/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Converting to islam is it worth it?

theseeking
11-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Hello! im a 20 years old guy, who i a christian. BUT i do not go to church ever, never pray, actually i never do anything in relation to my religion. I grew up with a majority of muslim friends, so i know just as much about islam as christianity. Most of my friend do drink alcohol and do things that aint suppose to. My problem is that i have 2-3 been in " love " with a muslim girl, 2 without hijab and one with. But i did workout because of their religion, not because they were extremely faithful, but because of their families and such, and that really hurt me everytime. The first girl did meet at the age of 15, and last 20, after every girl i had the thought about converting, but i forgot about it again. But now i have been thinking about in weeks, my question you guys/girls is:

If i do convert i will likely just live life as i do when i were christian, can i do that as an muslim? it will probably chance when i marry an muslim.
How can i convert and how long time will it take.

greetings

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
11-08-2016, 01:54 PM
I am not sure what the others think, as I am quite new here. But in my opinion, if you are going to revert, you should do it out of yourself. You have to actually believe that there is one god (no problem for you), but also that Mohammed is his messenger (which Christians don't believe).

Also note that from our or at least mine perspective, you would probably do more harm than good as you state that you would continue your life as is. Praying 5 times a day is a must in Islam, if you don't do that, you are still a Muslim, but you would be sinning to the highest order.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
11-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Accept Islaam.

Even if you lived as a Muslim but drank alcohol and did whatever else, it's better than being a Christian or following any false religion. The only religion accepted by Allaah is Islaam. Those who wish to be entered into Jannah (Paradise) by Allaah must accept Islaam. Those who reject and instead follow Christianity or any other religion, are destined for Jahannam (hellfire), wal-`Iyaadhu Billaah.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
11-08-2016, 02:21 PM
No matter how sinful a Muslim it, as long as he has Imaan, he will eventually be forgiven by Allaah. A Kaafir does not have that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kiro
11-08-2016, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
No matter how sinful a Muslim it, as long as he has Imaan, he will eventually be forgiven by Allaah. A Kaafir does not have that.
Pray. Allah says it keeps you away from sin/evil deeds.

Am I right. Or am I just right Mr scholar.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
11-08-2016, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Pray. Allah says it keeps you away from sin/evil deeds.

Am I right.

That is correct. The Aayah you are referring to is the first Aayah of the 21st Juz/Para of the Qur'aan.

Khadijah.Colin
11-08-2016, 02:53 PM
My sincere advice is to make your intention pure. To acknowledge we have a Creator and He alone is worthy of worship. As a new muslim there will be many things to learn and taking each day slowly, along with making mistakes is all part of the process to better yourself. By accepting islam you always have that the mercy of Allah that you may enter paradise. Whereas dying as a non muslim is the greatest of loses.

aaj
11-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Greetings and welcome.

The more committed to Islam you will see the more strict he will be in following his religion. The less you see him "islamic" is because he was not raised properly and told about his religion and the importance of following it. So you will see many types of Muslims, the religiously committed and the ones born Muslim, in Muslim family with a Muslim name and that's about it.

When you convert to Islam, all your previous sins are forgiven and you are given a fresh start by God. What you do after that will be for you or against you on the day of Judgement. So I do hope you study Islam and try to understand it and not let the bad example of your friends be the measuring stick on what kind of a Muslim you want to be. You should at least read up on the basics and understand them so you when you do convert, you at least believe in what you are saying when you take the shahada. To convert you have to say the shahada or testimony of faith. It is the Muslim profession of faith (“there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah”). You can watch the video below on it.

The difference between a believer (Muslim) and a kuffar (non-believer) is that a believer will go paradise, regardless of how sinful he was. The kuffar will go to hell regardless of how good he was. The kuffar will get the reward for is good deeds in this world and will have no share in the Hereafter because he is committing the biggest sin of all, denying the Oneness of God. A believer who is the worst of sinners will go to paradise for that very reason that no matter how many sins he commits; he does not commit the most unforgivable sin of associating partners with God. But that does not mean he will go to paradise right away. Think of it like a jail sentence. Depending on the sins of the believer, he will spend that much time in hell serving his time and getting his punishment before he is taken out and taken to paradise. So you see it's better to be believer, even if you are a bad one, like your friends, rather then be a non-believer.

sister herb
11-08-2016, 03:48 PM
You should revert because you love Allah and want to save yourself from the eternal fire, not because you want to marry someone.

