/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Afflicting little pain upon yourself to avoid temptation?

Serinity
12-01-2016, 08:27 PM
:salam:

Is it permissible? Cuz sometimes, I get desires, without me thinking of anything. I inflict little bits of pain upon myself to let go of the temptation.

Is this Halal? To avoid another evil??

The pain is temporary, it is like a distractor. I tried to think of PC's, it did not work.. Pain did.

The purpose is good I think..... It worked.

Allahu alam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslim brother
12-01-2016, 09:10 PM
:bism:

dear brother ,allah taalas mercy is the greatest
apart from prophets ,all of us are sinners,we are all weak and have been created as such.
a drop of a tear of regret cools the fire of jahannum more than the oceans of the world ever can
there are times when we focus on allahs mercy more when we are down and just being human
your approach could lead to self harm,and worse.

some istighfaar with sincerity and just accepting your humanity and allahs forgiveness would be better as we will never be perfect and sinless like prophets.

BeTheChange
12-01-2016, 10:27 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

Rather than inflicting pain why not remove the temptation?

For example if you feel like you may sin by drinking alcohol - avoid social situations where there is alcohol.

If you feel you may sin with the opposite gender - then avoid the opposite gender etc etc.

Self harm is haraam in Islam but i am not sure whether it is halaal in the context you are describing. If you inflict pain on yourself then one day you will become immune to that pain and you may need to increase the pain you inflict on yourself - it may spiral out of control. I personally would say not to inflict yourself with pain as your body is a trust from Allah swt.

Learn to control and manage your emotions/temptations in a different way that does not harm you. This will also build your character.

The more you leave a sin the more your emaan will grow & the more desire you have to sin but walk away instead shows how much you love Allah swt. That's something you can work on insha Allah - measure how much you love Allah swt by your willingness to leave sin - subhna Allah. May Allah swt make the path of good easy for you Ameen.

May Allah swt help you find a way Ameen.

islamirama
12-02-2016, 01:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
:salam:

Is it permissible? Cuz sometimes, I get desires, without me thinking of anything. I inflict little bits of pain upon myself to let go of the temptation.

Is this Halal? To avoid another evil??
Your body has rights over you. Your body also is not yours, it is a loan to you from Allah and how you treat it will be questioned when you return it upon death. So self harm is haram and not allowed.

As Charisma said, find an alternative way. Islam not only forbids haram but it forbids all paths leading to that. So remove anything that leads to temptations.

Here's food for thought...

Muhammad Ali used to carry a lighter in his pocket, even though he did not smoke. When ever he would be tempted by something, the would light the lighter under his hand and then say does this hurt? Hell is a lot more hotter than this, so don't even think about it. It didn't burn him but it did the trick.

format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED PATEL
a drop of a tear of regret cools the fire of jahannum more than the oceans of the world ever can.
do you have any dalil for this?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Serinity
12-03-2016, 07:15 PM
I know it is low to hurt yourself, and it shows how weak my Taqwa is.

I lack Spiritual strength, if you know what I mean.

I find myself doubting my Ghusl. Cuz is intention in the heart without any words uttered, enough?? When is ghusl accepted, and not accepted?

I am weak, spiritually, and I lack Imaan. It is because I am weak that I can not control my desires. I know Quraan is my source of Strength.

But I feel impure, although I did ghusl, but because I doubt the acceptance of it, I fear reading Quraan.

I hate my weakness, and I want to change that. This is not a matter of mental strength, I feel. But rather the amount of Taqwa I have.

The more taqwa, the less sinning/more control I have.

I do ghusl because I worry about cleanliness. I need to get Closer to Allah.
I mean, WHEN is ghusl not accepted?

piXie
12-03-2016, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
I know it is low to hurt yourself, and it shows how weak my Taqwa is.

I lack Spiritual strength, if you know what I mean.

