/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My mother isn't letting me get an Islamic education

Mustafa16
11-12-2016, 11:35 PM
For a while, I have wanted to go to an Islamic university named the Madinah institute, to become an imam or islamic scholar, after high school
http://www.madinainstituteusa.org/
only problem is, they charge tuition, and the first year is full time study.....and my mother, wont let me go, until ive gotten a 4 year degree from a regular university....even when my imaan was high and I was very religious, so don't say I need to be religious before I teach religion, because that logic does not apply here.......my father, (who is currently not talking to me), also says the same....my mom has said things like, "you can make your own decisions when you get older, but you don't have to live in my house," basically saying she'll kick me out of her home if I don't go to 4 year secular university....i find this very unfair.....what should i do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
11-13-2016, 12:33 AM
If you truly truly want to follow your dream, then pack your bags and leave. I'm serious, your parent don't have any right over you when it comes to education, be it secular or Islamic. No right, be it legal or Islamic.

Pack your bags and leave. You'll probably have to work your ass off, but you'll get by.

Also note that I am not saying that you should just disregard them. They'll come to their senses when you get back.

islamirama
11-13-2016, 12:49 AM
Don't follow his advice....

format_quote Originally Posted by 00001001
If you truly truly want to follow your dream, then pack your bags and leave. I'm serious, your parent don't have any right over you when it comes to education, be it secular or Islamic. No right, be it legal or Islamic.

Pack your bags and leave. You'll probably have to work your ass off, but you'll get by.

Also note that I am not saying that you should just disregard them. They'll come to their senses when you get back.
That's a very bad advice to give. Among the Islamic rights a child have over his parents is a good islamic education/upbringing.

https://islamqa.info/en/20064

kritikvernunft
11-13-2016, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
For a while, I have wanted to go to an Islamic university named the Madinah institute, to become an imam or islamic scholar, after high school
http://www.madinainstituteusa.org/ only problem is, they charge tuition, and the first year is full time study.....and my mother, wont let me go, until ive gotten a 4 year degree from a regular university
Offer to do 4 years in parallel at an online secular university. You can pick one, for example, here : https://www.coursera.org. The courses are to an important extent for free. Furthermore, you can even graduate from there when you are already in your fifties! (do not unnecessarily bring this to your parents' attention, though ...). Pick any subject that you can suffer. If there are time constraints, you should obviously prioritize your mortar-and-brick studies at the Madinah institute and pick up things at your online university as soon as time permits. In fact, you can finish the very last bits of your online stuff after you have been induced into the clergy already! ;-)

By the way, the coursera flagship partner university is the University of Stanford. Many courses at coursera are about technology, but you can pick more traditional courses such as liberal arts too. It should not be too difficult to convince your parents, because a name like Stanford would sound very prestigious on your C.V. If you research things thoroughly, you may be able to come up with a good story that will manage to convince your parents.

Furthermore, later on, in the clergy, it will not be a bad thing to have a second subject. The strand of ulema that you may be joining, could seek to appoint you to particular responsibilities because of your additional background. You should certainly not hesitate to use it in defense of the faith!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Bismillah666
06-11-2018, 03:13 PM
You are a fake Muslim to advise a fellow young man such wrong ideas.

format_quote Originally Posted by 00001001

Karl
06-11-2018, 11:00 PM
only problem is, they charge tuition, and the first year is full time study.....and my mother, wont let me go, until ive gotten a 4 year degree from a regular university....even when my imaan was high and I was very religious, so don't say I need to be religious before I teach religion, because that logic does not apply here.......my father, (who is currently not talking to me), also says the same....my mom has said things like, "you can make your own decisions when you get older, but you don't have to live in my house," basically saying she'll kick me out of her home if I don't go to 4 year secular university....i find this very unfair.....what should i do?
Depends if you want to be wealthy or poor financially speaking. A true Holy man cannot have money. If you want material wealth in this world go to University and study commerce.

Ibn Yaqzan
06-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Its up to you, dont blame your mother for your own deeds/desicions.

If you want ilm, you have to put some effort in it, scholars of the past had to leave there country without any financial help to study islamic sciences.

muslima0987
07-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Listen to your parents. Your parents knows what ia best for you. There is no blessing in praying if you make your parents cry. Even jihad is forbidden for you if your parents will that you stay home. No blessing at all and whitout the blessing and dua from your parents you will maybe ended in hellfire. So listen allways to your parents and treat them well because obeying them is the treu happiness because la illaha illah Allah comes first than your parents than djihad. Allah command us to do so.

mikail
08-29-2019, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima0987
Listen to your parents. Your parents knows what ia best for you. There is no blessing in praying if you make your parents cry. Even jihad is forbidden for you if your parents will that you stay home. No blessing at all and whitout the blessing and dua from your parents you will maybe ended in hellfire. So listen allways to your parents and treat them well because obeying them is the treu happiness because la illaha illah Allah comes first than your parents than djihad. Allah command us to do so.
( “And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years give thanks to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destination.
But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience. Then to Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do.”
[Luqmaan 31:14,15]
It says in al-Fawaakih ad-Dawaani ‘ala Risaalat Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawaani (2/290): One of the individual obligations upon every accountable individual is honouring his parents, i.e., treating them kindly, even if they are evildoers, with regard to anything that does not involve shirk (or sin), and even if they are mushrikeen, because of the verses which indicate that in general terms. Rights are not waived because of evildoing or being of different religions. End quote.
With regard to obeying disbelieving parents in matters that are right and proper, the scholars differed as to whether that is obligatory. A number of scholars stated that it is also obligatory to obey them in matters that do not involve disobedience towards Allah, may He be exalted. )
Quotes taken from an IslamQA Topic.

jameelash
08-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Better u listen to your parents..after you finish ur studies u can stand on ur own..

'Abdullah
08-30-2019, 05:30 PM
While its great that you want to be an Islamic scholar, you need to listen to your parents in this case. This is what Islam teaches. Talk to your parents with love. Tell them they you will listen to them and complete your 4 years degree but after that they will let you go to Medina for Islamic education. I am sure they will be okay with that. May be focus on digital media so that later you can use this education to spread the message of Islam. May be open your own channel some day inshallah.

Keep praying to Allah to make it easy for you to fulfill your dream, do istikhara and anything you will do after that will be rewarded as if you are doing Jihad in the path of Allah SWT becuase you are doing all this to please Allah and obey Allah's commandments. Mean while you can start learning Arabic because it will help you when you go to Medina. Start memorizing Quran as well and renew your intention every night before you go to bed. Trust me Allah will make things easy for you and will put barakah in everything you will do.

All the best!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.