PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for equivalent in Islamic tradition



kritikvernunft
11-24-2016, 04:57 PM
I was raised in Catholic Church Latin, which is the equivalent on the Christian side of Classical Quranic Quraish Arabic on the Muslim side.

In music, counterpoint is the relationship between voices that are harmonically interdependent (polyphony) yet independent in rhythm and contour. The term originates from the Latin punctus contra punctum meaning "point against point". Counterpoint generally involves musical lines with strongly independent identities. Species counterpoint generally offers less freedom to the composer than other types of counterpoint and therefore is called a "strict" counterpoint.

Note that counterpoint is actually an arbitrary mathematical scheme full of restrictions on what is allowed in terms of harmonics. It is possible to create an unlimited number of such schemes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint

Considerations for all species. The following rules apply to melodic writing in each species, for each part:

1. The final must be approached by step. If the final is approached from below, then the leading tone must be raised in a minor key (Dorian, Hypodorian, Aeolian, Hypoaeolian), but not in Phrygian or Hypophrygian mode. Thus, in the Dorian mode on D, a C♯ is necessary at the cadence.[5]
2. Permitted melodic intervals are the perfect fourth, fifth, and octave, as well as the major and minor second, major and minor third, and ascending minor sixth. The ascending minor sixth must be immediately followed by motion downwards.

The following example is a "strict" counterpoint in four voice groups: two female ones and two male ones. The theme is the Last Day, i.e. the anger of the Judge, the most Merciful God.


  • voice group A: only women
  • voice group B: only women
  • voice group C: only men
  • voice group D: only men




The sound is meant to inspire fear. Cuncta stricta discussurus. Everything will be discussed very strictly.
Pull out your paperwork and explain what you have been doing during your short term on earth, because it could easily go wrong.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al Sultan
11-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
I was raised in Catholic Church Latin
So you're a convert mashallah?
Reply

kritikvernunft
11-25-2016, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by Al Sultan
So you're a convert mashallah?
You could say so. You will only find me on the winning side! ;-)
Reply

Scimitar
11-25-2016, 04:06 AM
So - if the wind changes, you'd go back? Pragmatism is over rated. :D

Scimi
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
kritikvernunft
11-25-2016, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
So - if the wind changes, you'd go back? Pragmatism is over rated. :D
It is not a conflict between people but between mathematical models. tl;dr: You cannot change the outcome. That cannot be done. Just keep moving the pieces as they want to move. You cannot move them in any other way, anyway, and put the other side checkmate.
Reply

Serinity
11-25-2016, 10:39 AM
:salam:

I don't like to hear to these songs, cuz they instill despair and brings no good, to me, at least. Ps. I am sure Musical instruments has been used. Which is haram (except for one, I think - The drum? Idk)

It is a depressive song. you can't come close to Allah through haram means. The only way to come close to Allah, is through what Allah has prescribed and commanded.

I can't just pray 5 rakaahs of Fajr, just because I feel very good.

And Allah :swt: knows best.
Reply

kritikvernunft
11-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Serinity
Ps. I am sure Musical instruments has been used. Which is haram (except for one, I think - The drum? Idk)
Then dump all instruments that are haram. I didn't know about that one. You can perfectly-well limit yourself to wood and leather without using metal.
Originally Posted by Serinity
It is a depressive song.
I suspect that the Last Day will be a bit depressive to quite a few people ...
Originally Posted by Serinity
you can't come close to Allah through haram means. The only way to come close to Allah, is through what Allah has prescribed and commanded.
Agreed.
Originally Posted by Serinity
I can't just pray 5 rakaahs of Fajr, just because I feel very good. And Allah :swt: knows best.
You are also allowed to feel very bad.
Reply

greenhill
11-25-2016, 02:35 PM
I am trying to get my head 'around' to what you are trying to say…. I can almost 'see' it (although I cannot open the vid due to my computer having problems)...

