/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you eat all kinds of fish?

Serinity
10-01-2016, 04:42 PM
:salam:

Can you eat all the fish in the sea? And can you eat skinned fish? And what does that really mean?

What are the conditions that would make sea food haram?

Allahu alam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
10-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

I'm not sure what is meant by skinned fish?

I eat all forms of fish, apart from prawn, lobster, crab or octopus ect. I believe there is a difference of opinion between madhabs on this issue. I've just grown up hearing I shouldn't eat those, I haven't actually looked into this topic too deep. I'm Hanafi, I think in the Hanbali and Maliki madhab they're permissable to eat, and in the Shafi madhab views are divided.

Apart from that, I eat all forms of fish. Unless it was served with some other haraam substance, I can't think of why they wouldn't be halal.

Allah swt knows best.

Serinity
10-01-2016, 04:59 PM

I think it means fish with skin on it....... I have seen no basis for why it'd be haram, so I don't think it is.

Scimitar
10-01-2016, 05:09 PM
far as I know, it was the Chidlren of Israel who were not allowed to eat "shelled fish" and this filtered through into Islamic narratives... I don't have the articles I read to hand because I read these years ago.

For the record, I love butterfly garlic prawn (the big one).

Just make sure it's de-veined so you don't eat its poop sack.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
10-01-2016, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
I think it means fish with skin on it....... I have seen no basis for why it'd be haram, so I don't think it is.
I don't think so either, I've never heard such a prohibition myself.

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Just make sure it's de-veined so you don't eat its poop sack.

Scimi
Now I definitely won't eat it, lol.

Scimitar
10-01-2016, 05:16 PM
All fish have poop sacks, sister - in fact, so do animals :D larger ones than those little shrimps do :D

Scimi

noraina
10-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Definitely don't say that, I'm in a crisis right now about going vegetarian and my family would prefer if I didn't go to that length. :D

Serinity
10-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Now for safety reasons I will cut off the whole bottom-section, ie. from belly button and all the way down........

noraina
10-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Here is a link I found, saying the great majority of creatures are permissable:

https://islamqa.info/en/1919

Why someone would wish to consume a crocodile anyway is beyond me.

Little_Lion
10-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Well, alligator is quite good, so I would think crocodile would taste about the same.

sister herb
10-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Can we eat a crocodile? It´s a predator and not the fish of course (I was thinking we are talking about eating fish?)? I thought that the most of animals whose eat the flesh of another animals are no-no food to us. Plus it may eats also carrions.

:heated:

Scimitar
10-01-2016, 11:47 PM
question is, would you eat an animal which also consumes the flesh of mammals?

Scimi

Little_Lion
10-02-2016, 12:09 AM
No, we can't eat crocodile (or alligator, I would assume). I had it about 20 years ago, long before I reverted. It tastes like fishy chicken.

talibilm
10-02-2016, 01:20 AM
:sl:

Malik :: Book 25 : Hadith 25.3.10

Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam that Sad al-Jari, the mawla of Umar ibn al-Khattab asked Abdullah ibn Umar about fish which had killed each other or which had died from severe cold . He said, "There is no harm in eating them.'' Sad said,' 'I then asked Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al As and he said the same."

AFAIK among sea food there are difference of opinions between HALAL & MAKROO'uh (detested) ONLY (and not Haram as all sea food is pure said another hadith but avoid the poisonous one which is Haram anywere from the sea or Land)

But Crab is an issue among Hanafis but My opinion is those which live MOSTLY ON ONLY LAND are better avoided. Its also very Sinful to say Halal things as Haram which is ONLY Allah's right.

hisnameiszzz
10-02-2016, 11:13 AM
LOVE. I adore these, they are just a bit messy to eat if they have some of the shell still on.

I also love prawn and potato patties, with lots of spice, they are yummy.

Born_Believer
10-02-2016, 11:15 PM
All fish are halal, unless of course they eat other fish, then it becomes haram because we are not allowed to eat carnivores. So, that would mean a shark for instance, although their may be some disagreement among the madhabs.

