/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Felow muslims how do you deal with depression?

sister_39738
10-06-2016, 10:19 PM
If it was not for Allah I would have killed myself. I have had depression since the 3rd or 4th grade. I don't know if it is chemical or situational but it has affected every part of my life. Add the stress of college, work, and a dysfunctional family and most days I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water. Its holding me back from progressing in every part of life and I don't know what to do. I cope by doing unhealthy things. Logically I know I should turn to Allah when I feel like this but I feel like my depression has even put a barrier between me and Allah. How do you cope?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aaqib
10-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Read Qu'ran and pray salah, make dua...

then there is some physical ones like exercising and having out with friends.

Little_Lion
10-07-2016, 01:30 AM
I have severe depression and anxiety (and some other issues) to the point that I am on disability for it and cannot work. Mine is about 80% chemical . . . even when things are going wonderfully I can still have major depressive occurrences, but I have also had some major issues in my life that are also a factor. Prayer was not enough to keep my head above water, so I sought professional help and am now on several medications.

A few things to keep in mind when taking the medication route . . . first of all, there's no "test" to see which medication is going to work in your particular instance, so you have to be patient while they may need to try several different ones, and each trial can take a few weeks to see if it is working. Then, when they find one that works, it is not a "magic pill". You are still going to have SOME depressive stages, but they will not be as common, severe, or last as long. But if you have something majorly bad happen in your life then yes, you will still get depressed, even on medication. Finally, there are side effects. They can make you sleepy, they can affect your memory, they can affect your sex drive, and they can affect your concentration. I went from going to college full time with a 4.0 GPA (that's perfect grades here in the US, if you're not familiar with our grading system since I do not know where you are) to having to drop out of school; now I take free classes on Islamic Sciences online, but I can only handle one class at a time, and that over a very prolonged schedule as it takes me a long time to retain it, and my grades are not as good. Keep in mind though that I am on HEAVY medication, including anti-psychotics, so their effect on you may not be nearly as bad depending on what you are prescribed.

Allah protect you . . . depression is a scary thing, but He did give our doctors ways of helping us deal with it. Do not hesitate to use them, you are not a weaker person for going that route.

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 02:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
I have severe depression and anxiety (and some other issues) to the point that I am on disability for it and cannot work. Mine is about 80% chemical . . . even when things are going wonderfully I can still have major depressive occurrences, but I have also had some major issues in my life that are also a factor. Prayer was not enough to keep my head above water, so I sought professional help and am now on several medications.

A few things to keep in mind when taking the medication route . . . first of all, there's no "test" to see which medication is going to work in your particular instance, so you have to be patient while they may need to try several different ones, and each trial can take a few weeks to see if it is working. Then, when they find one that works, it is not a "magic pill". You are still going to have SOME depressive stages, but they will not be as common, severe, or last as long. But if you have something majorly bad happen in your life then yes, you will still get depressed, even on medication. Finally, there are side effects. They can make you sleepy, they can affect your memory, they can affect your sex drive, and they can affect your concentration. I went from going to college full time with a 4.0 GPA (that's perfect grades here in the US, if you're not familiar with our grading system since I do not know where you are) to having to drop out of school; now I take free classes on Islamic Sciences online, but I can only handle one class at a time, and that over a very prolonged schedule as it takes me a long time to retain it, and my grades are not as good. Keep in mind though that I am on HEAVY medication, including anti-psychotics, so their effect on you may not be nearly as bad depending on what you are prescribed.

