/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My first time in a masjid

Little_Lion
10-11-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm posting this in "Halal Fun" because some people might find parts of this humorous. :)

Sheykh Yusuf Estes gave a talk at a masjid that was only (!) four hours from where I live. Though only Allah can bring us to Islam, this man definitely was helping Allah in bringing me to the Straight Path. It was through watching his television shows on Peace TV and listening to his lectures on Youtube that Islam became not just something to study, but a way of life for me. I took my shahada privately, in my own home, about three or four years ago, but I had never done it with witnesses. Now, I was determined that I was going to take my shahada from Yusuf Estes. He deserved the rewards for all he had done to bring me (and others, of course) to Islam.

Now, I had never been to a mosque, masjid, Islamic center, or anything like that, in my life. I had never even met another Muslim in person! I live in a city of 20,000 people in South Dakota - yes, we call that a city here, even though the whole city is only three square miles or so - and I am the only Muslim. The closest mosque is 45 minutes south, but they shut off their sister's section and it is men only. The next closest is an hour and a half away and when I called there once, I could not understand the imam at all, nor could he understand me. I think he was Somali (not that it makes a difference, just to explain the language barrier). So I never went there. But I figured this one four hours away, in Minneapolis, would probably be more multi-cultural.

I spent the whole morning TRYING to wear a hijab. It would fall off, the pins would scratch my head, it would slip down over my face . . . I do not own a cap of any type, nor had I ever worn hijab before, so it was a total failure. I ended up going with a scarf wrapped around my neck hoping some sisters could help me when I got there.

It was a long drive! But I made it, with about half an hour to spare before Maghrib. Only two other people were there before me (which floored me because I am chronically early everywhere and I never understand how others are not the same) and one nice gentleman directed me to the sister's section. I went into the wash area and began to make wudu and another sister came in and started talking to me! I was in shock, because to me wudu was always something you concentrated during. Granted, she was trying to help me since she knew I was new there and she was telling me a wonderful story about how where we wash for wudu will light up on Judgement Day, but I was still quite a bit freaked out. I have bad social anxiety anyway. :) But, I made my wudu, and she gave me some sandals to wear. There was my first mistake, I did not understand what the sandals were for and I wore them into the prayer area. She quickly corrected me (they were just for the washroom) but I still was mortified.

I met dozens of wonderful sisters from all over the world, and they made me feel very comfortable. It turned out many of them were from extended families that were there that night, so it was a bit surprising when I pieced together that of the 60 or so people that were there, most of them were relatives in about seven groups.

Finally it was time to pray. Keep in mind I have never had an individual teach me to pray, I had to learn from Youtube. On videos, every word is spoken aloud. I was caught very off guard when large parts of the prayer were silent. Thankfully I knew in general what to do, though I think I messed up the words quite a few times in my head.

And then, after that, Sheykh Yusuf Estes gave his talk. It was a WONDERFUL talk, but I was soooooooooo unprepared for what the sister's section was like. *laughs* Women texting. Women chatting. Kids running around EVERYWHERE. I could see into the men's section and they were all, for the better part, giving the Sheykh the attention he deserved. I kind of wished I was a brother at that point so I could be in a quieter area.

We prayed Isha', and then the Sheykh led my shahada. I wanted to cry because I had been waiting for that moment for such a long time, but I was just too happy to finally, publicly, dedicate my life to Allah. I've been suffering from low iman but by iman went over the moon in that moment. And of course, every sister had to hug me. And I had SOOO many phones shoved in my face because they all wanted my contact information. I spent the next 20 minutes just playing on cell phones putting my information in for them.

Oddly enough, I walked away with a souvenir of the night. The Sheykh was fundraising for GuideUs TV and he auctioned off two plush animals. I won a stuffed bear. I named it Shahada in honor of the evening.

Then it was time for the four hour drive home. I didn't get home until 1:30 in the morning, and I was so wound up that I stayed up for Fajr and then finally went to sleep. it was a wonderful night, and I just thought I would share it with everyone. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
10-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Mashallah that's a really beautiful story and I'm so glad you shared.

The first masjid I ever went to was the dome of the rock (qubbat al-sakhra). I also came from a really small town and there weren't any masjids around me. I was so excited that it was my first mosque to go to so I memorized a lot of dua's to pray when I was there.

