/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Olive with white mold Ok to eat???

Zeal
11-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Assalamu 'alaykum I hope you're all in the best of faith

So today I just bought a jar of pimento stuffed olives and I noticed that a lot of these had white mold like spots on em even though the best before date was waaaaaaaay in 2019,, and tbh it makes me feel a little sick but it'd be all ok if I knew there was nothing wrong with em

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
11-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

They're safe to eat, and it's normal :)

Here's also some confirmation from an olive site lol:

Q: Sometimes I think I see little white dots on the big, green olives. Should I worry about this?
A: Not at all. The "dots" you're seeing are actually naturally occurring yeast spores on the skin. In years with a great deal of rain, these yeast spores become more pronounced and appear as white spots. In drier years, the spots may be very light and difficult to see with the naked eye, but nevertheless present. They are a characteristic of the variety, a sign of authenticity. Source

Zeal
11-06-2016, 07:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

They're safe to eat, and it's normal :)

Here's also some confirmation from an olive site lol:
Wa alaykum salam

Thank you!

Supernova
11-06-2016, 08:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal
Assalamu 'alaykum I hope you're all in the best of faith

So today I just bought a jar of pimento stuffed olives and I noticed that a lot of these had white mold like spots on em even though the best before date was waaaaaaaay in 2019,, and tbh it makes me feel a little sick but it'd be all ok if I knew there was nothing wrong with em
Asalaamualaykum

Perfectly normal, sometimes you will even find this on orange skins which is ok too as long as the white does not penetrate right through the skin reaching the inside. Olives are safe as they have a high anti bacterial quality anyway,

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
11-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Like sometimes chocolate gets white blemishes on it...I used to think it was mould and throw it away until I was told it's perfectly naturally and happens from exposure to sunlight.

But yes I've eaten olives like that, alhamdulillah remained unscathed. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.