/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims Are More Unpopular Than Atheists In The U.S.

islamirama
10-14-2016, 12:38 AM
Muslims Are More Unpopular Than Atheists In The U.S.

Islamophobia is real, and it likely won't go away anytime soon.

09/15/2016

It’s all too common to turn on the news and hear about yet another disgusting act of violence and intolerance toward Muslim Americans. These incidents aren’t coincidental ― they’re indicative of a dangerous trend of Islamophobia that doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon.

Multiple studies over recent years have shown that anti-Muslim and anti-Arab sentiment are rising in the United States. A 2015 HuffPost/YouGov poll found that 55 percent of Americans had either a somewhat or very unfavorable view of Islam.

But a new report from sociologists at the University of Minnesota demonstrates just how dire the situation is. In it, the sociologists found that negative attitudes toward Islam are not only higher than those toward any other religious or non-religious group, but are also rising at a faster rate.

The report analyzes data from the 2014 Boundaries in the American Mosaic (BAM) Survey, designed to replicate and expand on a 2003 American Mosaic Project study of religion, race, and diversity.

The study focuses on investigating anti-atheist sentiment, which has long held sway in the god-fearing, Christian-majority U.S. But based on 2,521 surveys with a random sample of American adults, the report found that in the 10-year period between the two studies, Muslims surpassed atheists as the religious or non-religious group Americans feel most at odds with.

In 2003, nearly 40 percent of respondents said they believed atheists didn’t agree with their “vision of American society.” Roughly 26 percent said the same about Muslims.

Just over 10 years later, attitudes toward atheists haven’t changed significantly. Roughly 42 percent of respondents say atheists don’t share their vision of American society.

But the share of Americans who say the same about Muslims has risen to 45.5 percent ― a steeper increase than any other group the study inquired about, including immigrants, conservative Christians, African Americans and those in the LGBT community.

(It’s worth noting that negative attitudes rose significantly across the board, suggesting Americans might be seeing themselves increasingly at odds with people of different backgrounds.)

Nearly half ― 48.9 percent ― of Americans also say they would disapprove if their child were to marry someone who is Muslim. That’s up from 33.5 percent in 2003 and higher than the 43.7 percent of Americans who say the same about atheists.

These negative feelings toward Muslims in the U.S. can have real and dangerous consequences. There have been over 100 hate crimes targeting Muslims in the U.S. since the Paris terror attacks last November, according to the group Muslim Advocates.

The Bridge Initiative also found that there were more acts of anti-Muslim violence and vandalism in 2015 than in any year since the 9/11 attacks. HuffPost has recorded more than 260 acts of anti-Muslim violence, discrimination and political speech in the country so far in 2016.

Madihha Ahussain, a staff attorney at Muslim Advocates, told HuffPost reporter Christopher Mathias in a recent article: “It’s just really alarming to see that no matter how many times we publicly talk about these incidents, there still doesn’t seem to be an end in sight.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b04a1497b31612

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kritikvernunft
10-14-2016, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Islamophobia is real, and it likely won't go away anytime soon.
Islamophobia is the reason why I discovered the existence of Islam. You see, a particular type of people whom I do not particularly sympathize with -- because they are so deplorable as Hillary Clinton correctly remarked -- did not like Islam. That is what triggered the intuition that there had to be something really good about Islam. Otherwise, these individuals, also known the despicables, would not be so up in arms against it.
A 2015 HuffPost/YouGov poll found that 55 percent of Americans had either a somewhat or very unfavorable view of Islam.
Well, yeah, that is the Trump constituency, the deplorables. They are the ones who pushed me in the arms of Islam. I really had no other choice.
Musims don’t share their vision of American society.
True. How could anybody right in his mind, share the vision of society that you can otherwise dig up in that deplorable Trump constituency?
Nearly half ― 48.9 percent ― of Americans also say they would disapprove if their child were to marry someone who is Muslim.
Well, by the time that their deplorable girls decide that they could use an idiot to marry them, they are already used up completely. That is why they cannot find the idiot required for their plans. Seriously, non-Muslims do not marry them either. If marriage is now a totally discredited practice in the US, why would that be? Marriage would still make sense if their deplorable girls were at least moderately suitable for marriage, which they aren't.