When I finally got there and walked up the steps, the first sight of it was breathtaking and I fell in love lol. However, I think with all the excitement I went to pray without really thinking, and when I turned around, I realize all the brothers there were staring at me. Took me a minute to realize I had prayed in the male section :embarrass

sister herb
10-12-2016, 05:44 PM
I liked the stuffed bear part.

And story was nice too. Thanks for sharing. It reminded mine the first time in the mosque (it wasn´t real mosque but a big hall we prayed at the end of Ramadan). Before I went to there, I only was thinking like "don´t go to the first row, try to go to the last one, there others don´t see how badly I pray, not to the first..." and when the prayer started - I was of course in the middle of the first row but nobody noticed my possible mistakes.

;D

piXie
10-12-2016, 08:26 PM
:salamext:

I'm really glad you enjoyed your first experience at the mosque dear sister. May Allaah bless you with abundant good. Aameen.

format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
Though only Allah can bring us to Islam, this man definitely was helping Allah in bringing me to the Straight Path
I think you mean Allah helped him to bring you to the straight path. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
10-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

JazakAllah khayr for sharing this beautiful and wonderful experience, it really does be one of those memorable moments which stay with you forever.

The first time I entered a masjid was when I was around 10 years old for a school trip, we didn't really get to go inside but I remember staring through those glass door leading to the main prayer area and just thinking how breathtakingly beautiful it was.

InshaAllah, I hope to one day live somewhere with a large masjid nearby. I'm lucky if I get to enter one a couple of times a year.

But, lol sis @charisma, I've once walked right into the brother's section and got very disapproving stares. I wished I was a niqabi that day.

Little_Lion
10-12-2016, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
:salamext:

I'm really glad you enjoyed your first experience at the mosque dear sister. May Allaah bless you with abundant good. Aameen.

I think you mean Allah helped him to bring you to the straight path. :)

You are most definitely correct, sister. :)

gazzalii
10-26-2016, 10:29 PM
Subuhanallah Allhamdolillah

Insaanah
10-27-2016, 01:48 PM
this man definitely was helping Allah in bringing me to the Straight Path.
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
I think you mean Allah helped him to bring you to the straight path.
You are most definitely correct, sister.
Reminds me of this lovely hadeeth:

Anas bin Malik :ra: narratied that the Prophet :saws: said

"Verily, Allah is more pleased with the repentance of His slave than a person who has his camel in a waterless desert carrying his provision of food and drink and it is lost. He, having lost all hopes (to get that camel and provisions back), lies down in the shade and is disappointed about his camel; when all of a sudden he finds the camel standing before him. He takes hold of its reins and then out of boundless joy blurts out: 'O Allah, You are my slave and I am Your Lord!'. He commits this mistake out of extreme joy".

Sahih Muslim Book 1 hadeeth 15
Sahih Muslim 2747 a
In-book reference : Book 50, Hadith 9

anatolian
10-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Actually we can "help Allah" according to Quran..So what Little_Lion said has some truth in it.. :)

47:7 "O you who believe ! if you help Allah, He will help you and make firm your feet"

aaj
10-27-2016, 11:01 PM
I don't even remember my first time at the masjid. Growing up in a Muslim nation with masjids at every corner, going there is like going to the market. As kids we used to run through the masjid and play in its courtyard and sometimes pray too when it was prayer time.

Delete.
10-28-2016, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Actually we can "help Allah" according to Quran..So what Little_Lion said has some truth in it.. :)

47:7 "O you who believe ! if you help Allah, He will help you and make firm your feet"
Allah does not need our help in the least. Even if all mankind and the universe were extinguished Allah's Might and Power would never decrease. We were not created out of play, nor out of necessity. Nauzu BiLlah.

anatolian
10-28-2016, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ___
Allah does not need our help in the least. Even if all mankind and the universe were extinguished Allah's Might and Power would never decrease. We were not created out of play, nor out of necessity. Nauzu BiLlah.
Salam sister. Of course He does not need our help but in this ayah He asks us to help Him. There is a wisdom behind this. How can we "help" Allah? When we do what Allah wants to be done in this World we "help" Allah. When you preach Islam, or help people whom Allah wants us to help etc you somehow "help" Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.