/* */

PDA

View Full Version : (Black muslims) How many times have you been asked if you are in The Nation of Islam?

sister_39738
10-03-2016, 04:23 AM
Before I reverted I had not even heard of The Nation of Islam. Of course I heard of Malcom X but I just thought he was muslim (not in the nation of islam). I have been asked twice if I am in the nation of Islam. Once by a muslim woman I went to high school with. I was confused by it because I wasn't aware of the distinction and just assumed that all muslim held the same fundamental beliefs. But she informed me that the nation was a black political movement that did not hold the same beliefs of Islam. How many times have you been asked if at all? I think some of the standoffishness (not a word) I face from some muslim women (mostly saudi). Perhaps they assume I am a part of the nation of islam. I also have a problem explaining to non muslims some of the things that the people from the nation tell them.A few weeks ago a friend of mine expressed a interest in Islam but she started telling me about Amadiah Muslims who believe that another prophet came after Muhammad. I had a hard time trying to explain to her that belief was not a part of actual islam. Which was hard because I was trying not to sound judgmental. So I just gave her a link to newmuslims.com which is the website I used when I first started learning about islam. My mother who is a non muslim has also been told false things by her boyfriend who is part of the nation of islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aaj
10-03-2016, 02:52 PM
I believe the question of being part of NOI is or would be asked to African Muslims more than of any other background. I'm assuming by now you have read up on who NOI are and how they are different from us, if not then that would be a good start so it's easier to tell others how they differ. I wouldn't worry about being "judged" by others. You are stating facts and nothing more. I would just say that is not part of mainstream Islam. To the non-Muslims, just explain that NOI just shares the name "Islam" with mainstream Islam, otherwise they are not part of Islam, nor are ahmadiyyah or anyone else that claims contrary to what the orthodox mainstream Islam teaches.

As for your mother, just let her know that what her bf tells her is what the NOI believe and not views of mainstream orthodox Islam and to ask you about that.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Malcolm X used to belong to the NOI, but later on he left them and accepted the true Islaam.

Born_Believer
10-03-2016, 05:52 PM
I think it's probably a more American-centric question?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karl
10-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Things go haywire in the USA. NOI formed as a backlash against the WASPs (white Anglo Saxon Protestants) who had enslaved negroes in the past. The thing is, the Arab Muslims were trading negro slaves with the whites for years and the irony is that the WASPs in Britain later banned the slavery of negroes but the Muslims did not. So the NOI hate the white Christians who emancipated them. Malcom X went to Saudi Arabia and his ignorance was lifted by the Imams.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.