View Full Version : Kung fu

Kiro
10-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Anyone done it?

What do they think of it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
10-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Kung Fu, simply means "Supreme Skill"... a chef knows kung fu, a basket weaver knows kung fu, a road sweeper knows kung fu - it's all about practice.

Supreme Skill - has to be worked for.

That's quite simply the ethos behind Kung Fu

Scimi

Snow
10-08-2016, 06:32 PM
I would recommend BJJ if you can find it

Kiro
10-09-2016, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Kung Fu, simply means "Supreme Skill"... a chef knows kung fu, a basket weaver knows kung fu, a road sweeper knows kung fu - it's all about practice.

Supreme Skill - has to be worked for.

That's quite simply the ethos behind Kung Fu

Scimi
but can you do it

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
10-09-2016, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
but can you do it
You ask me to teach you, then you ask me if I can even do it :D

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-09-2016, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
I would recommend BJJ if you can find it
Definitely.

Kiro
10-10-2016, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Definitely.
what is that

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم and the Sahaabah used to wrestle. So, if you can learn any style that focuses on wrestling and grappling is good to learn, In Shaa Allaah.

Snow
10-10-2016, 07:16 PM
what is that
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
It is basically old school Judo, with the focus on ne wasa/ ground technique.
It is very practical.
As most fights end up on the ground.

A fellow called Royce Gracie made it mostly famous, as he was a small guy that beat bigger men in no holds barred fights.

The Gracies have their own style, mostly focused on practical self defense.

If you are interested, you should look up Damian Maia.
He is getting close to fight for the belt in the UFC, and he really does not rely on striking.
It is weird watching how much he dominates great fighters.
Werdum is another one.

Kiro
10-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم and the Sahaabah used to wrestle. So, if you can learn any style that focuses on wrestling and grappling is good to learn, In Shaa Allaah.
Did Umar Ibn Khattab and The Prophet :saws1: ever wrestle against each other...?

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Did Umar Ibn Khattab and The Prophet :saws1: ever wrestle against each other...?
No. As far as I know, Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم only wrestled with one Sahaabi, and that was Rukaanah ibn `Abd Yazeed. And at the time, Rukaanah wasn't yet a Muslim. Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم defeated him, and that caused him to accept Islaam, because prior to that, Rukaanah was the undefeated champion wrestler of the Arabs.

Kiro
10-11-2016, 11:12 AM
No. As far as I know, Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم only wrestled with one Sahaabi, and that was Rukaanah ibn `Abd Yazeed. And at the time, Rukaanah wasn't yet a Muslim. Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم defeated him, and that caused him to accept Islaam, because prior to that, Rukaanah was the undefeated champion wrestler of the Arabs.
Did martial arts exist at the time of Sahaaba?

Also, why do we say the Arabic word when referring to the companions...

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Did martial arts exist at the time of Sahaaba?

Also, why do we say the Arabic word when referring to the companions...
1) It existed, but not in the Arabian Peninsula (Jazeeratul `Arab). It existed in China long before then.

2) Because Arabic words have no true English equivalent. Arabic words cannot truly be translated verbatim into English; they have to be explained. A single word in Arabic can have a page long explanation, but the English translation would be a single word. Thus, all of the meaning is missed out. Take for example those who translate "Rabb" as "Lord". What does "Lord" mean? "One who has some authority over others." "Some authority." Even regular people were called "Lords" in the old days. But what does Rabb mean? Some of what it means is:

1. Al-Maalik: The Absolute Owner.
  2. As-Sayyid: The Master. The One Who has complete authority. No one has absolute authority of anything except Allaah Ta`aalaa. You do not have absolute authority over even your house, your car, your firearm, or anything else. Absolute authority means you can do with it as you want. Can you do what you want to with your gun? You can't. There are laws. Laws that apply to your house, to your car, to your money and to everything else. The government has a say and partial ownership in all of those things. They will tell you what you can do with your car and what you can't. Where you can ride and where you can't. But Allaah Ta`aalaa is the Creator and He has absolute authority over everything that He has created. He can and does whatever He wants with His creation. No one can object to Allaah Ta`aalaa. No one has a say in the Decree of Allaah Ta`aalaa. This is "Complete Authority". So Allaah Ta`aalaa is The Owner and He has Absolute Authority over everything that He owns.
  3. Al-Murabbee: The One Who does Tarbiyah. Murabbee is from "Rabbaa - Yurabbee - Tarbiyatan", and it means to look after something until it reaches the stage you want it to reach. Allaah Ta`aalaa is the One Who has always looked after us and taken care of us.
  4. Al-Murshid: The One Who guides.
  5. Al-Mun`im: The One Who bestows favours. The One Who grants "Ni`mah". Ni`mah is a favour or gift you grant to someone despite not owing them anything.
  6. Al-Qayyim: The One Who takes care (of something). This word implies that if you were to not take care of this particular thing, it would die. Like a flower, for example. The farmer (or whoever is looking after the flower) takes care of it regularly. Should he stop doing so for even one day (with some flowers), it will die. Allaah Ta`aalaa is "Al-Qayyim". He takes care of the entire creation. If Allaah Ta`aalaa were to not take care of them, they would die. They would no longer exist. Their existence is dependent on Allaah Ta`aalaa.

