/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is boxing haram?

Snow
12-04-2016, 03:26 AM
I've mostly done grappling and I'm considering to start training boxing.
Would you consider it haram?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
12-04-2016, 04:00 AM
It would not be a sport for Muslims to go into. Islam forbids striking the face.

The Islamic sharee’ah permits all things that are beneficial to the body and do not harm it, and it forbids all things that may cause damage or harm to the body. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Your body has rights over you.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Sawm, 1839)

If sports are free from things which are forbidden in sharee’ah, then practising those sports is beneficial.

Boxing is based on allowing punches to the face of one's opponent using the maximum force that one possesses. Blows to the face earn more points than blows to any other part of the body. This clearly goes against the teaching of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as narrated by Abu Hurayrah: “When any one of you fights, let him avoid (striking) the face.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 5/215).

details at https://islamqa.info/en/10427

Snow
12-04-2016, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
It would not be a sport for Muslims to go into. Islam forbids striking the face.

The Islamic sharee’ah permits all things that are beneficial to the body and do not harm it, and it forbids all things that may cause damage or harm to the body. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Your body has rights over you.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Sawm, 1839)

If sports are free from things which are forbidden in sharee’ah, then practising those sports is beneficial.

Boxing is based on allowing punches to the face of one's opponent using the maximum force that one possesses. Blows to the face earn more points than blows to any other part of the body. This clearly goes against the teaching of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as narrated by Abu Hurayrah: “When any one of you fights, let him avoid (striking) the face.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 5/215).

details at https://islamqa.info/en/10427

I guess I'll stick with BJJ.
Thanks for the reply.

A.I
12-04-2016, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama

I believe it is only haram when you are in a competition. Other than that, it is useful for self defense.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
12-04-2016, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A.I
I believe it is only haram when you are in a competition. Other than that, it is useful for self defense.
Yes, it is only haram when in training because you are striking a fellow believer.
And boxing is not war, it's a sport where a believer is being struck in the face for the entertainment of others.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.