Al Sultan
10-14-2016, 12:32 PM
So you think that THERE is something really good in Islam?

Born_Believer
10-15-2016, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
Islamophobia is the reason why I discovered the existence of Islam. You see, a particular type of people whom I do not particularly sympathize with -- because they are so deplorable as Hillary Clinton correctly remarked -- did not like Islam. That is what triggered the intuition that there had to be something really good about Islam. Otherwise, these individuals, also known the despicables, would not be so up in arms against it.

Well, yeah, that is the Trump constituency, the deplorables. They are the ones who pushed me in the arms of Islam. I really had no other choice.

True. How could anybody right in his mind, share the vision of society that you can otherwise dig up in that deplorable Trump constituency?

Well, by the time that their deplorable girls decide that they could use an idiot to marry them, they are already used up completely. That is why they cannot find the idiot required for their plans. Seriously, non-Muslims do not marry them either. If marriage is now a totally discredited practice in the US, why would that be? Marriage would still make sense if their deplorable girls were at least moderately suitable for marriage, which they aren't.
are you a muslim? your religion is stated as other

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslim brother
10-15-2016, 05:04 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7362041.html

After a series of attacks and discrimination against him, his two brothers and his parents, father Zeeshan-ul-hassan Usmani said the family decided to go back to Pakistan, after a total of about eight years in the US.
Mr Usmani, a twice-Fulbright scholar who works in counter terrorism, told The Independent that Abdul wants to go back to the US when he “feels strong enough”.
His other two sons, aged 8 and 14, had also been called "terrorists" and were bullied.

kritikvernunft
10-15-2016, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
are you a muslim? your religion is stated as other
I have applied for an accredited certificate of Islamitude, but my application file got stuck in between two departments, with the first department refusing to send things forth, and the second department refusing to send things back. I am now using bureaucratic superpowers to get things moving again. When all notarized documents required, will finally have materialized, you will be the first one to know! ;-)

Scimitar
10-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Didn't realise I was entered into a popularity contest when I discovered I was a Muslim :D

Guys and Gals - let us not forget that hell is gonna be filled with more people than heaven is, so... are you really surprised? :D

Perspective, changes everything.

Scimi

Serinity
10-15-2016, 06:49 PM
:salam:

Who really cares... What matters is the results in the Akhira.

Right?

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Born_Believer
10-20-2016, 04:48 PM
I have applied for an accredited certificate of Islamitude, but my application file got stuck in between two departments, with the first department refusing to send things forth, and the second department refusing to send things back. I am now using bureaucratic superpowers to get things moving again. When all notarized documents required, will finally have materialized, you will be the first one to know! ;-)
I bet you thought that was witty but your inability to answer a simple question just makes me take you less seriously

kritikvernunft
10-20-2016, 05:18 PM
I bet you thought that was witty but your inability to answer a simple question just makes me take you less seriously
Look, you can declare to be a Muslim or alternatively to be a non-Muslim. You can, however, never produce proof of either. With a belief being essentially a mental state, it would amount to producing proof of mental state. How can a thing like that possibly be achieved? Thinking of it, this is a very useful characteristic of Islam and religion in general. Nobody can prove or disprove that he is a member. I actually like it that way. It means that I can simply declare what I want to declare.

In that sense, I hereby make the non-binding declaration that I believe in Islam. This means that in principle I agree to obey to the laws of the singular God, our Beloved Master.

I refuse, however, to produce proof of Islamitude, or alternatively, proof of any possible lack thereof. Furthermore, since the possibility is clearly mentioned in Divine legislation on the matter, i.e. surah 3:28, I reserve the right to adapt my declaration to any tactical considerations that may suit my purposes in the given circumstances. We smile in the face of some people although our hearts curse them.

Karl
10-21-2016, 11:26 PM
Yeah most of the USA is Zionist so of course they're going to hate Muslims.

