakened his eyes, especially if he's been spending hours everyday reading on a computer screen. Correct? Yet, I've read thousands of books in my life, and almost a thousand of them have been on computer, yet my eyesight is still almost perfect and I've never needed glasses in my life, Alhamdulillaah. Once, I read 2,100 pages on computer in a single week. Yet I have better eyesight than many people that I know of, and they need to wear glasses despite having read much less.

So there is the rule, and then you get those people who are the exception to the rule.

Take another example.

Medical professionals say that children should not be given too many sweets, chocolates, etc. because it will ruin their teeth. Correct? As a child, I ate at least 50x more sweets, chocolates, chips, soft drinks, etc. than anyone I know of. As a five year old I used to drink an entire two-litre cola in a single day. So you have an idea what I'm talking about. Yet, all my teeth are in perfect condition and in my entire life I've never needed to go to the dentist. Ever. I've never been to the dentist as a patient. Not even once, in all my years. Alhamdulillaah.

Do you see what I mean? How will the medical professionals answer that? They can prove medically that sweets and things really do ruin your teeth, yet they didn't ruin mine. Why? Allaah Ta`aalaa safeguarded me. I was an "exception to the rule".

So again: The rule is that when a person sins against Allaah Ta`aalaa, their body and mind weakens. Yet, some people have been granted very powerful bodies and very powerful minds by Allaah Ta`aalaa, so when they sin, you might not notice the adverse effects those sins are having.

I hope the matter is clear, In Shaa Allaah.

والسلام

M.I.A.
09-25-2016, 10:04 PM
...reminds me of having to give up smoking.

some things can only go on for so long.

now i vape!

no ponger the blacksmith.. nice typo is nice.

Kiro
09-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Write a journal

that should help

islamirama
09-25-2016, 11:16 PM
how come the kuffars have good memories then?

they commit shirk, zina, and riba among other sins.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-26-2016, 10:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
how come the kuffars have good memories then?

they commit shirk, zina, and riba among other sins.
Read the post I made earlier in this thread.

Aay1K0
09-26-2016, 10:47 AM
If you understand the Urdu language, you may see this video and improve your memory (-----------------/medialibrary/19525)

fhmn63
09-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Start with Bismillah .

tumblr mri3kaEQLZ1ryt89do1 1280?resize3362C100 -

More Tips Here

Scimitar
09-26-2016, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Write a journal

that should help

says the guy who doesn't want to READ :D

You do realise that the first word of revelation to our prophet pbuh was the command to READ? right?

Yet, your sad and compromised generation prefer Facebook and Youtube to the real knowledge.

recognise the hypocrisy of your own intent, young one.

Scimi

Kiro
09-26-2016, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
says the guy who doesn't want to READ :D

You do realise that the first word of revelation to our prophet pbuh was the command to READ? right?

Yet, your sad and compromised generation prefer Facebook and Youtube to the real knowledge.

recognise the hypocrisy of your own intent, young one.

Scimi
Yes old one.

Just. I don't want to read certain things especially if isn't fard :p

sister herb
09-26-2016, 06:57 PM
For getting a good memory:

1) notice those advices above

2) take care about yourself: sleep enough, drink enough, eat healthy, have some exercise and fresh air daily

3) take care about your health in general - some infections can affect to your memory

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-26-2016, 07:12 PM
The late Ahmad Deedat used to say that Muslims today are a "Laa Iqra Nation". They don't want to read.

Umm Abed
09-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Was just thinking earlier today of Ahmad Deedat.

He was extremely confident person. The words used to flow out as he refuted his opponents.

Serinity
09-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Ahmed Deedat, a true Mujahid. Right?

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-26-2016, 07:26 PM
He was very good at debating. Even though he was born in Surat, in India, he identified himself as a South African. He moved to South Africa at the age of nine. Lived in KZN.

Umm Abed
09-26-2016, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
Ahmed Deedat, a true Mujahid. Right?
A daa'ee, I would say.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-26-2016, 07:28 PM
A Daa`ee, yes.

Serinity
09-26-2016, 07:36 PM
Ah, yes. How noobish of me. lol. JazakAllah Khayran.

Kiro
09-26-2016, 08:05 PM
He was very good at debating. Even though he was born in Surat, in India, he identified himself as a South African. He moved to South Africa at the age of nine. Lived in KZN.
I guess he proves you can do great things without being a scholar

mission2succeed
09-26-2016, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 500yardsoffo
I've noticed many brothers here have good memory as they quote a lot of Aayats, Hadith and other quotes. I know many do copy paste but i observed there are people here who really have memorized a lot of stuff. Can anybody give advice how can i increase my memory?
:salam:

brother you already have been given some very good advice masha'allah but I would strongly recommend wet cupping on the head helps to improve the memory alongside memorizing the quran insha'allah.

noraina
09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

I have an almost photographic memory alhamdulillah, and many people assume it's 'natural' or I was 'born with it'. Maybe others are born with this but I know how hard I worked to improve my memory :D. It's a lifelong effort.

I was reading a book (by Imam al-Ghazali) and he mentioned how over-sleeping, and over-eating, can really effect your memory for the worse. As brother Huzaifah has already mentioned, sinning or misdeeds can also mean you're unable to access the true benefits or understanding of beneficial knowledge.

Also, you need to work on it daily. Stimulate and challenge your mind through reading or writing or any other activity - memory is central and intrinsically connected to many of the functions of the brain and so if you engage your whole brain regularly it'll definitely improve your memory inshaAllah.

And, when it comes to memorisation, many times it still requires much effort and concentration, even for those with an excellent memory. You need to have patient and dedication, if you don't work to improve a gift you have then it'll just waste away.

noraina
09-27-2016, 10:08 AM
btw, likewise, things such as dhikr or service to your parents or elders and other good deeds should improve it inshaAllah.

And for some practical options, these two articles are interesting:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ce-your-memory

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...not-your-limbs

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Alhamdulillaah, Allaah Ta`aalaa blessed me also with a very good memory.

الحمد لله رب العالمين

When I was still a student doing Hifz, I used to do ten pages Sabaq a day and two Paras dor (revision).

If I read a Hadeeth (Arabic) even a single time, I remember it word for word. Alhamdulillaah.

noraina
09-27-2016, 11:54 AM
^ Ma'sha'Allah....my memory is not quite as excellent as that, lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.