PDA

View Full Version : Can you do worldly stuff in the masjid?



Zeal
12-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Salamun Alaykum,

I'd like to revise in the masjid because sometimes prayer times are not that far apart, so i cba to go back home. Is this permissible?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
12-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Wa'alaikumsalam.

As long as not inside the masjid hall, it's okay. You can use other areas of masjid like terrace or garden to continue your work. Many Muslims do this.
Reply

*charisma*
12-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Walaikum Asalaam

As bro ardianto said, it's not permissible. You have to realize the mosque is a place of worship, away from secular activities. People go there to retreat from the world and put their remembrance in Allah. If you are not there to worship Allah, then do not sit there because it's disrespectful. You can study in places around the mosque, perhaps go to a nearby coffee shop or sit in your car lol, or actually take the time and make dhikr if the time between the salaahs are that short.
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Wresting in masjid? anyone?

I'm up for it

Scimi
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Zeal
12-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Jazakamullahu khairan

Our masjid doesn't have a garden but even if there was lol no way with how cold it is out here and masjid is so comfy too



Also @*charisma* @ardianto what if my studies were deen related or with an intention that was 'islamic'/to please Allah SWT i.e: to earn enough to make hijrah, would that make a difference?
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 05:48 PM
wait... who said you can't study math or science texts in a masjid? :D

Doesn't the Qur'an encourage the reader to contemplate matters such as creation?

Would the imams not be able to clarify the position of Islam in relation to the scientific enquiry of such ayaat?

Who says you can't study other things in a masjid if they are beneficial?

What nonsense is this?

The masjid is a house of worship, and contemplating the creation in light of the Creator, is hugely beneficial in sterngthening imaan.

Scimi
Reply

*charisma*
12-11-2016, 05:53 PM
I've been trying to find an answer, and to be honest, I'm unsure about the answer I gave..may allah forgive me for having said something wrong :/. I don't know if you can or you can't...it seems as if you're not bothering the worshippers then you should be able to..but idle talk and things like that are disliked which is why I assumed studying worldly matters would be too. Wa allahu a'lem. I personally cannot give you a straight answer.
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by *charisma*
Walaikum Asalaam

As bro ardianto said, it's not permissible.
I'll take issue with that.

Originally Posted by *charisma*
You have to realize the mosque is a place of worship, away from secular activities.
I had no idea the pursuit of knowledge was a secular activity... I was under the impression that the pursuit of knowledge was recommended in Islam.

Originally Posted by *charisma*
People go there to retreat from the world and put their remembrance in Allah. If you are not there to worship Allah, then do not sit there because it's disrespectful. You can study in places around the mosque, perhaps go to a nearby coffee shop or sit in your car lol, or actually take the time and make dhikr if the time between the salaahs are that short.
That's one reason to go to a masjid.

There are many.

Such as, going to meet with your Muslim brothers and to have a halaqah about a social matter - are you sure you still want to promote ardianto's non islamic opinion?

Scimi
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by *charisma*
I've been trying to find an answer, and to be honest, I'm unsure about the answer I gave..may allah forgive me for having said something wrong :/. I don't know if you can or you can't...it seems as if you're not bothering the worshippers then you should be able to..but idle talk and things like that are disliked which is why I assumed studying worldly matters would be too. Wa allahu a'lem. I personally cannot give you a straight answer.
A masjid is a place of gathering, not just for the purpose of religious activity, but for social matters as well as matters of education, contemplation, planning and more.

We, as an Ummah need to recognise that Allah has given us masjids for not only our spiritual well being but also our more physical reality - and the issues pertaining to these.

For example, a Muslim wants to know if the scientific method employed by the west is actually practiced honestly? His interest being Science, and the his loyalty being Islam. In the modern age, they'd seem to be in direct conflict.

But the imam can educate the seeker in understanding that a Muslim academic named Ibn Hatyhm perfected Ptolemy's model and removed the shirk from it to form the scientific method we have today, which, when practiced in truth will bring one closer to Allah and increase ones imaan.