Born_Believer
10-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Look, you can declare to be a Muslim or alternatively to be a non-Muslim. You can, however, never produce proof of either. With a belief being essentially a mental state, it would amount to producing proof of mental state. How can a thing like that possibly be achieved? Thinking of it, this is a very useful characteristic of Islam and religion in general. Nobody can prove or disprove that he is a member. I actually like it that way. It means that I can simply declare what I want to declare.

In that sense, I hereby make the non-binding declaration that I believe in Islam. This means that in principle I agree to obey to the laws of the singular God, our Beloved Master.

I refuse, however, to produce proof of Islamitude, or alternatively, proof of any possible lack thereof. Furthermore, since the possibility is clearly mentioned in Divine legislation on the matter, i.e. surah 3:28, I reserve the right to adapt my declaration to any tactical considerations that may suit my purposes in the given circumstances. We smile in the face of some people although our hearts curse them.
I never asked you to produce proof, I simply asked if you were Muslim, which you stated in another thread that you were but your profile states religion as other.

It's a simple question that requires a simple, one word answer, not 3 paragraphs of rambling but I get the gist of what you're saying.

Snel
10-31-2016, 09:08 PM
I never asked you to produce proof, I simply asked if you were Muslim, which you stated in another thread that you were but your profile states religion as other.

It's a simple question that requires a simple, one word answer, not 3 paragraphs of rambling but I get the gist of what you're saying.
Why does it concern you so much?

Born_Believer
11-02-2016, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snel
Why does it concern you so much?
Because it's not illegal to ask questions, right?

But I'll explain it to you anyway, even though it doesn't concern you.

I was simply curious, as he stated he was a convert to Islam in one thread but his profile states his religion as other. So I asked as I am well within my rights to do so and he avoided answering the question. That's all that happened Sherlock.

kritikvernunft
11-02-2016, 10:45 AM
I was simply curious, as he stated he was a convert to Islam in one thread but his profile states his religion as other.
In fact, I did not find the profile page in which to update my religion, and I could not be bothered to search for it anyway, because it actually suits me fine that it is listed like that. What is the meaning of "other" anyway? It does not say other than Islam. So, in that sense, other is fine, because it does not mention other than what exactly.

It is the same as in the real world. If you ask anybody what my religion is, they will say "don't know", simply because it is not necessarily visible from a man's wardrobe, but it certainly is from a woman's wardrobe. She pretty much must advertize her religion. A man doesn't need to.

In fact, since I was born into Catholic religion, some people believe that I still am, if only because I have been trained for years in a row, to read and write Church Latin. I went to a Catholic school never considered joining the clergy, because they cannot marry, which sounds like an almost impossible feat to me ... How can a man stay away from women? I already knew in my teenage years that this would not happen. So, I did not enroll in the Catholic seminar at all, for clergy training. Since I know the Catholic rituals and liturgy much better than the Islamic one, some people would actually declare me Catholic, but on the other hand, I am very critical about it too. So, depending on what I reveal about what I believe about Christian faith, they may also start calling me the anti-Christ. That is why I usually do not reveal this. Sometimes I do, but then it is that bad that even Muslims start disavowing me, because I should not have said that kind of things. The type and amount of criticism allowed by Islam on Christianity, is a heavily regulated subject. Better don't do it, unless you know exactly what you are facing ...

So, there you have it. My only real criticism on Islam is that it does not allow me to freely criticize Christianity, which is otherwise an utterly trivial thing to do. The Quran props up Christianity, you wouldn't imagine how much. I somehow suspect that Christianity would no longer exist without the Quran! ;-)

Al Sultan
11-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Christianity would no longer exist without the Quran

I am confused when I read that...you mean that the Quran makes Christianity "alive" ?...