Anyway, we all know the basic fish will be halal so just stick to that. I myself enjoy salmon. Can't go wrong with that.

talibilm
10-03-2016, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
All fish are halal, unless of course they eat other fish, then it becomes haram because we are not allowed to eat carnivores. So, that would mean a shark for instance, although their may be some disagreement among the madhabs.

Anyway, we all know the basic fish will be halal so just stick to that. I myself enjoy salmon. Can't go wrong with that.

This hadiths disproves such conception

Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam that Sad al-Jari, the mawla of Umar ibn al-Khattab asked Abdullah ibn Umar about fish which had killed each other or which had died from severe cold . He said, "There is no harm in eating them.'' Sad said,' 'I then asked Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al As and he said the same."

Difference of opinions on Shark etc ie between Halal and Makru'h (detested) (not Haram) in Hanafis ( I really do not know it came from Imaam abu Hanifa (Rah Alay) or his students ?) imo rose about some other nature of gills or skin etc ( i think ) or some thing else and Not the eating nature of other fish. Since I have seen other smaller fish which is widely consumed were seen sold at shops dead swallowing other smaller fishes.

Whale was consumed by Sahabas from Hadith and Prophet :saws: had eaten it too while whale do consume shoals of smaller fishes in my knowledge and Minke whale feeds on sea animals too.

MazharShafiq
10-03-2016, 02:46 PM
assalamu alekum
Every fish and animals in the shape of fish are permissible. According to the Hanafi sect, fishes such as turbot, carp, flipper and eel are permissible to eat. However, sea vermins such as crap, mussel, oyster, lobster, crawfish and prawn are not eaten. Also, other water animals which are not in the shape of fish such as walrus, sea pig etc. are not eaten as well. According to other three sects (Shafi, Maliki, Hanbali), all of the sea foods are eaten.
Allah o alam

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 03:31 PM
According to the Hanafi Madh-hab, eating shark is permissible, because sharks fall under the category of fish, and all fish are permissible. Prawns, crabs, lobsters, etc. don't fall under the category of fish. They are Crustacea.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام

M.I.A.
10-03-2016, 03:43 PM
..ok one question out of ignorance please.

there is a hadith or story relating to the prophet pbuh or sahaba RA

finding a large fish that they ate for a long time? i dont know the specifics because i am not very specific apparently..

could anybody clarify on it?

...its probably semi relevant because if it was a whale..

and im not sure if it was nevermind the authenticity of the story or hadith..

whales are mammals.

how on earth would such a thing be done?

also it falls under carrion does it not?

the whole post rests upon somebody else knowing about the hadith or story..

or etiquette of whale eating.

feel free to correct or expand upon.

Kiro
10-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Does anyone like Tuna?

I would have some but I am too lazy to prepare it

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Many of the `Ulamaa say that it was a whale. It was a group of Sahaabah. They ate from it for a long time, and returned to Madeenah. They informed Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم about it. He asked if they have any of the meat of it left. They said yes. He asked for some, and they give. He told them that it is from what Allaah Ta`aalaa had provided for them.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Does anyone like Tuna?

I would have some but I am too lazy to prepare it
Tuna in a can doesn't need preparing.

Kiro
10-03-2016, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Tuna in a can doesn't need preparing.
You need to open the can, then separate the tuna from the water. A drag...

M.I.A.
10-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Many of the `Ulamaa say that it was a whale. It was a group of Sahaabah. They ate from it for a long time, and returned to Madeenah. They informed Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم about it. He asked if they have any of the meat of it left. They said yes. He asked for some, and they give. He told them that it is from what Allaah Ta`aalaa had provided for them.
thankyou.

...the question i asked can be easily negated by force of necessity.

may allah swt have mercy upon us.

noraina
10-03-2016, 04:13 PM
I am not too adventurous with my food, as far as fish goes I don't think I've ever gone beyond tuna, salmon and cod.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Haddock is the nicest fish, I think. Even better than salmon.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Fish is very unique. When Nabi Moosaa عليه السلام and Yoosha` ibn Noon went on the journey to find Khidhr عليه السلام, they took a fish along with them, as food. I did some research on fish a while back, and apparently it is very good for energy. So perhaps they took a fish from all the kinds of food they could have taken with them, because a fish gives you energy and they had a long journey. That's why if you look at the words of Moosaa عليه السلام after they got tired from travelling, he says to Yoosha`, "آتنا غداءنا لقد لقينا من سفرنا هذا نصباً" (Bring us our morning meal; we have encountered fatigue in this journey of ours.)

