/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about exam

Mustafa16
10-11-2016, 02:15 AM
My exam is on October 22nd...

I took the SAT exam last year for college in11th grade, and got 72nd percentile in the nation, (1200 out of 1600) and I hardly studied.......I took an ACT prep class this summer, and on the first day we took a practice, simulation ACT test, and I scored 25 out of 36, (my exact score was 25.25 but they rounded) which was 81st percentile.....
and I got 69.3 percent questions correct.....(149 out of 215) after taking the class for a month, I scored a 25.5, (26 is 84th percentile)......
I started taking practice exams, both short and full, online, and the first time, I got 78.14 percent correct, (168 out of 215) and that was months ago........ today, I took a test, and I scored much lower, especially on math, since I haven't taken theoretical math classes this year, only one applied math class (Advanced-level math decision making)......
I got 148 out of 215 correct, but the computer says i got 25.5.....'
and today was a national holiday, so there was no school, and that's why I had the time to take the 3 hour exam..... im worried my math will suffer due to not taking theoretical math, and I'm worried I wont meet my potential in terms of overall score, as well as math......im very nervous, and I'm worried I'll have to use the bathroom during the real exam, however as part of my special education accommodations, I get extended time for the exam and breaks, where I walk.....im very nervous, and my mother keeps telling me to study saying I didn't do good enough, and need to get at least a 27, but I feel she is pushing me too hard and I'm not a good studier

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
10-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Mustafa16;

This may be one of the ways your autism helps you, as you say you have had good results with little study in the past. However, you do have a few days left to study, and maybe you should try and push yourself a little harder to make more effort. In ten years time, you will benefit more from the effort you put in now, your mum won't benefit so much, she is just trying to encourage you.

The thing that will bother you more in the future is, if you feel you could have tried harder, only you will be able to answer that question. Reduce the time you spend on the internet and watching the news, these things seem to distract you emotionally.

Failure only becomes failure when you give up, No one on earth can get everything right first time, we all fail at times, it just teaches us to get up and try again.

Spend more time in prayer.

Blessings,

Eric

noraina
10-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

Brother, you have some time still, so you should study as much as you can. Nervousness before an exam is normal and can even be a motivation to strive harder, but you shouldn't let it affect you to the extent you despair of failure and it crushes your own confidence.

And what hurts more than failure is knowing you could have done more and you didn't. Recently, I took my A-levels and for one of my subjects I didn't get the grade I had expected - I was so bitterly disappointed. A couple of months later I received an amazing, and even better opportunity, alhamdulillah, one I'd never have received if I'd got the grade I wanted. So as Eric H said there is no such thing as failure unless you give up. Sometimes you may not get what you want in order to receive something even better.

That said, study as hard as you can, make lots of dua and wake up for tahajjud, the duas at that time are particularly accepted.

As far as your mother goes, sometimes parents, when they want their children to do well, can come across as overbearing and pressurising. Try and put that aside for now, inshaAllah once she sees how hard you tried then it won't matter if you don't get that high a grade as you tried your best.

May Allah swt give you success upon success and may it benefit you in both the dunya and the akhirah. Ameen.

Little_Lion
10-11-2016, 12:35 PM
You might consider using Khan Academy to brush up on the parts of math that you are having trouble remembering. It's an excellent site and I think you would enjoy it very much in general.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.