Allah protect you . . . depression is a scary thing, but He did give our doctors ways of helping us deal with it. Do not hesitate to use them, you are not a weaker person for going that route.
I am in therapy now which helps a lot. My therapist is from the middle east (but not muslim) which makes it less awkward when I'm talking about Allah or islam. She is great and has been a blessing from Allah but I still battle with heavy depression. Medicine didn't work for me because I had such a hard life with years of built up emotional trauma. As a result I have anxiety, PTSD, and low self esteem accompanied by depression. Prayer helps most times but not always and when I get depressed it makes it hard to pray. I try to study islam as much as I can but I have a hard time managing everything already on my plate. I find it really hard to concentrate so I can really only focus on one thing at a time. I'm really trying not to dropout of school but like everything in life I feel life I feel like I can only accomplish enough to keep afloat. I feel like I'm sinning because I'm depressed. I'm grateful that Allah brought me to islam and essentially saved me from killing myself but I cant muster up the passion I see in other muslims I know. May Allah bless me and keep me out of the hands of Shaiytan.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kritikvernunft
10-07-2016, 05:17 AM
If it was not for Allah I would have killed myself. I have had depression since the 3rd or 4th grade. I don't know if it is chemical or situational but it has affected every part of my life. Add the stress of college, work, and a dysfunctional family and most days I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water. Its holding me back from progressing in every part of life and I don't know what to do. I cope by doing unhealthy things. Logically I know I should turn to Allah when I feel like this but I feel like my depression has even put a barrier between me and Allah. How do you cope?
Willpower is indeed essential to overcome adversity and faith is certainly the greatest source of willpower. Still, depression may also be caused by particular shortages of minerals in your body. There are quite a few examples for that. For anemia, for example, it is often a lack of iron. For particular skin infestations, it is a shortage of copper that causes it. If they manage to discover which minerals are short in the relevant brain organs, the lack of which disturbs the regulation of your moods, they can direct you to natural foods that contain these minerals in larger quantities, or even advise you to take particular food supplements. It is for example possible that you would need more traces of lithium than is generally available in your food, and that it is this shortage deregulates your mood, but that is certainly not the case for all cases of depression. If the supplements that the doctor recommends, could not possibly occur as natural mineral traces in your food, I would be more wary, and surely ask for a second opinion, because quite a bit of entirely artificial medication has questionable side effects, and often causes more trouble than it solves. You would need a doctor who truly understands the limitations of this approach, and not one who prescribes whatever, just because the pharmacy happens to be trading in it.

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
Willpower is indeed essential to overcome adversity and faith is certainly the greatest source of willpower. Still, depression may also be caused by particular shortages of minerals in your body. There are quite a few examples for that. For anemia, for example, it is often a lack of iron. For particular skin infestations, it is a shortage of copper that causes it. If they manage to discover which minerals are short in the relevant brain organs, the lack of which disturbs the regulation of your moods, they can direct you to natural foods that contain these minerals in larger quantities, or even advise you to take particular food supplements. It is for example possible that you would need more traces of lithium than is generally available in your food, and that it is this shortage deregulates your mood, but that is certainly not the case for all cases of depression. If the supplements that the doctor recommends, could not possibly occur as natural mineral traces in your food, I would be more wary, and surely ask for a second opinion, because quite a bit of entirely artificial medication has questionable side effects, and often causes more trouble than it solves. You would need a doctor who truly understands the limitations of this approach, and not one who prescribes whatever, just because the pharmacy happens to be trading in it.
I think you might need to do more research. Lack of minerals cannot cause long term depression which I have had for eleven years. If I had mineral defincies for that long I would have a lot of physical problems. Also, I eat pretty healthy and can get most of my minerals through food.

aaj
10-07-2016, 04:30 PM
I am in therapy now which helps a lot. My therapist is from the middle east (but not muslim) which makes it less awkward when I'm talking about Allah or islam. She is great and has been a blessing from Allah but I still battle with heavy depression. Medicine didn't work for me because I had such a hard life with years of built up emotional trauma. As a result I have anxiety, PTSD, and low self esteem accompanied by depression. Prayer helps most times but not always and when I get depressed it makes it hard to pray. I try to study islam as much as I can but I have a hard time managing everything already on my plate. I find it really hard to concentrate so I can really only focus on one thing at a time. I'm really trying not to dropout of school but like everything in life I feel life I feel like I can only accomplish enough to keep afloat. I feel like I'm sinning because I'm depressed. I'm grateful that Allah brought me to islam and essentially saved me from killing myself but I cant muster up the passion I see in other muslims I know. May Allah bless me and keep me out of the hands of Shaiytan.
You have come a long way and mashallah have accomplished a lot. This life is a struggle and we all have our struggles, it just varies person to person. You seem like a strong person, inshallah keep going and don't give up. Dropping out is not a good option, if its too much then consider doing it part time. Having a college education will make it easier in terms of finding a job that will accommodate your health concerns. Every Muslim has different level of passions as well as iman. It is not static, it goes up and down. Allah sees what you can do and want to do and you get ajr for both inshallah. So stay strong and keep going sister, you are doing great! :)

