/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I a muslim?

littleHercules
11-29-2016, 03:58 AM
Sorry if I sound ignorant. I am not sure if I am considered a Muslim or not. I was playing an online game and met a very friendly woman I liked to play the game with and she mentioned she was a Muslim. I told her I had read the Quran and was introduced to Islam in college in a religious study class. I told her I really did think Mohamed was the prophet and did believe in the Quran. She asked me to profess my faith to witnesses online which I did and she then said I was then a Muslim, but I don't know if that is really true. I came from a protestant family, attended many bible study groups at the church went to as a kid and always really enjoyed reading the old testament. When I was introduced to Islam in college in a religious study class I took I really enjoyed reading the Quran. I would listen to audio recordings when I would study or would play online games.

I never really considered myself a Muslim just because I find my morals not as good as they should be to be worthy enough to be a Muslim and I still practice a lot of Christian customs just because that is what I grew up with. I also don't pray much, only once in a while and I do feel really guilty about that. So I figured since I don't pray five times a day like I should I must not be a Muslim then. I do enjoy reading the Quran a couple times a week, especially when I am suffering from periods of depression. I feel I am still too immature to really be a Muslim. I always figured I would start praying five times a day and be more serious when I decide to grow up out of my immaturity, just not ready to make that step yet. I do a lot things I shouldn't like being in a lot of one night stands picking up women at bars. Everything else I am pretty good about, it is just women have always been my weakness in life :)

Am I Muslim or am I still considered a Christian?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
11-29-2016, 04:16 AM
If you have taken the sahahadah (testimony of faith)[(“there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah”).]

and you firmly believe that then you are a Muslim. Everything else you do that is contradicting the Islamic values and rules makes one a sinner and a bad Muslim, but still a Muslim nonetheless. You should try to take this more seriously and try to become a better Muslim, do not be like the other bad Muslims out there. Remember that the more you go towards Allah, the easier He will make it for you.

*charisma*
11-29-2016, 11:53 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

You are considered a Muslim because you fully believe it in your heart and you have professed the shahada. If you're not following Islam 100% you're committing sins, but we all do and no one is perfect. It's just something you have to work on and make stronger. Having a strong faith in Allah and a bigger understanding of your faith can help with depression, anxiety, and all types of issues that you may feel. Maybe you can visit a mosque or try to volunteer at places where there is a stronger Muslim community so you can be more familiar with the faith. Otherwise take it day by day and try to improve yourself as you go along. Even starting little practices can be good strong habits in the long run. And also you can always come here to this forum to ask questions about anything.

greenhill
11-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the forum.

You are a confused as would be expected as you are pretty much unguided in your pursuit. To help you understand better, I would suggest that you read the stories of the islamic prophets from Adam (pbuh) through Noah,….Abraham…Jacob, Davis,.. Solomon…Moses….Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them all) and you would see consistencies in the messages preached by them all. It was never meant to be 3 different religions but a continuation of the teachings from one to the other culminating with the final messenger, Muhammad pbuh.

Why it became 3 religions has its roots in the vow of Satan the accursed to lead men astray and follow him to hell. So he would never allow any messages from Allah to easily take root in our hearts and mind. He would fight it when the prophets came and he would still fight it when the prophets are no longer around.

Take your time to learn. The fact that you have taken the shahadah means that you have become a muslim. Being a muslim in essence is to be totally submissive of Allah's Will and to do things that pleases Him and to avoid things that will incur His wrath. That is your intention. With the right intention, you would be in the best starting point.

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
11-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Welcome to Islam sis. If you wish you may take shahadah in any nearby mosque or Islamic centre.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.