/* */

PDA

View Full Version : TRAVEL THREAD: UNITED KINGDOM

*charisma*
10-19-2016, 08:25 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Post anything about the UK here that would interest muslim visitors. This can include your favorite halal food joints, parks, activities to do, warnings, places to avoid, must-see's, top educational institutions, hospitals, halal business etc. Pictures are a plus :D

I'll update this post with information as it comes in for easier navigation. You can start out with your local cities and let us know how they are!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
10-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Being a West-Midlands girl, I'm going to give Birmingham a big thumbs up for *any* one who finds themselves near enough while in the UK. I'm not from there, but my tiny town is hardly interesting lol, and I frequently visit Birmingham which is just half-an hour drive from where I live.

It has an amazing amount of multiculturalism - in certain areas you will see Muslims from countless ethnicities, from Somalis to Arabs to Pakistanis to Afghans, and there are countless restaurants and eating places to match.

I'll go into more detail later on, as it's quite late. However, there are several roads which are just filled to the brim with Islamic-oriented stores, from books to clothing to perfumes to house decorations, even miswaks. The roads are Coventry Road, Alum Rock Road, Ladypool Road and Stratford Road - highly recommend visiting them.

*charisma*
10-19-2016, 10:33 PM
I will be looking forward to this thread as I'm hoping to visit UK one day inshallah :D

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 03:29 AM
Dont come to the UK, it's shite. stay where you are... my parents made a massive mistake coming to this cold and dull land mass full of barbaric customs and alcohol abusers :D

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
10-20-2016, 05:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Dont come to the UK, it's shite. stay where you are... my parents made a massive mistake coming to this cold and dull land mass full of barbaric customs and alcohol abusers :D

Scimi
Come on Scimi, try to be positive :D It's just a helpful thread for those who do find themselves there, whether travel, doing a semester there, or for work. It's good to have a directory and to support each other. I think the beautiful thing about having an Ummah is knowing that we are all over the world. For me for example, it feels good to see a fellow hijabi in a place where there aren't many, or a brother praying salaah amongst strangers...it warms my heart lol.

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Come on Scimi, try to be positive :D It's just a helpful thread for those who do find themselves there, whether travel, doing a semester there, or for work. It's good to have a directory and to support each other. I think the beautiful thing about having an Ummah is knowing that we are all over the world. For me for example, it feels good to see a fellow hijabi in a place where there aren't many, or a brother praying salaah amongst strangers...it warms my heart lol.
They'll go back skint, and with a flu and some other bugs...not to mention "what the eyes see, they cannot unsee".

I like my town, coz I know the people, but england is shite.

Scimi

*charisma*
10-20-2016, 05:15 AM
They'll go back skint, and with a flu and some other bugs...not to mention "what the eyes see, they cannot unsee".

I like my town, coz I know the people, but england is shite.

Scimi
;D ;D ;D is it that bad? Are you scarred for life? :D What town are you in?

I'll just say Heathrow airport is the worst I've ever been to...I'd stay away just for that lol. BUT then again, I love eating so I hear you guys have great food festivals, curries, and farmer markets.

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 05:20 AM
Wait... heathrow is the best part about England... the departure lounge anyway :D

My town? created on the dope sound, another shake n kick - holes in the ground :D

*charisma*
10-20-2016, 05:25 AM
Wait... heathrow is the best part about England... the departure lounge anyway :D

My town? created on the dope sound, another shake n kick - holes in the ground :D
Heathrow scares me. I was so happy to see so many ethnic people working there..but they're all bad eggs lol, so tough. I saw this pretty little desi chick in airport uniform tell a white man off real bad for not doing what she asked ;D it was so unexpected. Then you have the shady workers who were acting friendly but asking those questions that hit the gut. The accents are cool though.

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 05:29 AM
Heathrow scares me. I was so happy to see so many ethnic people working there..but they're all bad eggs lol, so tough. I saw this pretty little desi chick in airport uniform tell a white man off real bad for not doing what she asked ;D it was so unexpected. Then you have the shady workers who were acting friendly but asking those questions that hit the gut. The accents are cool though.
If you can't handle Heathrow, God bless you when you hit rush hour.

I have no idea why people would find a concrete jungle, attractive.

Scimi

*charisma*
10-20-2016, 05:34 AM
If you can't handle Heathrow, God bless you when you hit rush hour.

I have no idea why people would find a concrete jungle, attractive.

Scimi
It's actually very low on my list, but one day I hope to visit only to say that I've visited :D Next on my list is Zanzibar or Sri lanka, may allah allow me (and all muslims) to live with good health to see the world ameen. I'll be making more travel threads as I figure out where members here are living or where they've visited inshallah.

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 05:37 AM
It's actually very low on my list,
I have no idea why its even on your list. What attracts you to this nation which holds so much animosity against Islam and Muslims?

but one day I hope to visit only to say that I've visited :D
Oh what? Just so you can tick it off your list? Stupid lol

Next on my list is Zanzibar or Sri lanka, may allah allow me (and all muslims) to live with good health to see the world ameen. I'll be making more travel threads as I figure out where members here are living or where they've visited inshallah.
Sri Lanka is shite too, full of racist and zenophobic hindus. Fare well :D

Scimi

*charisma*
10-20-2016, 05:42 AM
I have no idea why its even on your list. What attracts you to this nation which holds so much animosity against Islam and Muslims?