The word he uses, "Nasabaa" (fatigue), is what made me do some research on fish and how it helps for tiredness. Apparently, it also alleviates depression, and it helps to cure chronic fatigue syndrome. Salmon in particular contains a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for muscle building and for energy.

والله أعلم

Born_Believer
10-03-2016, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm

This hadiths disproves such conception

Difference of opinions on Shark etc ie between Halal and Makru'h (detested) (not Haram) in Hanafis ( I really do not know it came from Imaam abu Hanifa (Rah Alay) or his students ?) imo rose about some other nature of gills or skin etc ( i think ) or some thing else and Not the eating nature of other fish. Since I have seen other smaller fish which is widely consumed were seen sold at shops dead swallowing other smaller fishes.

Whale was consumed by Sahabas from Hadith and Prophet :saws: had eaten it too while whale do consume shoals of smaller fishes in my knowledge and Minke whale feeds on sea animals too.
Fair enough.

There still seems to be some doubt among scholars so I feel it's best for me personally to not eat it. Then again, we hardly get shark and so on in the UK so I'm not too worried.

M.I.A.
10-03-2016, 06:05 PM
...the nicest fish is.. filet o'fish for sure.

i miss it "/

if i get to go to a muslim country i hope they have a mcdonalds.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 06:14 PM
No. I don't think there is a single Halaal McDonalds in the world. Allaahu A`lam. As far as I know, all are Haraam.

Besides that, it is the most unhealthy place in the entire world to eat at.

M.I.A.
10-03-2016, 06:45 PM

....i cant say im not upset by this news.

although maybe your kididng..

your kidding right? mcdonalds exists in muslim countries, how can it be haram?

although maybe it tastes different. :|

its only unhealthy if your sat about all day.. reading the nutritional information on the carton.

which i am these days..

your free!! run forest run!

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 06:51 PM
With regards to the McDonalds in Muslim countries: Is it Muslim owned? Is all the meat used from animals which have been slaughtered correctly, according to the Sharee`ah? Slaughtered manually, by hand, not machine slaughtered? Tasmiyah recited before each and every animal has been slaughtered? Animals have not been ill-treated? Does any contamination take place? If there is such a McDonalds, I would like to know.

M.I.A.
10-03-2016, 06:53 PM
...yeah i see where this is going.

back to raymen noodles.

although allah swt does say.. for those that deny themselves is a great reward.

totally wrong context but whatever.

...told you we should have bought a slaughterhouse!!

everything free range and organic..

although i suppose i would have to dress like a hipster.

may allah swt protect us from the evil of our own selves and the evil of the shaitan and his followers.

anyway way off topic, fishes are a lot easier..

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 07:32 PM
You mentioned something very important, there. Muslims should try to slaughter their own animals. It will be a very commendable act for a Muslim to open a butchery of his own. And the meat he sells in his butchery should be what he himself has slaughtered. He should find a farm that has livestock, buy the sheep, goats, cows, etc. slaughter them himself, hire a blockman (or learn to be one himself) to cut up the meat with all the cuts people like, and sell them himself. He can then supply the Muslim take-aways and restaurants in his area, as well as offer delivery of meat to people's houses. That will make things a lot easier for the Muslims living in that particular area. Now, the more Muslims who do that, the easier things become, and the more accessible Halaal meat becomes to the Muslim public.

M.I.A.
10-03-2016, 07:36 PM
exactly..

although allah swt raises and lowers as he wills.

everything is easy when your not going uphill..

although maybe i would not like to be going downhill either..

always waiting the right wind i should say.

what wind?

the wind we persue.

....which makes no sense really. get back to fishes already!

row ya filthy lan lubbers!