My only real criticism on Islam is that it does not allow me to freely criticize Christianity

So you want to criticize Christianity?....

kritikvernunft
11-02-2016, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Sultan
I am confused when I read that...you mean that the Quran makes Christianity "alive" ?...
There are numerous verses in the Quran protecting Christianity. Even the main doctrine openly does: Jesus is a prophet of Allah. This means that you can, for example, not claim that he was not even that. The Quran is replete with these verses. Therefore, any serious criticism on Christianity will be rejected by Muslims, because these criticisms would be about the persons of Jesus and Mary. Muslims would not accept that, because such claims would be contrary to the Quran.
So you want to criticize Christianity?....
The political cost for fundamental criticism is too high. So, no, I am not interested in that. Choose your battles. Beyond being theologically sound, Islam has important political advantages. Therefore, I will sacrifice my intuitive desire to criticize Jesus and Mary, in order to keep things useful.

I can only point out what has happened, and why it was so predictable that it would happen. The Quran also clearly indicates that these things were inevitable. Besides that, Islam does not leave much leeway for criticizing Christianity. The Quran only allows that within tight demarcations.

Al Sultan
11-02-2016, 08:52 PM
any serious criticism on Christianity will be rejected by Muslims

answering-Christianity.com well if you read some of the articles,this website has some hate on Christians...but I don't think that's really okay..what do you think? (have you even heard of this website?)

True,it does infact protect Christianity on many occasions,for example,"And the Christians and Jews,Sabians,Those who believe in Allah and do righteous,they shall have no fear" ~ The Holy Quran [2:62]

Karl
11-02-2016, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED PATEL
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7362041.html

After a series of attacks and discrimination against him, his two brothers and his parents, father Zeeshan-ul-hassan Usmani said the family decided to go back to Pakistan, after a total of about eight years in the US.
Mr Usmani, a twice-Fulbright scholar who works in counter terrorism, told The Independent that Abdul wants to go back to the US when he “feels strong enough”.
His other two sons, aged 8 and 14, had also been called "terrorists" and were bullied.
I reckon this is a case of Paki phobia. Most people are so cowed by the Zionists in the USA that they are afraid of being openly racist, so they attack Islam instead because most Muslims are black.

kritikvernunft
11-02-2016, 09:51 PM
answering-Christianity.com well if you read some of the articles,this website has some hate on Christians...but I don't think that's really okay..what do you think? (have you even heard of this website?)
Never heard of this website. It elaborates on particular allowable criticisms, but those are automatically weak:
Trinity: Well, some parts of Christianity are unitarian. So, it is not even a mandatory belief in Christianity.
Crucifiction and resurrection: Well, the attack is weak, because according to the Quran, Jesus was allowed to perform miracles. A real attack would directly question all his miracles, but that is not allowed by the Quran.
True,it does infact protect Christianity on many occasions,for example,"And the Christians and Jews,Sabians,Those who believe in Allah and do righteous,they shall have no fear" ~ The Holy Quran [2:62]
There cannot be any fundamental criticism from Islam on Christianity, because Jesus and Mary are protected figures in Islam. The Quran does not allow for questioning Jesus' miracles. The Quran does not allow attacking the virgin birth. If the Quran did allow it, any attack on the Christology of Jesus would become trivial. In fact, by protecting Jesus and Mary, the Quran gives them a metaphysical nature, which in turn, almost confirms the Christian view on them.

Christianity is a religion that can only be attacked successfully from within, given the fact that its main competitors, such as Islam, fundamentally refuse to do so.

Christian apologetics can survive a debate with Muslim apologetics, because the hands of the Muslims are firmly tied. They cannot survive the ridicule heaped on them by atheists, because the atheists will simply declare the core of Christian theology to be impossibly gullible and even nonsensical.

For example, in John 10:38, Jesus says: Even if you do not believe in me, then at least believe in my miracles.
The obvious answer to that is: I do not believe in those either.
Unfortunately, this answer is not allowed by the Quran.

This is what allows Jesus to continue in John 10:38: Know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father. Of course, Muslims will understandably reject this phrase. But ok, since the Quran disarms all criticism of Jesus, what is there to say about this phrase? That it is a lie? That he did not say that? Not sure about that ...

The banana is in me, and I am in the banana. Well, yeah, what the hell ...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.