Scimi
Yes just so I can tick it off my list. Allah's lands are vast and beautiful and I want to visit as much as I can. Even though there are haters everywhere, there are Muslims everywhere too. And as for Sri Lanka, it's freakin beautiful, don't you dare lol.

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 05:44 AM
it's absolutely full of retards atm,

but sure, get flurry :D

just don't forget your joppers when you leave :D

Scimi

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 05:46 AM
waiiit, do you wanna go and see that giant foot carving?

Supposedly Adams footprint ? :D

When it is well known that the Indians of ancient pasts had carved entire cities out of stone? what would a foot take to carve? :D 40 hindus in dhotis?

Scimi

*charisma*
10-20-2016, 05:53 AM
I didn't even hear about the foot, that's weird.

I wanna go for this:

oh and the elephants. :D

noraina
10-20-2016, 07:58 AM

Scimi
Tsk tsk. Is that all you have to say for the land which you gave you your ironic sense of humour?

It ain't that bad, look past the rain and fog and the people and there's something just very nostalgically charming about England.

Oh, and if you happen to come to the West Midlands, definitely go to the Jeffcock Chippy. It's like famous around here and I haven't ever eaten fish and chips so good.

So, one +1 point for the UK: fish and chips. :D

noraina
10-20-2016, 08:07 AM
And I think it's a natural feeling. To want to visit countries you haven't been to before. I like England, although sometimes I can't quite understand why people want to choose it as a holiday destination - but that's probably because I'm used to it.

And if you really want to see that 'nostalgic charm' of the UK - forget the cities and explore the countryside. Much more rewarding.

*charisma*
10-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Perfectly said @noraina . I've learned to change my perspective in the places I've lived, and look at them as if I had never been there before. It's crazy how much more beautiful this world becomes when you look at old places with a tourist's eyes.

noraina
10-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Perfectly said @noraina. I've learned to change my perspective in the places I've lived, and look at them as if I had never been there before. It's crazy how much more beautiful this world becomes when you look at old places with a tourist's eyes.
We so take for granted the beauty all around us.

A couple of months ago I took my camera to take a few pictures of the local area's natural sights. And down my street there are dozens of pink blossom trees outside some old Victorian-style white houses. It just struck me at how astonishingly beautiful it was even though I have been living in this area my whole life and have passed that area countless times. I just never noticed it.

And I'm the sort that if someone goes sightseeing with me, I don't may much attention to famous landmarks and shops you can find on any old map :D, I take them to those unknown, unnamed places only someone who knows the area like the back of their hand would know of. Like the quirky bookstores or art shops and the bluebell fields or the dove nests. The places you don't find on maps are much more interesting to me.

Zeal
10-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Fish and chips really is something else :D

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Tsk tsk. Is that all you have to say for the land which you gave you your ironic sense of humour?
Tuscany???? :D

Scimi

noraina
10-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Tuscany???? :D

Scimi
Parli italiano?

Scimitar
10-20-2016, 02:47 PM
come un capo :D

muslim brother
11-16-2016, 04:43 PM

i have to go here at least once a year:shade:

Aaqib
11-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Scimi
Are you kidding? Sri Lanka loves foreigners, it's a great place to be in.

LaSorcia
11-18-2016, 01:29 PM
If you get to the UK, you must go here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tintagel+&...ax=1&ia=images
It's absolutely breathtaking. It's really windy though, even worse than Salisbury Plain... or maybe I was just unlucky lol.

sister herb
11-24-2016, 03:45 PM
If I ever travel to UK, I wish to see British gardens. I have a dream to make my own garden as the British style (well, maybe my image about them comes from the movies of miss Marple :embarrass but anyways, they look charming). Any links of public gardens?

The other thing is that I wish to visit some yarn shops. I never can have too much yarn for socks and sweeters.

anatolian
11-24-2016, 04:37 PM
I must visit London one day. However, I would encourage you guys to visit Istanbul. That will give you a different experience from an Islamic POV I am sure..

muslim brother
11-24-2016, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
If I ever travel to UK, I wish to see British gardens. I have a dream to make my own garden as the British style (well, maybe my image about them comes from the movies of miss Marple :embarrass but anyways, they look charming). Any links of public gardens?

The other thing is that I wish to visit some yarn shops. I never can have too much yarn for socks and sweeters.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=gardens

LaSorcia
11-25-2016, 11:43 PM

Apparently, Kew Gardens in London is the place to go. I never got the chance to go there. But I did get to the Oxford Botanical gardens, and they were pretty awesome.

Aisha
11-26-2016, 03:07 AM

Birmingham Botanical Gardens are lovely. :) There are little walled gardens within gardens, exotic plants and woodland trails.