Scimitar
10-03-2016, 09:34 PM
You need to open the can, then separate the tuna from the water. A drag...
what? :D

You can't get easier fish preparation than tuna from a can dude...

Scimi

Kiro
10-03-2016, 09:40 PM
what? :D

You can't get easier fish preparation than tuna from a can dude...

Scimi
I guess the listless beast in me is too strong...

Scimitar
10-03-2016, 10:05 PM
I guess the listless beast in me is too strong...
"Don't waste yourself" - Bruce Lee (enter the dragon [fishing boat scene] )

Canned option looking good now?

:)

Scimi

talibilm
10-03-2016, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
...the nicest fish is.. filet o'fish for sure.

i miss it "/

if i get to go to a muslim country i hope they have a mcdonalds.

I missed them too when I went to follow strict standards of Halal . but I found a way out, inshallah hope it helps you too.

In Thailand we get frozen breaded fried fish ( 50% cooked) or fish nuggets you can fry this and use bread with Sandwich spread with its sour taste and fiiled up with onions, tomato I feel this as a substitute has fulfilled this gap to a large extent at a cheaper cost too ;D.

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 12:25 AM
fish fingers with a slice of cheese in a warmed bun - add tartar sauce, voila. Fillet of fish, at home.

Scimi

Kiro
10-04-2016, 07:50 AM
"Don't waste yourself" - Bruce Lee (enter the dragon [fishing boat scene] )

Canned option looking good now?

:)

Scimi
that's a drag

Serinity
10-04-2016, 09:34 AM

In Jannah, In shaa' Allah, I'd like to eat a super sized fish, say tuna. Tuna's size x150 times bigger.

I tried salmon, or whatever kind of fish it was.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-04-2016, 09:39 AM
One very big advantage of fish is that fish is always Halaal. Unlike with meat and chicken, you don't have to worry if it is Halaal or Haraam. Fish doesn't get slaughtered. You can eat fish by even a fishery run by a Kaafir. It doesn't have to be Muslim owned and nor do the staff need to be Muslims. However, the one thing you have to look out for is that the fishery does not sell things which are Haraam (such as meat or chicken products), and thus there is the risk of contamination.

Serinity
10-04-2016, 09:48 AM
That is why I like fish... no worries. Except for contaminaton.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-04-2016, 09:51 AM
My favourites are in this order:

1) Meat.

2) Chicken.

3) Fish.

Despite the many benefits and advantages of fish, it still can't compare with meat, for me.

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM
that's a drag
be careful, you may end up in "drag" :D

Scimi

Serinity
10-04-2016, 02:52 PM

Scimi
That is a drag....... what a drag...

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-04-2016, 03:02 PM
That is why I like fish... no worries. Except for contaminaton.
Do you buy from fisheries?

Kiro
10-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Scimi
it's a drag to not drag, what a drag

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 04:06 PM
it's a drag to not drag, what a drag
...wait, you do "drag" ??? :facepalm:

Kiro
10-04-2016, 04:08 PM
...wait, you do "drag" ??? :facepalm:
explaining and clarifying is a pain

conserving energy

what's a drag? a drag queen?

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Thought that was obvious, by just reading thru this thread... stop playing innocent. :D

Scimi

Kiro
10-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Thought that was obvious, by just reading thru this thread... stop playing innocent. :D

Scimi
Excuse me if I'm not a Scimi

do you like fish fingers?

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Excuse me if I'm not a Scimi
Would you like to be?

if you do, prepare for some happy slaps :D

if not - excuse yourself :)

do you like fish fingers?
As much (or as little) as the next guy. And it also depends on whether they are Captain Birdseye branded or not.

Scimi

Kiro
10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Would you like to be?

if you do, prepare for some happy slaps :D

if not - excuse yourself :)

As much (or as little) as the next guy. And it also depends on whether they are Captain Birdseye branded or not.

Scimi
Happy slaps? Do those give you happiness?

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Who's tasted a Blobfish yet?

noraina
10-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Who's tasted a Blobfish yet?