I don´t say that reverting isn´t a good idea but you have to do it for the right reasons. As Christian, do you now believe to the God or are you Christian because you have happened to born to the Christian family? Do you think you would believe to Him if you will revert?

theseeking
11-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the answers, first sorry for my bad english. My intentions for converting is NOT to marry someone, but to seek out the place i feel home, its hard to explain but i was born in a christian family and thats it, i dont have ANYONE in my family who believes in god. So the religion i always have learned about is islam, and i when i think religion i think about islam first, and thats the religion i have most " familiar " feelings about, and i have been thinking about this more times. And i do wanna do the right thing and not end up in hell. And the final stroke that have made up my mind is the following, and i dont lie. When i made this thread i was really " hyped " about converting then i did read some off the answers, and said to myself that i should forget about it, then 5 minutes after my dad called me and told me that my uncle got cancer. So i have taken that as a sign somehow, that i should convert. I will go talk to a friend with alot of knowledge about this tonight.

anatolian
11-08-2016, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by theseeking
Thanks for the answers, first sorry for my bad english. My intentions for converting is NOT to marry someone, but to seek out the place i feel home, its hard to explain but i was born in a christian family and thats it, i dont have ANYONE in my family who believes in god. So the religion i always have learned about is islam, and i when i think religion i think about islam first, and thats the religion i have most " familiar " feelings about, and i have been thinking about this more times. And i do wanna do the right thing and not end up in hell. And the final stroke that have made up my mind is the following, and i dont lie. When i made this thread i was really " hyped " about converting then i did read some off the answers, and said to myself that i should forget about it, then 5 minutes after my dad called me and told me that my uncle got cancer. So i have taken that as a sign somehow, that i should convert. I will go talk to a friend with alot of knowledge about this tonight.
Salam/Peace. May Allah make it easy for your uncle and you. Sometimes these kind of shoking realities of life make us understand that there is another reality behind what we are used to see. Even believing people live it. At least I do. That reality is The God/Allah. But as it is said by my sisters and brothers you must accept Him as soon as possible because there is also Shaitan/Satan who will always tempt you to disblieve.

Khadijah.Colin
11-08-2016, 04:22 PM
I am from a Christian background. Non of my family are muslim but reverting is the greatest blessing in my life. Allah will put you with the right people and remove people who are no good for you for He knows best. Look into more and learn the beautiful deen of Allah and ask him for guidance. His mercy will reach all of mankind whether they believe or disbelieve but to continue to disbelieve after His signs is your loss only. I wanted to become muslim sometime during college and it took me 9 years to revert. Now looking back I feel sad that I didn't become muslim sooner.

mr2299muslim
11-08-2016, 05:51 PM
I disagree with u TheSeeking ; U wont live your life like u did as a chistian if u convert to Islam, Islam is the most logical Religion in the world and when we go deep in its uderstanding we realize that Everything Fits! We understand and are able to link the questions that pricks are conscience all the time with answers that instill unbelievable satisfaction in one heart! Muslims Basically live for Aftelife and for them this world is a constant struggle to attain heaven and Allahs Mercy! And thats the most logical way to live given that virtually in the next 30 years many of wont be here,

sister herb
11-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Sorry if I misunderstood your the first post (as you wrote about felt in love to girls and marrying). Reverting to Islam is a life long journey and as mr2299muslim wrote, it surely isn´t similar journey like your life before or your life without Islam. I know it, I became Muslim over 20 years ago and I can honestly recommend shahada. It was the best decision ever to me. I have not regretted it for a second.

theseeking
11-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Does the witnesses have to be muslims or what if you do i private? And how many witnesses should there be.

Search
11-08-2016, 10:44 PM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

Does the witnesses have to be muslims or what if you do i private? And how many witnesses should there be.
Hi, brother!

There doesn't need to be witnesses per se because the primary witness is Allah (God) so you can even say the shahada (testimony of faith) in private. Usually, however, people say the shahada in front of witnesses at the mosque so that the Muslim community recognizes them as new Muslims and provides them with any help or resources or guidance they might need as a new Muslim.

When you just even in your heart say in the privacy of your home, taking God as witness, "ašhadu ʾanla ilāha illal-Lāh, wa ʾašhadu ʾanna muḥammadan rasūlul-Lāh," you become automatically a Muslim.