Samiun
11-29-2016, 03:59 PM
:sl:

If you're into burgers, go to Tinsletown
If you're at Ox. Street there's a halal store selling burger pizza and etc and man does the burger taste goood(chicken)
If you're going to piccadily circus check out Stax Burger

There's a musholla/surau at oxford street but you would need to walk a little its called Muslim World League. Good place to rest and pray and alhamdulillah the store below is own by a Muslim so halal pizzas :D The Surau is like the only place bar Qatar Embassy that has a toilet that actually provide a bucket of water. Man a bucket of water in a toilet is such a blessing in the West.

If anyone interested in racing, there's go-karts at tower bridge (indoors) and there's buckmore park which is a lot further away. There's usually a golden painted Ferrari parked at the Harrod's back alley so be sure to be there. There's also Good Wood Festival Of Speed in July though I would really not recommend it if it's during Ramadhan because they cook food outside and you can smell food all over the place.

Real Photos of the locations:

Pizza:

Festival of Speed:

sister herb
11-29-2016, 06:12 PM
My all respect for pizzas and burgers but if I would travel to UK, I like to try some traditional foods. I can get pizza and burger from every corners of the world but could you recommend some UK- origin (of course halal version) foods which I couldn´t find from anywhere else?

Samiun
11-30-2016, 03:35 AM
My all respect for pizzas and burgers but if I would travel to UK, I like to try some traditional foods. I can get pizza and burger from every corners of the world but could you recommend some UK- origin (of course halal version) foods which I couldn´t find from anywhere else?
I thought pizzas and burgers were traditional food? :X. Honestly the ones I know are Fish and Chips and the most delicious I've ever tasted was in Scotland. Sadly not in London, I come from South East Asia so burgers and pizzas here are usually served by corporations such as McDonalds (which went to produce a documentary specifically mentioning why it's a halal brand) and Pizza Hut so I don't think either of those truly represented what they are suppose to taste like and processed food are well unhealthy. When I was living there there's a Turkish guy selling Doners right in front of our apartment called Bosphorus Kebab(South Kensington) so I usually would eat there if not there's always Shawarmas at arab street or close to Harrod's(not inside, I'm not sure if they serve halal food?). And then there's the ocassional food where by I would our own food(Malaysian) in UK at Pak Awie's.

Aisha
11-30-2016, 04:10 AM
My advice is to avoid London.
It's overpriced, overcrowded, overly annoying and over-hyped.

The smaller towns are lovely if you really want a feel for the place.

Fish and chips is more or less our national dish. Fish and chips by the seaside can't be beat. [emoji7]
There are also tea shops and cafes where you'd enjoy a cream tea. (Fresh baked scones, clotted cream, jam, tea..) or afternoon tea. Google it, you won't be disappointed.
@Samiun bro McDonald's isn't halal despite their documentary. If you're looking for halal places near you, we can direct you to some inshaAllah. Or just go veggie. :D

noraina
11-30-2016, 11:38 AM
I live in a small town myself and I much prefer it to the larger cities like London or Manchester - they are expensive and crowed, although they are worth visiting for the feel of the multi-cultural British metropolises.

But the smaller towns are just so quaint and traditional, like that old nostalgic England seen in the dramas and films. As sis Aisha you just cannot get more British than fish and chips (it is the epitome of 'Britishness'), alongside Yorkshire puddings, the 'big English 'breakfasts', and any type of potato (jacket potato, mash, boiled or roasted :D).

And you just can't get more traditional than tea and scones with clotted cream and jam.

Re.TiReD
11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
London *is* over-crowded, busy and over-hyped, especially if you're originally a northern girl like me but that being said, there's still a lot of beauty here. Tower bridge at night is beautiful, Kew Gardens was amazing, Greenwich park in the summer was nice and the perfect amount of peaceful...The same goes for Victoria park and Thames barrier park, I really could go on. Lots of places to eat, PFC shops are just ������ but lots of tasty Halal places whether you enjoy Italian, Chinese, Turkish, Indian or Pakistani flavours. There is just so much to do. Plonk yourself in any city here and you most likely find some good ways to stay entertained. I've got to say though, I didn't like Birmingham :hiding:

anatolian
11-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Do Brits have any real food? ;D

Samiun
12-05-2016, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
My advice is to avoid London.
It's overpriced, overcrowded, overly annoying and over-hyped.

The smaller towns are lovely if you really want a feel for the place.

Fish and chips is more or less our national dish. Fish and chips by the seaside can't be beat. [emoji7]
There are also tea shops and cafes where you'd enjoy a cream tea. (Fresh baked scones, clotted cream, jam, tea..) or afternoon tea. Google it, you won't be disappointed.
@Samiun bro McDonald's isn't halal despite their documentary. If you're looking for halal places near you, we can direct you to some inshaAllah. Or just go veggie. :D
Ah I was mentioning about McDonalds in Malaysia sister. Ah yes who can forget tea shops and cafes! My mum love to buy velvet cakes and sometimes vanilla cup cakes for us to enjoy or give it to birds up glastonbury.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.