/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is there actually any guide to what to do if you are intersex?

ma23
11-21-2016, 01:37 AM
I'm just curious. I found out recently I have a Y chromosome and may be intersex. I hae always had like issues concerning my gender and stuff. And I know the Quran says things about how GOD created men women and some both but actual text about people like this I don't really find? Am I missing something?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
11-21-2016, 10:56 PM
From what I am able to find, if it is a genuinely medical issue (and being born XXY would qualify) if you decided to seek gender reassignment surgery this would be allowed Islamically. Not all scholars have agreed with this (there are plenty who side with the idea that you are as Allah made you) but there have been many fatwas issued that allow it as well. The delineating factors tend to be the sect, school, and basic liberalness of the person issuing the fatwa. My recommendation (and Allah knows best) would be to seek a fatwa for yourself after doing plenty of research and have that research ready to provide the person giving the fatwa.

islamirama
11-22-2016, 12:01 AM
Well since we know there are plenty of fatwas out there, then we know that it's not one path only.

Best thing to do is wait and see which sex becomes dominant so it's clear as to which side to go. Even a conservative site like islamqa.com allows it but cautions rushing into it.

The surgery that is permissible in such cases is if a person was originally created male or female, but his genital organs are hidden. In that case it is permissible to do surgery in order to make those organs appear, and to give him or her medicine or hormones to strengthen the characteristics with which Allah originally created him or her.

But in the case of one who was created with both female and male genitalia – this is what is called ambiguous intersex – it is not permissible to be hasty in removing one and making the other more apparent. Rather we should wait until it is known what Allah, may He be exalted, will decree for this individual, which may become apparent after some time has passed.

For a more detailed discussion on intersex please see the answer to question no. 114670

https://islamqa.info/en/138451

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.