The transliterated words above mean, "I testify there is no god but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God." :)

Sincere Regards & Best Wishes,

talibilm
11-09-2016, 02:59 AM
Hello! im a 20 years old guy, who i a christian. BUT i do not go to church ever, never pray, actually i never do anything in relation to my religion. I grew up with a majority of muslim friends, so i know just as much about islam as christianity. Most of my friend do drink alcohol and do things that aint suppose to. My problem is that i have 2-3 been in " love " with a muslim girl, 2 without hijab and one with. But i did workout because of their religion, not because they were extremely faithful, but because of their families and such, and that really hurt me everytime. The first girl did meet at the age of 15, and last 20, after every girl i had the thought about converting, but i forgot about it again. But now i have been thinking about in weeks, my question you guys/girls is:

If i do convert i will likely just live life as i do when i were christian, can i do that as an muslim? it will probably chance when i marry an muslim.
How can i convert and how long time will it take.

greetings
Hi,

just keeping a muslim name will not make you a Muslim . So you have understand from the basic from your heart with sincerity by reading the Noble Quran first

is it worth ???

Its worth MORE than giving up all your wealth and family and friends Because this is for your ETERNITY, billions of years of after life without death whereas all other enjoyments happiness comforts are for this world and even here they are uncertain and temporary. Our most beloved mother can die, you girl friend (bad one ) may find a new boy friend , your friend can misunderstand and become an enemy , your health can be lost and so is your wealth but EXCEPT your Creator Allah who created everything that exists and sent Adam and all Prophets Moses, Jesus and the final Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to guide us to the right path, a path to succeed in both the worlds .

DO You know who is your Lord and read this

Noble Quran ''O mankind, what has deceived you concerning your Lord, the Generous ?, Who created you, fashioned you perfectly, and gave you due proportion; ''

Qudsi Hadith: the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said that Allah says:

Whoever returns to Me, I accept him no matter how far he is;
and whoever turns away from Me, I approach him and call on him.
Whoever leaves a sin for my sake, I reward him with many gifts
and whoever seeks to please Me, I seek to please him.
Whoever acknowledges My Will and Power in whatever he does, I make the iron bend for his sake.
My dear people are those who are with Me (i.e. whoever would like to be with Me, let him supplicate to Me and remember Me).
Whoever thanks Me, I grant him more blessings;
whoever obeys Me, I raise him and endear him more.
Whoever disobeys Me, I keep the doors of My Mercy open for him;

if he returns to Me, I bestow him with My Love since I love those who repent and purify themselves for My Sake.

If he does not repent, I still treat him by putting them in hardship to purify him.

Whoever favors Me over others, I favor them over others.
I reward every single good deed ten times over or seven hundred times over to countless times over.
I count every single bad deed as one unless the person repents and ask for My Forgiveness in which case I forgive even that one.
I take into account any little good deed and I forgive even major sins.
My Mercy supersedes My Anger;
My Tolerance supersedes My Blame;
My Forgiveness supersedes My Punishment as I am more merciful with My slaves than a mother with her child.

(Tabarani, Baihaqi)

So read the post # 112 below thread here why should we become a Muslim and why should we know our Creator. and ask doubts

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...our-Eman/page3

kritikvernunft
11-09-2016, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00001001
Also note that from our or at least mine perspective, you would probably do more harm than good as you state that you would continue your life as is. Praying 5 times a day is a must in Islam, if you don't do that, you are still a Muslim, but you would be sinning to the highest order.
The mainstream interpretation is that you can marry maximum 4 wives and that you must pray at least 5 times a day. It would not cause great inconsistency, however, if you'd rather understood that you must marry minimum 4 wives and that you should pray at most 5 times a day. It would certainly be an understandable alternative, and in fact, not always a mistake, if only because the extremities overlap, and that the result would the same in the extremities. Seriously, the terms minimum and maximum form a duality that results in a fluid concept of constraint management aimed at avoiding sinning.

