/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am i an bad muslim

Michael.M
11-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I became a muslim 4 years ago, and when i did i finally felt home, in a religion aspect. I converted at home, while saying the shahada. But i never really did anymore, i dont eat pig, and i dont drink. I see myself as an " modern " muslim, if you can say so. But i recently started thinking that i really aint a real muslim or what? i just started through youtube to learn how to pray. But i never use the islamic words like inshallah or mashallah, only assalamu alaikum. I wasnt raised saying them, so its just not to my nature, but i will try more. Another thing is i have never been to a mosque after i became a muslim, i saw it as an " thing " between me and Allah. So i dont have a certificate.

What do you think about what im saying? sorry for bad english.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snow
11-12-2016, 12:50 PM
You are doing better than being a good non-muslim

*charisma*
11-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Walaikum Assalaam @Michael.M and Welcome to the forum!

format_quote Originally Posted by Michael.M
Assalamu Alaikum

I became a muslim 4 years ago, and when i did i finally felt home, in a religion aspect. I converted at home, while saying the shahada. But i never really did anymore, i dont eat pig, and i dont drink. I see myself as an " modern " muslim, if you can say so. But i recently started thinking that i really aint a real muslim or what? i just started through youtube to learn how to pray. But i never use the islamic words like inshallah or mashallah, only assalamu alaikum. I wasnt raised saying them, so its just not to my nature, but i will try more. Another thing is i have never been to a mosque after i became a muslim, i saw it as an " thing " between me and Allah. So i dont have a certificate.

What do you think about what im saying? sorry for bad english.
I'd say remove the title of "modern muslim." There is no such thing. You don't have to title yourself, but just think of yourself as a muslim who needs to improve in his worship just like everyone else. No one is perfect and we all have our shortcomings when it comes to worship. You are a Muslim who still needs to learn the basics of Islam. Many of us grew up Muslim, but our families were not religious, so we had to go through the same thing you're going through.

Also saying adhkar such as mashallah alhemdulillah etc. is a part of our nature, so don't think of it as "it's not in my nature." If someone gives you a gift, do you just take it and walk away? No, you'd say "Thank you so much, you're so kind, etc." So when you say these Islamic phrases you are also Thanking and glorifying God for everything you have and everything around you; and instead of saying "hi" which really has no meaning, you'd say assalamu alaikum because you're wishing your brothers and sisters peace in their lives. So do you not prefer something like that to be more of your nature?

My advice to you is to start incorporating what you already do know on a daily basis. Since you know muslims say things like "inshallah, mashallah, assalamu alaikum" then start using them because you receive good deeds from saying these things and they are considered as a type of worship. You will get closer to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala the more you begin to acknowledge who you are through your actions. Learn how to pray as soon as possible because that is obligatory for you to do as a Muslim and it's the best way to connect to Allah and build reliance in Him.

As for being in the mosque, as a man you're supposed to pray the obligatory prayers there. In prayer, everyone has to have a focus so that they feel that "thing" you speak about (it's called khushoo'), no matter where they are at or who they're praying with. You can pray nafl and sunnah at home though after you pray with the congregation at the mosque. Praying congregation with others builds brotherhood and unity.

Don't think negatively of yourself just because you have not started practicing like you'd like to. You will get there inshallah, just put in more of the effort and make little changes everyday. Growing up, I didn't used to say adhkaar as often either, until I had a friend who would say them ALL the time. It started to become a habit of mine too, and then my habit rubbed on to others as well..so imagine the rewards of my friend now who was a constant reminder for me and now for all those other people too! :) You can be like that soon enough.

sister herb
11-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Wa alaykumussalam

Because you are thinking such things and worry about them, shows that you are a good muslim. Think the difference if you wouldn´t care at all.

Give time to yourself, learn more and sooner than you believe, many islamic practicies will become a natural part of your daily life.

And don´t worry about certificate thing - Allah knows what you have in your heart. Your shahada is your the certificate. To Allah some piece of paper and stamp on it means nothing.

I have been Muslim over 20 years now and me too, haven´t any certificate. ;)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supernova
11-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Asalaamualaykum

Just take it easy - Allah SWT judges each person to that limited capacity which He ordained himself.

The most important thing is that you try your best.

noraina
11-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

There is no such thing as a 'good' Muslim or a 'bad' Muslim, these are labels we apply to other or ourselves based on how we think 'things should be', which can be unrealistic from how things actually are. The fact you are concerned about your level of iman shows you are struggling and striving to fulfil your deen - and that's what matters, that you're trying.

And as has been said, this 'modern' vs 'traditional' Islam or Muslims isn't something we shouldn fall into. Islam is such a simple religion alhamdulillah, we have the Qur'an and the Sunnah to guide us, and their guidelines are the same regardless of time or place or nationality.

Keep up your salah, fasting, zakah, ect. Maybe go and join some brothers in the community through your mosque, I often find your own iman and knowledge increases when you interact with other Muslims.

Many Muslims, even though it may not be obvious, go through a similar journey to yourself, I was born in a Muslim family but I had to learn how to read salah, all of that 'Islamic terminology' :), and many fairy 'basic' acts of worship from scratch. It sometimes takes time to become fully incorporated into your lifestyle, but it will definitely happen inshaAllah. Even the best of Muslims struggle with prayer or some other part of Islam, and what brings them back is commitment and effort.

Kiro
11-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Follow the sunnah as best as you can and make friends with good practicing brothers

sister herb
11-12-2016, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Follow the sunnah as best as you can and make friends with good practicing brothers
That´s a good advice. I would like to add also that become active member of this forum; you will learn a lot of from here and will find out that we all have similar difficulties, same struggle and those similar ups and downs during our journey.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.