May Allah make it easy for you inshallah.

mission2succeed
10-07-2016, 05:26 PM
:salam:

I advice everyone who is inflicted with depression and evil thoughts to watch the recommended videos below. It is highly possible that you could be inflicted with the evil eye, black magic or jinn possession.

http://ummahboard.com/showthread.php...Saeed-Abdullah

kritikvernunft
10-07-2016, 05:26 PM
I think you might need to do more research.
Well, what I would do, is to just go to a doctor and check what he says. If it makes sense -- not necessarily -- I would be tempted to try it. So, I certainly did not recommend to just swallow whatever they would throw in your general direction. However, with a bit of common sense, a visit to the doctor should be manageable, I guess.

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mission2succeed

I advice everyone who is inflicted with depression and evil thoughts to watch the recommended videos below. It is highly possible that you could be inflicted with the evil eye, black magic or jinn possession.
Be very careful when considering if someone is afflicted with the evil eye, magic, or jinn. If you fear them more than Allah that will lead to shirk. Also, I trust Allah and his angels to protect me from that kind of evil. Pretty sure my depression is from a hard life and not a jinn.

sister_39738
10-07-2016, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
Well, what I would do, is to just go to a doctor and check what he says. If it makes sense -- not necessarily -- I would be tempted to try it. So, I certainly did not recommend to just swallow whatever they would throw in your general direction. However, with a bit of common sense, a visit to the doctor should be manageable, I guess.
I have been to a doctor and a psychiatrist for my depression and general health. I don't believe you know the difference between depression and feeling a little down.

mission2succeed
10-07-2016, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mission2succeed

Be very careful when considering if someone is afflicted with the evil eye, magic, or jinn. If you fear them more than Allah that will lead to shirk. Also, I trust Allah and his angels to protect me from that kind of evil. Pretty sure my depression is from a hard life and not a jinn.

Jazakillah khair sis for your concern but I do not agree with what you are saying as there are many people out there who have this problem yet they do not realise or turn a blind eye towards this matter. You can only be sure after you have performed self rukiyah on yourself. You have to realise even our beloved prophet Muhammad pbuh was inflicted with black magic and he was the best of creation. No one knows what will happen tomorrow other than Allah and if this matter is decreed on an individual then it is down to two things. 1) They are committing too much sins 2) Allah wants to test them even more so don't see the above as a bad thing. And I never said you are inflicted but I said it is highly possible as depression is one of its many signs. Telling someone about this is not fearing the jinn but challenging them and fighting off the harm they could be causing. As far as the love of my creator is concerned that is between myself and my creator and shirk has nothing to do with this.

drac16
10-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Salam alaykum

I suffer from depression, too. What helps me is to sleep. Have a nap when you're feeling low. Always remember that Allah aza wa jal loves you. He loves all muslims. Your depression is an opportunity for you to become closer to Allah than you would otherwise. With every amount of pain you experience, He is making you more like His prophets, because they suffered a lot. Allah will give you a sufficient amount of grace to overcome.

Nature also helps me relax. I live near a river and I can go there whenever I want to, listen to the birds and breathe in some fresh air. Give it a try, insha Allah. Go outside in the morning and listen to the birds chirping. If you live near a trail, a forest or a river, go for a walk there.

sister_39738
10-08-2016, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by drac16
Salam alaykum

I suffer from depression, too. What helps me is to sleep. Have a nap when you're feeling low. Always remember that Allah aza wa jal loves you. He loves all muslims. Your depression is an opportunity for you to become closer to Allah than you would otherwise. With every amount of pain you experience, He is making you more like His prophets, because they suffered a lot. Allah will give you a sufficient amount of grace to overcome.