Concerning the ones you should seek to marry, you'd better pick the ones in hijab. The other ones are just like Christian girls, i.e. more often than not, inappropriately dressed. ........ Hence, they are generally considered unsuitable for the purpose marriage. In order to convince a good girl's family, you may need a certificate of Islamitude from the nearest-by mosque. They will usually deliver such certificate upon you solemnly pronouncing the shahada in front of a sufficient number of witnesses, including the imam himself. While other men do not mind that they will have to use condoms for the rest of their lives, because they are, in fact, always sleeping with the wrong persons, you can avoid that outcome. Therefore, converting to Islam is certainly worth it, because joining Islam can give you access to a higher-quality pool of hijab-wearing marriage candidates.

theseeking
11-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Hello i have decided to convert to islam, i dont know if i ever will be a muslim who pray 5 times a day etc. BUT i feel this is the right thing, and this is a step in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for the help, and answers to me, it has been great to know, that one step is better than none.

فصيح الياسين
11-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Hello i have decided to convert to islam, i dont know if i ever will be a muslim who pray 5 times a day etc. BUT i feel this is the right thing, and this is a step in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for the help, and answers to me, it has been great to know, that one step is better than none.
Dear just accept the oneness of ur creator frm ur deep heart so no turn back....
Once his oneness u accept so for sure u will automatically do what ur creator ordered. ... hope this help....

drac16
11-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Congratulations, brother! Don't worry about how you'll be able to pray 5 times a day; Allah's grace is sufficient. When I converted, I felt the same way. I didn't think I'd be able to pray or fast. Now even though I am not perfect, Allah has helped me make progress. He'll do the same for you. :D

mission2succeed
11-10-2016, 11:03 PM

Congratulations on reverting to Islam as Muslims we believe everyone is born a Muslim it is the parents who change the child's religion.As far as pray is concerned it will come in time and naturally after all it is a means of communication between yourself and the creator and away of thanking him.

greenhill
11-11-2016, 01:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I would like to start by saying Allah judges everything based on our intention(s). So that is the basis of our deeds. (It should be to please Allah, then Allah would reward you, if it is for other reasons than for Allah… begs the question whether you will be rewarded for the deed).

So, the reason why you do things becomes of prime importance (and it is still is something very hard to be 100% aware at all times as we most of the time take things for granted and do things 'naturally' without even thinking).

So, becoming a muslim because of another reason poses the 'spiritual' question that you did not see the 'way of life' as being the way, but rather, to get the girl.

I am just putting down the 'in theory' understanding although most people just take the shahada and gradually learn or there are others that do not. That is between them and the Al-Mighty at the end of the day.

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

p.s. is it worth it? I believe so! Perhaps you won't feel the benefit in this life . . . .

kritikvernunft
11-11-2016, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
So, becoming a muslim because of another reason poses the 'spiritual' question that you did not see the 'way of life' as being the way, but rather, to get the girl.
Well, if you sincerely promise not to break the laws of Allah, our Beloved Master, he will facilitate you to get the girl of your dreams. I think that this is a fair deal.

Furthermore, insincerity -- e.g. because you actually turn out to be a drunkard -- will pretty much automatically backfire, because that is one of the few reasons for which a decent spouse may seek divorce. In that sense, the deal is a continuous one: For as long as you do not seriously break Divine Law, our Beloved Master will shower you with benefits.

I personally receive lots of advantages from our Beloved Master, and I do not see why I would refuse them? I want our Beloved Master to shower me with even more advantages!

theseeking
11-11-2016, 03:14 PM
How can i learn more and the basic guidelines? How to pray and such?

aaj
11-11-2016, 03:30 PM
How can i learn more and the basic guidelines?

Inshallah check these links
http://www.newmuslimguide.com/

http://www.new-muslims.info/
https://www.kalamullah.com/new-muslims.html
How to pray and such?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRmpPGEb6Q
http://raleighmasjid.org/how-to-pray/salah.htm
http://www.islamicbulletin.org/free_...orm_Salaah.pdf

*charisma*
11-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

How can i learn more and the basic guidelines? How to pray and such?

Some helpful resources from this forum:

For some basic terms in Islam check out this thread: Basic Islamic terms
To learn the basics of arabic try: Madinah Arabic
How to Pray: http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...ml#post2892052

sister herb
11-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Salam alaykum new brother

Welcome to Islam. May Allah makes your path easy to walk.

theseeking
11-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Thanks! i will start studying the links, do i have to go to an mosque to get an certificate, or can i get online somehow?

Olivia J
11-27-2016, 03:32 AM
Welcome Brother

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.