All of these words are implied by the word "Rabb". So can you ever substitute the word "Rabb" for the word "Lord"? Never ever.

The purpose of translation is to take the message that is being conveyed in one particular language and convey it (that same message) in another language. Is the message of "Rabb" being conveyed in the word "Lord"? No it is not. That is the reason why we prefer to use the Arabic words such as Rabb, Imaan, Deen, Sahaabah, Malaa'ikah, Jinn, etc. rather than what people refer to as "their English equivalents". That's because these words do not have English equivalents. The English language is wholly incapable to conveying the meaning those words convey. That is why we explain certain words rather than translate them.

Waadhih
? (Is it clear?)

Na`am.

Daniel1998
10-11-2016, 11:52 AM
That's intesting,i didn't know it existed before

Scimitar
10-11-2016, 11:59 AM
1) It existed, but not in the Arabian Peninsula (Jazeeratul `Arab).
Each nation throughout known history practiced "martial art" - for the Arabs, it was wrestling.

it is interesting how throughout history, martial arts was usually confined to the military.

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Each nation throughout known history practiced "martial art" - for the Arabs, it was wrestling.
That's true. Wrestling also falls under martial arts. When a lot people think about martial arts, though, they're thinking about the fighting styles of China and Japan. I think that's what Kiro was referring to as well.

Scimitar
10-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Yes, a shame really... traditional Chinese MA is based off Kalaripayattu, an Indian form of Military Spec Martial Art from ancient times.

Some of the weapons they developed, were menacing.

Scimi

Kiro
10-11-2016, 01:38 PM
1)
Waadhih
? (Is it clear?)

Na`am.
Aycha

Yes, a shame really... traditional Chinese MA is based off Kalaripayattu, an Indian form of Military Spec Martial Art from ancient times.

Some of the weapons they developed, were menacing.

Scimi
You starting to sound like those uncles that sit on a table and talk about politics

maybe I should prepare you some tea

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-11-2016, 02:50 PM
maybe I should prepare you some tea
Elachi tea.

Scimitar
10-11-2016, 03:02 PM
dood patti :)

Scimi

Snow
10-11-2016, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daniel1998
That's intesting,i didn't know it existed before
Martial arts are prehistoric.
People like to fight, so it made/makes sense to approach it with reason.
When I was doing Judo, I often wondered why it isn't taught in every school.
It is silly that most people do not spend a little time to learn basic things that may end up saving them from a bad situation.

I am a very relaxed person but I've had to fight at times.

Daniel1998
10-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Well we all have to fight at one point to defend our selves basically

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Islaam gives a lot of emphasis to training and becoming strong physically.

The Jaami`ah (Islaamic University) in Binori Town, Karachi (the famous one), had compulsory training for students. It even used to have soccer matches. All students were required to take part in training. I don't know if it's still the same now, though.

Snow
10-11-2016, 06:04 PM
had compulsory training for students.
Awesome.
And others should as well.
It is insane that most people do not know basic positions/submission.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Take a look at some narrations from Sahaabah regarding this issue. Hadhrat `Umar ibn al-Khattaab رضي الله عنه said, and this narration can be found in Kanz al-`Ummaal of Muttaqi al-Hindi, from Mak-hool, who said:

عن مكحول أن عمر رضي الله عنه كتب إلى أهل الشام: أن علموا أولادكم السباحة والرمي والفروسية

"`Umar رضي الله عنه wrote to the people of Shaam: "Teach your children swimming, archery and horse-riding."

This narration is also mentioned by Imaam al-Munaawi in "Faydh al-Qadeer".

عن سلمه بن الأكوع رضي الله عنه قال: مر النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم على نفر من أسلم ينتضلون، فقال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم: ارموا بني إسماعيل، فإن أباكم كان رامياً

Hadhrat Salamah ibn al-Akwa` رضي الله عنه narrates: "Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم passed by a group (of Sahaabah) who were practicing archery, so he said, "Shoot, O Bani Ismaa`eel, for indeed your father (Ismaa`eel عليه السلام) was an archer." [Narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari.]