The thing is, the experience in islam, (the true experience) is like nothing else. The inner peace it gives is not comparable to anything else. But the catch is to 'drop' worldly things…. that is the hardest part.

I digress..

Is the video similar to hymns? …. before I proceed further..


:peace:
Reply

kritikvernunft
11-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by greenhill
I am trying to get my head 'around' to what you are trying to say…. I can almost 'see' it (although I cannot open the vid due to my computer having problems)...

The thing is, the experience in islam, (the true experience) is like nothing else. The inner peace it gives is not comparable to anything else. But the catch is to 'drop' worldly things…. that is the hardest part.

I digress..

Is the video similar to hymns? …. before I proceed further..


:peace:
I don't remember what it was about. I am now looking for a fungible Indian export product to intercept for which I would be able to pay the exporter in excess indian rupee. 1 bitcoin is worth 737 dollars in the global market while it is worth 1000+ dollars on the Indian bitcoin exchanges. You can make 263/1000=26.3% profits on the current situation, by rotating the same amount again and again. Lather. Rince. Repeat. Lots of sharks in international waters are sniffing and tasting blood now. Fake Indian IDs are at a premium on the tor network. The shark assault from international waters is probably already ongoing. Let's look what the fellow Indian programmers in Silicon Valley are doing! ;-)

By the way, it is almost https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day.
Reply

Scimitar
11-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
It is not a conflict between people but between mathematical models. tl;dr: You cannot change the outcome. That cannot be done. Just keep moving the pieces as they want to move. You cannot move them in any other way, anyway, and put the other side checkmate.
You used the TL;DR wrongly :D

Your answer was going off in directions which were neither here nor there, and my question got left unanswered. So I ask again:

if the wind changes, will you apostate?

Scimi
Reply

kritikvernunft
11-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
if the wind changes, will you apostate?
Scimi, I have already said that the wind cannot change. It is too late for that. Your computations are not particularly good. Furthermore, none of this depends on the wind. You don't see what's going on, that is why you say things like that. You are questioning things that are exclusively between me and My Master, The Most Merciful Allah. They are none of your business.

Google won't allow the co-inventor of Unix and the C language to check-in code, because he won't take the mandatory language test. Between 1969 and 1973, Ken Thompson created Unix with Dennis Ritchie. At the same time he also developed the C language. The speed and simplicity of C helped Unix spread widely. Both have subsequently become quite popular. Google hired Thompson to create a new language, Go, written in C. But Google also requires all of its recruits to pass a language test. According to Thompson, he hasn't quite got round to it yet - and so can't submit code in C.


If I told you that nobody I know, would ever consider working for Google? ;-)

By the way, what exactly is to apostatize? Telling unbelievers what they want to hear? Everybody does that all the time. I don't see anything special concerning that. And in the end, Allah knows best!
Reply

Scimitar
11-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by kritikvernunft
Scimi, I have already said that the wind cannot change. It is too late for that. Your computations are not particularly good. Furthermore, none of this depends on the wind. You don't see what's going on, that is why you say things like that. You are questioning things that are exclusively between me and My Master, The Most Merciful Allah. They are none of your business.

Google won't allow the co-inventor of Unix and the C language to check-in code, because he won't take the mandatory language test. Between 1969 and 1973, Ken Thompson created Unix with Dennis Ritchie. At the same time he also developed the C language. The speed and simplicity of C helped Unix spread widely. Both have subsequently become quite popular. Google hired Thompson to create a new language, Go, written in C. But Google also requires all of its recruits to pass a language test. According to Thompson, he hasn't quite got round to it yet - and so can't submit code in C.


If I told you that nobody I know, would ever consider working for Google? ;-)

By the way, what exactly is to apostatize? Telling unbelievers what they want to hear? Everybody does that all the time. I don't see anything special concerning that. And in the end, Allah knows best!
A Simple "no" would have sufficed, and so I actually did a TL;DR on your post lol

Scimi
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2014, 04:54 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM
  4. Replies: 75
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 07:23 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!