And then he can inform the seeker how, the scientific method practiced by atheist scientists is hugely flawed given the inductive fallacy they entertain.

Ie: the atheist scientist is not conerned with the WHY, but only the HOW...

...where else would the seeker go to have his understanding augmented like this? The crazy internet? :D

Scimi
Reply

*charisma*
12-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Not just that, but I just remembered that a local mosque would celebrate eid and people would gather together with their families, and eat etc. in the prayer rooms also there'd be noisy children around.. So in the process I'm sure these are "worldly things" that are allowed..studying I guess would be a lot less invasive to worshippers than carrying a celebration or noisy children..but allahu a'lem :D
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Did you know it's a sunnah to wrestle in a masjid? :)

But you have to be male :D

Scimi
Reply

ardianto
12-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Zeal
Also @*charisma* @ardianto what if my studies were deen related or with an intention that was 'islamic'/to please Allah SWT i.e: to earn enough to make hijrah, would that make a difference?
Actually masjid hall can be used for other Islamic activities that not salah, like learn Qur'an, Islamic lecture, Islamic discussion, etc. But require permission from the masjid caretaker. So if the masjid caretaker allow you to wait salah time while reading Islamic book inside masjid, it's okay. But if the masjid caretaker disallow, yeah, you must wait in the nearest place.
Reply

ardianto
12-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
are you sure you still want to promote ardianto's non islamic opinion?
Hey, hey, the OP wrote "Worldly stuff", so I thought it's about learn match or make business plan. Of course activities like that should be done outside the masjid hall.
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Hey, hey, the OP wrote "Worldly stuff", so I thought it's about learn match or make business plan. Of course activities like that should be done outside the masjid hall.
Well,

You can do worldly stuff in the masjid as long as its not haraam and isn't pragmatic (ie selling stuff for a profit)

Who told you otherwise?

Scimi
Reply

ardianto
12-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Well,

You can do worldly stuff in the masjid as long as its not haraam and isn't pragmatic (ie selling stuff for a profit)

Who told you otherwise?

Scimi
There is etiquette in masjid, bro. Typing your laptop to discuss on IB is not haram. But do not do it inside the masjid hall because it violates etiquette in masjid.
Reply

Scimitar
12-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
There is etiquette in masjid, bro. Typing your laptop to discuss on IB is not haram. But do not do it inside the masjid hall because it violates etiquette in masjid.
well,

bro... if the masjid has wifi :D

Bro, try and think a little before you post, jazakAllahu khair,

Scimi
Reply

farhan
12-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Well I actually saw long time ago a lecture where Shiekh encouraged us to to our studies and revisions in the Masjid. I will try and find link for it when I have time iA.
Reply

sister herb
12-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Couldn´t it be the best if you contact to imam of your local masjid and ask this matter from him? There might be several different practices and rules in the masjids.
Reply

Scimitar
12-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
Couldn´t it be the best if you contact to imam of your local masjid and ask this matter from him? There might be several different practices and rules in the masjids.
that's a good point

we're ready to assume all masjids are large and spacious with open courtyards... lol, well, not where I live :D

I remember going to pray Jummah on Berwick Street in Soho when I was working there decades ago. The masjid was simply a floor of an apartment above a shop that sold questionable goods.

Each friday, brothers would be so tightly packed in, that doing sujood meant being squashed into a sardine can... somehow, that actually felt really good. Like we were one body, in salaat.

Scimi
Reply

Zeal
12-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Sardine can hahahaha
Reply

Scimitar
12-12-2016, 05:02 PM
You should see Jorr in Jamaat time lol... it's a jungle packed into a can. Crazy. Snoring all night in dolby pro logic 3D stereo :D

Scimi
Reply

ardianto
12-13-2016, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
well,

bro... if the masjid has wifi :D

Bro, try and think a little before you post, jazakAllahu khair,

Scimi
Bro, better you think and ask yourself, is the masjid belong to you or not?. If yes, then you can do anything that you want in your own masjid. But if not, then is better you learn about etiquette as visitor.