[Note: The Arabs are known as "Bani Ismaa`eel". The Jews are known as "Bani Israa'eel".]

عن أبي علي ثمامة بن شفي أنه سمع عقبة بن عامر يقول: سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وهو على المنبر يقول: وأعدوا لهم ما استطعتم من قوة، ألا إن القوة الرمي، ألا إن القوة الرمي، ألا إن القوة الرمي

Hadhrat Abu `Ali Thumaamah رضي الله عنه narrates that he heard Hadhrat `Uqbah ibn `Aamir رضي الله عنه saying: "I heard Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم saying while he was on the Mimbar (explaining the Aayah): "And prepare against them (the enemy) whatever you can of power." (He said): "Indeed, power is shooting. Indeed, power is shooting. Indeed, power is shooting." [Narrated in Saheeh Muslim.]

Just as Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم had predicted, things turned out. In these days, power lies in shooting. You can be the strongest man in the world, but one bullet to the head and you will die.

Scimitar
10-11-2016, 07:40 PM
that reminds me of the robocop movie (1980's)

"Think you're pretty smart huh? think you can out smart a bullet?"

:D

(Kiro bait)

Scimi

M.I.A.
10-11-2016, 08:23 PM
new robocop movie was really cool..

nobody can outsmart a bullet..

i cant even win an argument with the window cleaner lol.

maybe its a game of enders thing. :/

Scimitar
10-11-2016, 10:25 PM

...no beard, means he was faking it

:D

Scimi

Little_Lion
10-14-2016, 04:00 AM
Related: http://mvslim.com/muslim-grandmaster...-martial-arts/

MazharShafiq
10-14-2016, 05:22 AM
The term Kung Fu refers to the martial arts of China. Kung Fu originated in a place called the Shaolin Temple, where monks practiced Kung Fu for health and self-defense during their quest for enlightenment.The first Shaolin temple was a Buddhist monastery built in 377 A.D. in the Henan province of China. In 527 A.D. a Buddhist prince, Bodhidharma, or Da Mo in Chinese, traveled to the temple for religious teaching, but found the monks weak and in poor health. To find a way to give the monks strength and vitality, Da Mo locked himself in a room for nine years of meditation. His resulting work, Yi Jin Jing, a series of exercises which developed strength, vitality, and internal energy, is considered the original Shaolin martial art.
Historically, Kung Fu in China was an integral part in the education of scholars and the leaders of government. The Chinese people placed great value in the practice of Kung Fu because they felt it taught respect, patience, humility, and morality.
Many Americans believe that Kung Fu is a term which describes a single martial art, much like Taekwondo, Judo, or Aikido. In reality, Kung Fu is a general term which includes hundreds of styles of Chinese martial arts. Some examples of Kung Fu styles are Long Fist, Eagle Claw, and Taiji Quan.
Another misconception is that Kung Fu is a "soft" style compared with Karate or other "hard" styles. This is not so: each Kung Fu style contains both hard and soft techniques. Also, many people believe that Kung Fu is an external style and Taiji Quan is an internal style. While most Kung Fu styles emphasize external development, all styles of Kung Fu contain both internal and external components.

Kiro
10-14-2016, 07:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
Martial arts are prehistoric.
People like to fight, so it made/makes sense to approach it with reason.
When I was doing Judo, I often wondered why it isn't taught in every school.
It is silly that most people do not spend a little time to learn basic things that may end up saving them from a bad situation.

I am a very relaxed person but I've had to fight at times.
Judo seems useful

Also what does being a relaxed person have to do with fighting at times?

Kiro
10-23-2016, 08:21 PM
fly people

fly

M.I.A.
10-23-2016, 08:29 PM
flying is easy..

landing is hard.

*shazam

Kiro
10-23-2016, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
flying is easy..

landing is hard.

*shazam
Not unless you're a cat

M.I.A.
10-23-2016, 08:51 PM
reminds me..

https://youtu.be/Z8yW5cyXXRc

Snow
10-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Judo seems useful

Also what does being a relaxed person have to do with fighting at times?
Maybe relaxed wasn't the right word.
Just not a tense one.
Not looking for trouble... you know.

Scimitar
10-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Not unless you're a cat
you're no cat, club foot :D

Scimi

Kiro
10-25-2016, 08:58 PM
you're no cat, club foot :D

Scimi
Hey, I can be whatever I want to be :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!