/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bird flu

noraina
12-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

Anyone heard of the recent outbreaks of bird flu (aka Avian Influenza) across Europe? I suppose it more concerns people who actually own poultry but it is still such a pain.

My poor free-range chickens are in lockdown. The government has enforced a prevention zone which covers all of the UK until January. That means it's compulsory to keep all poultry either locked inside or kept securely away from wild birds - which means my chickens can't be let out into the garden to roam around. Khayr, we have built a medium-sized pen for them, so they can kinda be outside but locked away.

InshaAllah it all passes over soon. All these extra precautions are tiring, lol.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
12-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Few bird flu cases have found also from Finland, from the wild birds. In the area where they have found has similar prevention zone like in the UK. Situation may not be as bad right now as many migratory birds have already left the country for the winter time. What happens at the spring, is the other thing.

sister herb
12-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Avian influenza A(H5N8) situation in Europe, December 2016

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/View...rticleId=22663

noraina
12-09-2016, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Few bird flu cases have found also from Finland, from the wild birds. In the area where they have found has similar prevention zone like in the UK. Situation may not be as bad right now as many migratory birds have already left the country for the winter time. What happens at the spring, is the other thing.

Yes, I'd heard there was some cases in Finland. Apparently it is low risk at the moment, and the birds who have passed it around are migrating as you've said, inshaAllah it'll be over soon.

I have some slightly annoyed chickens though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
12-09-2016, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
I have some slightly annoyed chickens though.
I could of course (if situation doesn´t change bad in here) offer an asylum to your poor chickens. ;)

Zeal
12-09-2016, 06:01 PM
You live on a farm??

noraina
12-09-2016, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I could of course (if situation doesn´t change bad in here) offer an asylum to your poor chickens.
They'll eat up all your flowers :D.

format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal
You live on a farm??
I live in a rural area, although not on a farm. I just have three adorable chickens I adore, but the Protection Zone applies to backyard chickens owners as much as farms.

azc
12-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Diseases like Bird flu or swine flu etc are spread by media

azc
12-09-2016, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Yes, I'd heard there was some cases in Finland. Apparently it is low risk at the moment, and the birds who have passed it around are migrating as you've said, inshaAllah it'll be over soon. I have some slightly annoyed chickens though.
some years ago media spread the news of bird flu and people stopped eating chicken. As a result rate of chicken fell down. And poor people enjoyed their favourite dish at Rs 10 per kg in Delhi.

ardianto
12-09-2016, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Do not underestimate bird flu, bro. From 199 bird flu cases that happened in Indonesia, 167 patients died. It's mean the rate of death for this disease is 84%.

azc
12-09-2016, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Do not underestimate bird flu, bro. From 199 bird flu cases that happened in Indonesia, 167 patients died. It's mean the rate of death for this disease is 84%.
plz tell me the total population of Indonesia and then see what's the ratio. According to wiki The population of Indonesiaaccording to the 2010 national census was 237.64 million, [1]and it was estimated to reach 255.4 million in 2015......

sister herb
12-09-2016, 07:34 PM
^^ Do you think we shouldn´t try to stop kind of pandemics while it´s still possible?

This may happen again and next one may be even more deadly as people travel much more than before:

The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus. It infected 500 million people across the world, including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and resulted in the deaths of 50 to 100 million (three to five percent of the world's population).

noraina
12-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Maybe they do like to sensationalise it, but it is still a risk. And some strains of bird flu *are* potentially dangerous to people.

ardianto
12-10-2016, 03:14 AM
plz tell me the total population of Indonesia and then see what's the ratio. According to wiki The population of Indonesiaaccording to the 2010 national census was 237.64 million, [1]and it was estimated to reach 255.4 million in 2015......
Ratio between cases and population is indeed extremely low. But ratio between dead patients and cases is very high.

That's why we must aware of bird flu.

azc
12-10-2016, 04:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Ratio between cases and population is indeed extremely low. But ratio between dead patients and cases is very high. That's why we must aware of bird flu.
Ratio is almost 'nothing' if compared to total population of the country or other diseases people die of everyday in hospitals. I don't deny the effect of this disease though but it is exaggerated and highlighted by media. I don't trust media as I see the well planned strategy of pharmaceutical companies to pile up the money by creating panic around the globe through paid-media. As a Muslim we shouldn't concentrate on such issues as time,date and causes of the death are predestined.

ardianto
12-10-2016, 04:20 AM
Ratio is almost 'nothing' if compared to total population of the country or other diseases people die of everyday in hospitals. I don't deny the effect of this disease though but it is exaggerated and highlighted by media. I don't trust media as I see the well planned strategy of pharmaceutical companies to pile up the money by creating panic around the globe through paid-media. As a Muslim we shouldn't concentrate on such issues as time,date and causes of the death are predestined.
I will not make a comment about medias in India or other countries. But medias in Indonesia do not exaggerate the epidemic because they only announce official data from ministry of health. In my country, when people see their avian suddenly die, they immediately report it to community leader that will forward this report to govt health agency. Then the health agency send rapid action team to handle this.

Rapid action team when sterilize chicken farm that suspected of hit by avian influenza.

Alhamdulillah, it decrease the cases of avian influenza (bird flu) in Indonesia.

azc
12-10-2016, 05:20 AM
^ thanks for this info....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.