:hmm:
Reply

Scimitar
12-13-2016, 06:19 AM
lol u mentioned using internet on laptops in a masjid bro lol... masjids with wifi, brilliant. :D

Scimi
Reply

Born_Believer
12-13-2016, 12:06 PM
I can't believe some on here are giving you bad advice. Of course you can study inside a mosque, as long as you keep your voice down and you're not interrupting anyone. It's sad that we live in a time where a mosque is simply a place to put your head on the ground 5 times a day, yet during the time of the Prophet PBUH and generations after, it was the political ,social ,educational and at times, medical center of the Muslim community.

I think someone here mentioned you revising/studying as a secular pursuit, I assume Muslims aren't allowed to gain knowledge according to them?

Dear brother, do not worry about such wayward opinions, if you find it comfortable and peaceful (as well as practical) to study at the mosque, do so. I have done so at ELM and some other mosques and prayer rooms in London.
Reply

ardianto
12-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Born_Believer
I can't believe some on here are giving you bad advice. Of course you can study inside a mosque, as long as you keep your voice down and you're not interrupting anyone. It's sad that we live in a time where a mosque is simply a place to put your head on the ground 5 times a day, yet during the time of the Prophet PBUH and generations after, it was the political ,social ,educational and at times, medical center of the Muslim community.

I think someone here mentioned you revising/studying as a secular pursuit, I assume Muslims aren't allowed to gain knowledge according to them?

Dear brother, do not worry about such wayward opinions, if you find it comfortable and peaceful (as well as practical) to study at the mosque, do so. I have done so at ELM and some other mosques and prayer rooms in London.
There is no prohibition for Muslims to learn math or making business plan in the prayer room in public mosque. But it should not become a habit, because the purpose of building the prayer room is for ibadah, like salah, dhikr, recite Qur'an. If Muslims start to spend most of their times in prayer room not for ibadah, then the prayer room in mosque will lost its main function as the room for ibadah.

I am not talking about the whole area of mosque, but only about prayer room, the sacred room in mosque.

It's okay, if a student do homework in prayer room in public mosque, if he cannot do it on other area in mosque due to some reasons like cold weather. But if he can do it in other area in mosque, then I very suggest him to use other area, like the masjid terrace. He must aware of the main function of the prayer room.
Reply

ardianto
12-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
lol u mentioned using internet on laptops in a masjid bro lol... masjids with wifi, brilliant. :D

Scimi
Masjid with wifi is common in Indonesia. And even 4000 masjid in Bandung city are/will installed with wifi. Unfortunately there are always st*pid people who use masjid wifi for chating with opposite gender in Facebook. That's why the city mayor ordered the masjid caretaker to watch wifi usage by masjid visitors.
Reply

Scimitar
12-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Masjid with wifi is common in Indonesia. And even 4000 masjid in Bandung city are/will installed with wifi. Unfortunately there are always st*pid people who use masjid wifi for chating with opposite gender in Facebook. That's why the city mayor ordered the masjid caretaker to watch wifi usage by masjid visitors.
Bro,

are you serious? I was being sarcastic about the wifi in masjids being a "brilliant" idea.

wifi in a masjid? for what purpose? :D

Scimi
Reply

ardianto
12-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Bro,

are you serious? I was being sarcastic about the wifi in masjids being a "brilliant" idea.

wifi in a masjid? for what purpose? :D

Scimi
I am serious, bro. Wifi is common facility in some masjid in Indonesia, to make the visitors can access internet when they are in masjid.

Indonesian urban people love to use internet. But they prefer to use free wifi when they are not at home to save the cost of their paid mobile device. That's why many public places like shopping centers, restaurants, or even parks in big cities, facilitated with free wifi to make the visitors feel at home.

If those places facilitated with wifi, why not masjid?. Isn't masjid a public place too?.

