/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Here!

Robrog8999
11-02-2016, 12:41 AM
Hello everyone!
New to this forum as well as to the Islamic Faith. I am interested in learning more about the religion and beliefs. I have the Quran through an app on my phone that I've begun to read and learn about. First time ever even opening the book. I'm totally new, its all very foreign to me. Many of the words are difficult to understand so I'm trying! But its defiantly going to take time.
I'm interested in getting to know other Muslims and learn more of this faith and the different viewpoints and principles. I was born and raised a Christian and basically just opening my mind and heart to everything. And then after, I feel like I can make a decision of my true faith. I want to hear and learn all sides.
And just as Christianity had many denominations and sects, I understand Islam does as well. The main two being Sunni and Shia. As well as other groups and ideologies. So that is my main concern at this point. General knowledge.
What are the main differences between Sunni & Shia? Etc
Thanks and nice to meet everyone ! Hope to connect and get to know you guys!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
eesa the kiwi
11-02-2016, 01:40 AM
Have a look at www.islamreligion.com as Alhamdulilah it's a good resource to learn a little bit about Islam

Other than that welcome, inshaAllah your stay here will be beneficial

drac16
11-02-2016, 04:21 AM
Welcome! :D

Thank you for being open minded about learning about Islam. One of the biggest differences between Sunnism and Shiism is who they pray to. Sunnis exclusively pray to Allah. On the other hand, Shi'a will often pray to their twelve imams. The Shi'a associate divine qualities to their imams, which is why I don't consider them to be true muslims.

Umm Abed
11-02-2016, 08:11 AM
:ibwelcome:Hope you enjoy the forum!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Robrog8999
11-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. And also thanks for that bit of info about the groups. Ill defiantly do my research and see what they're all about. Thanks for putting me in the bright direction.

Robrog8999
11-02-2016, 10:51 PM
I'm sorry.. What is imams

Robrog8999
11-02-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry.. I'm very new to this and just trying to gain an understanding of the religion. I know almost nothing.

Delete.
11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Robrog8999
I'm sorry.. I'm very new to this and just trying to gain an understanding of the religion. I know almost nothing.
Peace be upon the one who follows the True Guidance. Since you are new to Islam, I would highly advise you not to look into the Shi'a, or any other sects or groups. There are fundamental beliefs that all Muslims believe, and this is what you should become aware about. If you try to learn about Islam through learning about all these groups, you will be confused and led away from the Truth. May Allah guide you to the Straight Path. I encourage you to learn the fundamentals and basics of Islam first and foremost and avoid falling into the confusion of deviances. Allah knows best.

islamirama
11-03-2016, 12:44 AM
I'm sorry.. What is imams
Imams are clerics or the equivalent to a priest.

I would suggest starting there : http://www.newmuslims.com/

greenhill
11-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Honestly, I would start with the stories of the 25 prophets of Islam. From Adam pbuh, through to Jesus and Muhammad peace be upon them all.

Then you would have pretty much the foundation and structure of the faith that helps with the other stuff, especially on the articles of Faith.. .

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

mission2succeed
11-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Hello everyone!
New to this forum as well as to the Islamic Faith. I am interested in learning more about the religion and beliefs. I have the Quran through an app on my phone that I've begun to read and learn about. First time ever even opening the book. I'm totally new, its all very foreign to me. Many of the words are difficult to understand so I'm trying! But its defiantly going to take time.
I'm interested in getting to know other Muslims and learn more of this faith and the different viewpoints and principles. I was born and raised a Christian and basically just opening my mind and heart to everything. And then after, I feel like I can make a decision of my true faith. I want to hear and learn all sides.
And just as Christianity had many denominations and sects, I understand Islam does as well. The main two being Sunni and Shia. As well as other groups and ideologies. So that is my main concern at this point. General knowledge.
What are the main differences between Sunni & Shia? Etc
Thanks and nice to meet everyone ! Hope to connect and get to know you guys!
Hi

Welcome I would suggest sticking to the Quran and its translation in English and the five pillars of faith.
I would suggest you keep away from sects and differences between sunni and shia just yet as it will confuse you and its not necessary or important to learn Islam.

Robrog8999
11-03-2016, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mission2succeed
Hi

Welcome I would suggest sticking to the Quran and its translation in English and the five pillars of faith.
I would suggest you keep away from sects and differences between sunni and shia just yet as it will confuse you and its not necessary or important to learn Islam.
Okay. As long as its not important then I won't worry about it for now. I just want to make sure I learn pure Islam from scripture itself. So I will defiantly be reading and learning the Quran. Thanks for The advice.

Delete.
11-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Okay. As long as its not important then I won't worry about it for now. I just want to make sure I learn pure Islam from scripture itself. So I will defiantly be reading and learning the Quran. Thanks for The advice.
I don't know if you have already mentioned this but, have you taken your Shahada (the testimony of Islam), or are you just learning about it as a non-Muslim for now?

mission2succeed
11-04-2016, 12:27 AM
No problem you are more than welcome.I also have some authentic book collection based on the five pillars geared towards new Muslims if you are interested send me a message and I am more than happy to share the information.