Nature also helps me relax. I live near a river and I can go there whenever I want to, listen to the birds and breathe in some fresh air. Give it a try, insha Allah. Go outside in the morning and listen to the birds chirping. If you live near a trail, a forest or a river, go for a walk there.
Walking does make me feel better and listening to nature sounds. I don't go to the gym as much anymore because when people see a hijabi they act like I just dropped in from another planet but I will try to walk more.:statisfie

kritikvernunft
10-08-2016, 03:38 AM
Even though I also believe that speculative medication is not the way to go, and generally not suitable for problems that are often of lifestyle or spirituality:

The UK National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) 2009 guidelines indicate that antidepressants should not be routinely used for the initial treatment of mild depression, because the risk-benefit ratio is poor. A recent meta-analysis also indicated that most antidepressants, besides fluoxetine, do not seem to offer a clear advantage for children and adolescents in the acute treatment of major depressive disorder.

Still, you can see that what you consume, can certainly have bad influence on your mind, and create serious disturbances in your mood:

Very high levels of substance abuse occur in the psychiatric population, especially alcohol, sedatives and cannabis. Depression and other mental health problems can have a substance induced cause.

Conversely, what you consume, can also have a good influence:

Preventative efforts may result in decreases in rates of the condition of between 22 and 38%. Eating large amounts of fish may also reduce the risk. There is some evidence that fish oil supplements containing high levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) to docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) may be effective in major depression. Lithium appears effective at lowering the risk of suicide in those with bipolar disorder and unipolar depression to nearly the same levels as the general population. Lithium salts may also be helpful for related diagnoses, such as schizoaffective disorder and cyclic major depression. Foods or food sources rich in lithium include all kinds of dairy products, sugarcane, seaweed, potatoes, lemons and eggs. Natural mineral water is also said to have a good source of lithium.

I think that it would make sense for a person with depression to eat fish or dairy products when he would otherwise eat meat, and to liberally replace other oils by fish oil, wherever feasible. There is of course no guarantee that every person suffering from depression would visibly benefit, but it would also not be dangerous for him to adjust his diet and check if it helps.

sister_39738
10-08-2016, 03:57 AM
I don't have mild depression, mine is actually really severe and has been for years. Secondly I already eat a lot of fish, vegetables, fruits, and grains. Still have depression. Its caused by more then what you eat. My diet wont heal the years of trauma I have experienced. Also, I have never been on drugs or alcohol.

eesa the kiwi
10-08-2016, 08:37 AM
5. It was reported from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No person suffers any anxiety or grief, and says:

للّهُـمَّ إِنِّي عَبْـدُكَ ابْنُ عَبْـدِكَ ابْنُ أَمَتِـكَ نَاصِيَتِي بِيَـدِكَ، مَاضٍ فِيَّ حُكْمُكَ، عَدْلٌ فِيَّ قَضَاؤكَ أَسْأَلُـكَ بِكُلِّ اسْمٍ هُوَ لَكَ سَمَّـيْتَ بِهِ نَفْسَكَ أِوْ أَنْزَلْتَـهُ فِي كِتَابِكَ، أَوْ عَلَّمْـتَهُ أَحَداً مِنْ خَلْقِـكَ أَوِ اسْتَـأْثَرْتَ بِهِ فِي عِلْمِ الغَيْـبِ عِنْـدَكَ أَنْ تَجْـعَلَ القُرْآنَ رَبِيـعَ قَلْبِـي، وَنورَ صَـدْرِي وجَلَاءَ حُـزْنِي وذَهَابَ هَمِّـي

‘Allaahumma innee ‘abduka wa ibn ‘abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika, maadin fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka, as’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghaybi ‘andak an taj’ala al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’a huzni wa dhahaaba hammi’

“O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your female slave, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every Name belonging to You which You named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety”

but Allaah will take away his sorrow and grief, and give him in their stead joy.” (Ahmad 1/391)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.