/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Photography

hbutler
10-22-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm very curious about this subject because photography is one of my passions, but I have heard differing views.

What are your thoughts on photography?

Is it allowed in Islam?
Is posting a photo of animals or yourself on social media allowed?
Is it permissible for you print out photos and have them around your house? If not, can you keep them in a photo album?

Please support your answer with Hadith or another form of support if possible!

I did not see another thread addressing these questions, if there is one please feel free to link it to me and delete this one. :-)

JazakAllah khair!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anatolian
10-22-2016, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hbutler
Please support your answer with Hadith or another form of support if possible!
!
Salam sister. I dont have an answer but have two questions :)

Why do you think it could be a problem at first?

And why do you ask for a Hadith or another form of support but not Quran? If some one brings a support from Quran is it not countable for you?

Thanks

Delete.
10-22-2016, 10:01 PM
A'salamu alaykum.

1. No, it is not allowed in Islam. Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet salaAllahu alayhi wa salam entered upon me while there was a curtain having pictures (of animals) in the house. His face got red with anger, and then he got hold of the curtain and tore it into pieces. He said, "Such people as paint these pictures will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection." He also said, "Whoever makes a picture in this world will be asked to put life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do so." (Sahih Bukhari)

2. Pictures of animate beings (animals and humans) are not permissible. And posting a picture of yourself on social media would also fall under displaying your beauty to strangers.

3. No, it is not permissible to keep pictures in your home. Nabi salaAllahu alayhi wa salam said, "Angels do not enter a house that has either a dog or a picture in it." (Bukhari)

Allah says: "Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn." (Bukhari)

Ali radhiAllahu anhu said, "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allah (salaAllahu alayhi wa salam) sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without leveling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Muslim and al-Nisaa'i)

The Prophet salaAllahu alayhi wa salam said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas radhiAllahu anhu said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Muslim)

I hope this is enough evidence for you. There are differing opinions on this matter and my advice to you, sister, is that it is unwise to argue with clear proof. And Allah knows best.

hbutler
10-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Thank you very much for your reply ____ ! I really appreciate it.

Anatolian, of course Quran is more than countable. I should have rephrased the way I asked for support :-) I meant Quran, Hadith, etc...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anatolian
10-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Anatolian, of course Quran is more than countable. I should have rephrased the way I asked for support :-) I meant Quran, Hadith, etc...
Thanks for clarifying. My personal opinion for the subject is taking and printing photos of people or animals or anything is not a problem as long as they are modest and you are not going to worship or pray to these images.

Delete.
10-23-2016, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Thanks for clarifying. My personal opinion for the subject is taking and printing photos of people or animals or anything is not a problem as long as they are modest and you are not going to worship or pray to these images.
The Sahaba radhiAllahu anhum were not worshiping or praying to images either yet they were still commanded to not keep them.

hbutler
10-23-2016, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ___
The Sahaba radhiAllahu anhum were not worshiping or praying to images either yet they were still commanded to not keep them.
^ that's good to know! I did not know that before.

I was thinking that because it is a literal picture we are taking, and not recreating the creation (like painting back in the day) it was ok. You've certainly opened my eyes though!

Delete.
10-23-2016, 12:10 PM
^ that's good to know! I did not know that before.

I was thinking that because it is a literal picture we are taking, and not recreating the creation (like painting back in the day) it was ok. You've certainly opened my eyes though!
We are creating a picture by taking the picture, the fact that we are using our cameras, pointing them to the creation, and clicking the shutter.. It is how I see it. Allah knows best.

May Allah reward you, sister. If Photography is your passion how about taking pictures of inanimate objects? Nature is beautiful.

hbutler
10-23-2016, 12:49 PM
JazakAllah Khair ukhti! I mostly do photograph inanimate objects :-) SubhanAllah, sunsets and sunrises are my favorite.

Thank you again for the advice.

sister herb
10-23-2016, 02:28 PM
About photography, here have been several discussion about this subject. In this earlier thread, please read post 58:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...am#post1502493

hbutler
10-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Thank you sister herb! :-) that whole thread was very informational.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-23-2016, 07:26 PM
See this book:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20revised.pdf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.