I find myself doubting my Ghusl. Cuz is intention in the heart without any words uttered, enough?? When is ghusl accepted, and not accepted?

I am weak, spiritually, and I lack Imaan. It is because I am weak that I can not control my desires. I know Quraan is my source of Strength.

But I feel impure, although I did ghusl, but because I doubt the acceptance of it, I fear reading Quraan.

I hate my weakness, and I want to change that. This is not a matter of mental strength, I feel. But rather the amount of Taqwa I have.

The more taqwa, the less sinning/more control I have.

I do ghusl because I worry about cleanliness. I need to get Closer to Allah.
I mean, WHEN is ghusl not accepted?
:salamext: brother,

These are wiswaas and you need to finish them before they finish you. Below is a very important link & I urge you to read it because you need to understand where the shaytaan is getting you from in order to defeat him. Knowledge about this matter is very important and the first step to overcoming this problem. You need to understand and strictly follow the guidelines of the Prophet :saws1: in this matter. It is the only way you will overcome your wiswaas. Here is an extract from the link;

We are misrepresenting Islam by our extremist acts. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "The (whole) earth has been made a mosque (or a place of prayer) and a means of purification for me, so wherever a man of my ummah may be when the time for prayer comes, let him pray." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

So, this hadith clarifies that matters of Salah and purification were made easy for this Ummah, and he who inflicts himself with troubles and extremes that are not from Allah, will be judged with added strictness too. So, what Allah has made easy, let it be easy. Allah knows we cannot be perfect in wudu. Allah knows we cannot be perfect in Salah. "Allah wants ease for you, and does not want difficulty". Why do we recite استغقرالله thrice immediately after Salah? This is a confession, an admission that we were not able to pray the way we were supposed to. Why do we ask Allah to make us amongst the توابين after wudu? This is a clear-cut confession that we have grave errors in performing the orders of Allah. The solution is to follow the guidelines set by the Prophet Muhammad and to follow his illuminated path. He had already warned us of the tricks of Shaitaan. He already warned us that these tricks would get severe in future: "There will be people from my nation who will transgress in making supplications and in purifying themselves". So, are you still going to prefer the waswaas of Shaitaan over the commands and guidelines of Prophet Muhammad? Are you going to make the religion difficult for yourself to follow?

Narrated Abu Huraira رضى الله عنه: The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, "Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights."
For the whole article please see http://islamandpsychology.blogspot.c...n-ibaadat.html

May Allah help you to overcome all problems. Aameen.

Serinity
12-04-2016, 11:33 AM
I never feel at ease, hm....... I know it is from shaytaan.

It all started from the thoughts of Shirk, seems like shaytaan wants me to rock my foundation of Imaan...... I know that.

The more I think the more confused I get. Sigh.

I can not give up on Islam, cuz that is what Shaytaan wants. I should not fight the wasswas, cuz that is what shaytaan wants. If I ignore it, I feel like a hypocrite. So what if I do feel I one.. Allah knows I am trying my best.

I do not need to prove myself to anyone besides Allah.

So my only option is to just ignore it, and don't care if I feel like a hypocrite, cuz that is from shaytaan.

Cuz I don't care what I feel, what matters is whether what I know and do is right. I know Islam is truth, I know Allah will accept my ghusl, wudhu and prayer cuz I try my best.

I know Worship is for no one besides Allah. And only those who worshipped Allah alone will go to Jannah. None else.

So I should not care what I feel. Right?
It is indeed overburdering me.
Allahu alam.

Umm Abed
12-16-2016, 10:55 AM
You are feeling exhausted and exasperated hence you are thinking of resorting to inflicting self-pain in order to keep yourself in check.

I have a better suggestion. If you feel that you are sinning then after making taubah, perform two rakats salah. You can increase this everytime you feel you are slipping, but keep it up.

As for waswasah, just give it no attention, so, that means, no struggle or fighting it -- and no giving up on yourself. @Serenity .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.