If I remember correctly it is a deep sea fish. The creatures that deep into the ocean are quite ajeeb.

Thankfully you don't find them in your regular pond or puddle.

Serinity
10-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Do you buy from fisheries?
I buy from stores/supermarkets. I usually have my mom buy.

Everytime I was doubtful of whether the pizza was halal or not, I chose Tuna Pizza.

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 06:50 PM
I chose Tuna Pizza.
same here, with jalapeno, pineapple, mushroom and black olive... yup

I prefer with chicken tho

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Fish is nicest when it's from a fishery (by people who know how to make it just right), and of course, chips as the side dish, and served with coleslaw.

So these are the kinds of option people have when Halaal meat isn't readily available. Either slaughter your own meat, or choose fish.

It would actually work out cheaper if you went to a farm, bought a sheep, slaughtered it yourself, had a blockman cut it up for you, and stored it at home in your freezer. If you bought that same amount of meat from a butchery, you'd spend much more. At the same time, when going to the farm, you can buy and slaughter a couple of chickens one time, and those you can skin and cut up yourself because it's very simple. That takes care of your meat and chicken. Then you can even go fishing if you like, or buy fresh fish and store it in your freezer, and now you're stocked up with Halaal meats. Cut out restaurants and take-aways. If you have to buy food (because you don't have the time to make, for example,) then there are always fisheries. Buy fish and chips. If you do this, you'll get three benefits:

1. Only eating Halaal, Tayyib food.
  2. Saving money.
  3. It's healthier.

I make my own pizzas instead of buying. Pizzas are very easy to make. Chicken pizzas are the nicest.

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 07:46 PM
how about the sauce? you make that from pomidoro tomatoes yourself? or is it store bought? (I cheat, and get the store bought one)

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-04-2016, 07:48 PM
No, I make the sauce myself.

Scimitar
10-04-2016, 07:50 PM
You badman (that means good in today's inverted terminology btw)

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-04-2016, 07:52 PM
And of course, pizzas must have olives. They're another of my favourites. (I don't think there are Arabs who don't like olives? If there are, I haven't met them.)

Serinity
10-05-2016, 05:08 AM

Slaughtering your own meat, fishing at the fisherie etc. Actually serves as good training for hunting for food, In shaa' Allah.

It may also make one more grateful. Instead of buying it from the stores and stuff. If one buys it by slaughtering etc. One may even be more grateful and at awe when eating it.........

Idk tho. But you get some motion on them legs. :)

noraina
10-05-2016, 05:21 PM
If it is fairly easy and possible for you to make something at home, then you should do so inshaAllah.

Like breads or desserts or biscuits or pizza....anything really. You can be assured it will be halal, as well as the fact it'll taste 100x better and won't be filled with preservatives or anything like that.

Of course, fish and chips you must buy from the pros. Fish and chips is possibly one of the tastiest things in the world - I've never met a Brit who doesn't like fish and chips, lol. I actually live down the road from a very well-known chippie in the surrounding area - and its halal!

Scimitar
10-05-2016, 05:32 PM
the chinese one in leytonstone is pretty good and cheap too. but theres always a queue which takes ages... good ole fish n chips fridays (after jummah vibe) :D

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-05-2016, 05:54 PM
People in countries with colder climates seem to like fish & chips more than people from places with hotter climates. Among the African people, chicken is top. Among the Boere community, meat is top. Especially wors. Braais. Among the Arabs, also, meat is everyone's favourite.

So it seems like the hotter climates prefer meat and the colder climates prefer fish.

noraina
10-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Actually Friday tends to be the day we eat fish and chips, when we do. My dad comes early from work on Jummah anyway so we ask him to bring fish and chips on the way back...tastes extra nice after the Jummah prayer, lol.

I do prefer fish myself, and potatoes....my relatives who have grown up back home don't understand that food choice at all.

Zeal
10-05-2016, 06:27 PM
I really try shark-fin soup

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Among the Indian community in SA, Fridays lunch is almost always Biryaani or curry & roti/rice, etc. You know, the "Indian foods". Almost mandatory.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.