/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with depression ever drop out of college?

sister_39738
11-17-2016, 04:48 AM
This thread has been deleted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aaj
11-19-2016, 07:45 AM
:salam:

I know of someone who suffers from depression, panic attacks and a number of other issues. She was going full time to college this year but has has dropped down to just one class. She goes into depressive panic attacks almost everyday. She is on meds not but it'll probably take time before they kick in. When you are stuck in that frame of mind hours on end, it leaves not a lot of time to study much less even think about it. She is thinking of dropping out after this semester and it's her first year too. She is thinking of going to some trade school to learn something and just work instead.

You have depression only and not a bag of other things as well. So you're probably in much better position from where she is standing. But I can understand that depression can take the motivation right out of you and your desire to do anything. Some things you could consider :ia: are

1. try to get a medical excuse that allows you extensions on your studies so you can study and take exams when you are ready

2. take some depression meds, if you are not already or need to depending on your case

3. consider going to a trade school or a community college instead? community college is a lot cheaper and the credits do transfer to colleges.

4. do free courses online at your leisure, like those on coursera . They offer certificates you can pay for to go towards college credit.

5. just take some time off from college and work on yourself and come back when you have a desire to learn something you like

You will get tired of calling center jobs, they are not that great, especially when the customer is very upset. Plus $12-15 is not lot of money, it may see a lot now but it really isn't. You're better of doing a certificate in something short term and make $20 at the very least. There is no way you can pay your debt off as well with that kind of money. There are other ways to get your school paid for as well. You could do teaching and work in low economical school district and get loan forgiveness from government, or look for other certificate based occupations. Paying that debt off like this will be hard and take forever.

whatever you decide, may Allah make it easy on you inshallah.

Khadijah.Colin
11-19-2016, 08:21 AM
I dropped out of college in 2007 with depression. Over the years I keep looking at adult courses and online courses to take as I want to do something academic. At the time of just wanted to give up on everything and my whole life seemed to be falling apart. In the long run, it hasn't been worth it and I keep aaj said, paying off debts with a low income job is extremely hard, having to account for your current living expenses too. You will most likely only be meeting the minimum payment each month and so when totalled up by the time you have paid it all, you would of paid alot more interest than intended. Loans and credit are a very difficult situation to free yourself from.
May Allah ease your difficulties.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.