/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Begging?

sister_39738
12-02-2016, 04:39 PM
I know begging is haram but what constitutes begging? Is asking for monetary help (from the masjid) of any kind begging?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anatolian
12-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Is asking for any help haram? Don't think so.

greenhill
12-03-2016, 03:33 AM
I will try to explain… it is not going to be too easy to 'capture' the essence of the idea..

Bottom line is that

1) our rizq (earnings) is predetermined by Allah.
2) we have to contribute to our society (in whatever capacity we can)

So, although in islam we are encouraged to be charitable, it does not equate to capable people making use of this aspect to live of other people's kindness.

We are supposed to do Allah's bidding and have faith that Allah will provide for you. Just sitting and begging for money is not doing anything (productive) and teaches you nothing about contributing back to society except perhaps to have expectations on society to contribute to you livelihood, (even if you are capable of doing work).

To go a step further, I have seen in the past where people hold up boards stating "will work for a meal", states that he is willing to exchange his efforts for a meal, and if people decide to give him a meal without giving him work is not begging. There was an offer. Begging offers nothing.

:peace:

islamirama
12-03-2016, 05:25 AM
I know begging is haram but what constitutes begging? Is asking for monetary help (from the masjid) of any kind begging?
It is ok to ask for assistance if one is in need.

It is not permissible for anyone to ask people for money when he is not in need or he is able to earn a living. There are certain categories for whom it is permissible to ask of people. They are: the poor person who is destitute, the man who owes a debt, and the one who has been stricken by financial calamity and lost all his wealth. In these cases it is not permissible to ask for more than one needs, on condition that he does not have enough to meet his needs and is not able to earn enough for his livelihood.

more at: https://islamqa.info/en/104781

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
12-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Begging is disliked in Islam however, if someone is helpless and can't earn the money, he can.

sister_39738
12-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the responses I only asked this because I have been debating if I should ask my masjid for a donation. I have been having trouble paying my rent this semester because I didn't get a big refund and I had to cut back work hours to focus on school. I simply just don't earn enough but I have no other place to go. I got a small grant from my university but when I still don't make enough to pay rent, electric, medicine and toiletries. I haven't even turned on my cell because I don't have enough money. But I don't want to ask for the money because we have a lot of syrian refugees here that need it. Just going to ask Allah about it.

islamirama
12-06-2016, 12:24 AM
you would qualify for zakat money, you should still ask your masjid.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.