Robrog8999
11-04-2016, 02:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ___
I don't know if you have already mentioned this but, have you taken your Shahada (the testimony of Islam), or are you just learning about it as a non-Muslim for now?
Well.. Basically at the moment I'm just reading, learning and researching as I was born and raised Christian. The last 5 or 6 years or so, I've been seeking answers and to kind of build my spiritual side. So I begun with Christianity of course. Researching the different denominations and trying to find out which one best answers my questions. As they all teach different things. And the doctrine of the trinity never made sense to me and in a way, kind of always made me feel like I couldn't get to know who God truly is because I couldn't even wrap my mind around what the doctrine even was saying, let alone understand and comprehend it . so I started looking at churches who did not teach the trinity and found a couple. Reseached them and fast forward a few years, I've been learning about the LDS church (mormon) church and felt like I really found answers to many of my questions. I finally felt like I knew who God is.. And everything made sense.
So that's kind of where I am today. I feel like I found a church that truly feels real and have even begun to feel a lot closer to Jesus.
However, I never researched Islam and always skipped past it and I was thinking one day, how can I know what is true or who's even right if I don't even look into other religions. So from that moment on I felt obligated to learn about all the religions and make sure I give them all a shot. Read their scriptures and history.. Pray to God etc. Because if I dont, ill never be able to really feel as though I searched God out. And I must do so by looking at all the teachings.
And here I am....
I am curious about Islam and learning more about its teachings, history and scripture. To read and pray about it and then kind of go from there.
So right now I've been reading a lot about its history, prophet and read bits of the Quran. And I intend to continue this journey and pray about the Prophet Muhammad and search it out.
But yes, I am familiar with Shahada. And briefly looked over it.

Delete.
11-04-2016, 02:28 AM
Well.. Basically at the moment I'm just reading, learning and researching as I was born and raised Christian. The last 5 or 6 years or so, I've been seeking answers and to kind of build my spiritual side. So I begun with Christianity of course. Researching the different denominations and trying to find out which one best answers my questions. As they all teach different things. And the doctrine of the trinity never made sense to me and in a way, kind of always made me feel like I couldn't get to know who God truly is because I couldn't even wrap my mind around what the doctrine even was saying, let alone understand and comprehend it . so I started looking at churches who did not teach the trinity and found a couple. Reseached them and fast forward a few years, I've been learning about the LDS church (mormon) church and felt like I really found answers to many of my questions. I finally felt like I knew who God is.. And everything made sense.
So that's kind of where I am today. I feel like I found a church that truly feels real and have even begun to feel a lot closer to Jesus.
However, I never researched Islam and always skipped past it and I was thinking one day, how can I know what is true or who's even right if I don't even look into other religions. So from that moment on I felt obligated to learn about all the religions and make sure I give them all a shot. Read their scriptures and history.. Pray to God etc. Because if I dont, ill never be able to really feel as though I searched God out. And I must do so by looking at all the teachings.
And here I am....
I am curious about Islam and learning more about its teachings, history and scripture. To read and pray about it and then kind of go from there.
So right now I've been reading a lot about its history, prophet and read bits of the Quran. And I intend to continue this journey and pray about the Prophet Muhammad and search it out.
But yes, I am familiar with Shahada. And briefly looked over it.
Thank you for sharing this with us, it will really help all of us here inform you better.

As Muslims, we believe that Jesus was one of the mightiest messengers of Allah (God). His teachings are mentioned in the Qur'an. We believe that all of the Holy Books (Torah, Gospel, Psalms, and the Scriptures of Moses and Abraham) were all Revelations from Allah, with the Qur'an being the Final Revelation and Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, being the Final Messenger. We believe in all of the Prophets (Moses, Abraham, Noah, Jesus, and many others) peace be upon them. In Islam, we only have one Divine Book and that is the Qur'an. Apart from that, we also have what we call 'Ahadeeth', these are the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad, preserved by his companions and future pious generations. We have scholars of Ahadeeth who determine if the line of transmission of these Ahadeeth make them authentic or not, so that is how they have been preserved. And in them, we find many teachings (and some other revelations that are not in the Qur'an) revealed to the Prophet Muhammad and passed down to the Ummah (the nation of Muslims). As Muslims, we follow both the Qur'an and the Authentic Ahadeeth of the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

We have a very important concept in Islam, called 'Tawheed', this is basically the 'Oneness of God'. Islamic Monotheism. Allah has no sons or daughters, no partners, He cannot be made into creation (idols, etc.), He is the One and Only Creater.

And we have the 5 pillars of Islam:
1. The Shahada (to be a Muslim you must sincerely believe that there is no god except Allah (One God) and that Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, is His Final Messenger)
2. Salah (the prayer) - Muslims pray 5 times a day at specified times and this is obligatory.
3. Zakat (obligatory charity) - If you have a source of income (and there are exceptions and rules to this) you are obliged to give 2.5% of it to charity annually (and the charity is of your choice, you could feed the poor, or give it to orphans, etc)
4. Fasting the month of Ramadan
5. Hajj - Performing the pilgrimage to Makkah, Saudi Arabia

So, these are the basics, and I hope this information can get you started on your journey to gain knowledge about Islam. I know you said you have many questions and that is what started your journey, don't hesitate to ask, big or small.

Robrog8999
11-04-2016, 04:47 AM
Yes, Thanks so much!! That helps a lot. I have saved that message and copied and pasted it into my notebook so that I can use and study that. I appreciate it.

Delete.
11-04-2016, 05:09 AM
Yes, Thanks so much!! That helps a lot. I have saved that message and copied and pasted it into my notebook so that I can use and study that. I appreciate it.
It is no problem. Here is a free course for new Muslims or non-Muslims who want to learn about Islam from the very beginning, that may help you too. And also this website that @eesa the kiwi posted is great.

And of course, all of us on this Forum are here to answer your questions as well.

noraina
11-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Welcome to this forum,

I hope your search for knowledge is fruitful and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask, we'd love to answer them inshaAllah.

qissh
11-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Welcome!!!

charmanthala
11-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Wa alaikum assalam :) welcome to the board! InshaAllah it benefits you

Zafran
11-07-2016, 03:45 AM
welcome to the forum

Al Sultan
11-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Feel home brother ;)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!