:)
Reply

Scimitar
12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
I am serious, bro. Wifi is common facility in some masjid in Indonesia, to make the visitors can access internet when they are in masjid.

Indonesian urban people love to use internet. But they prefer to use free wifi when they are not at home to save the cost of their paid mobile device. That's why many public places like shopping centers, restaurants, or even parks in big cities, facilitated with free wifi to make the visitors feel at home.

If those places facilitated with wifi, why not masjid?. Isn't masjid a public place too?.

:)
Bro,

first of all, installing wifi in a masjid is asking for trouble. It's not a shopping mall or a cafeteria where people waste time being social butterflies.

Secondly, comparing a masjid to a shopping mall is not right. Shopping malls are the modern day "bazaars" and our prophet pbuh warned us in ahadeeth about the fitans within bazaars.

Third, I see no reason for wifi to be installed inside of masjids - until and unless - the network engineers who set it up, can put a block on social media and other questionable sites which promote haraam. British schools have certain sites blocked so the students don't surf sites that are not conducive to their study.

Issue here is, from the sound of things - Indonesian masjids have not implemented this strategy.

So basically bro, wifi in masjids? load of rubbish designed to distract you away from why you are in that masjid in the first place.

Scimi
Reply

Born_Believer
12-13-2016, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
There is no prohibition for Muslims to learn math or making business plan in the prayer room in public mosque. But it should not become a habit, because the purpose of building the prayer room is for ibadah, like salah, dhikr, recite Qur'an. If Muslims start to spend most of their times in prayer room not for ibadah, then the prayer room in mosque will lost its main function as the room for ibadah.

I am not talking about the whole area of mosque, but only about prayer room, the sacred room in mosque.

It's okay, if a student do homework in prayer room in public mosque, if he cannot do it on other area in mosque due to some reasons like cold weather. But if he can do it in other area in mosque, then I very suggest him to use other area, like the masjid terrace. He must aware of the main function of the prayer room.
You still don't understand the point. A mosque isn't just for prayer, it's meant to be a community center.

Now, if someone turns up to the mosque to do revision but doesn't pray then that's a different discussion but that clearly isn't what the person here is describing.
Reply

hisnameiszzz
12-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Wresting in masjid? anyone?

I'm up for it

Scimi
Let me know when you are next up North. I will take you on! * just kidding *

I've seen fisticuffs take place in my Masjid. Old men battering each other with walking sticks too.

People gossip about worldly matters in the actual Masjid.

Heck, people bring their kids to have a run round and treat it as a creche whilst Mother sits in the car outside, lol.

Revising wouldn't cause anyone any problems would it?
Reply

ruglifeTX
12-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Did you know it's a sunnah to wrestle in a masjid? :)

But you have to be male :D

Scimi
Hahaha well then. Let's get ready to rumble lol
Reply

ruglifeTX
12-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
Let me know when you are next up North. I will take you on! * just kidding *

I've seen fisticuffs take place in my Masjid. Old men battering each other with walking sticks too.

People gossip about worldly matters in the actual Masjid.

Heck, people bring their kids to have a run round and treat it as a creche whilst Mother sits in the car outside, lol.

Revising wouldn't cause anyone any problems would it?
Hahaha yea my kids come with me a lot. It seems like dhuhr is always the time my youngest wants to nap. Our sheik has already laid him out a nap pillow to sleep at the back of the masjid hall while we pray. It's funny cause I was always so worried about my sons being rambunctious or sleeping or what not. They are really young . But the Imam and sheik both love them and always tell me" they are little boys having fun! They are learning just by being here." Now my oldest son has started praying with us on his own and my youngest sits in the back , naps or plays. Soon he will join us when he is ready.
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
05-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
wait... who said you can't study math or science texts in a masjid? :D

Doesn't the Qur'an encourage the reader to contemplate matters such as creation?

Would the imams not be able to clarify the position of Islam in relation to the scientific enquiry of such ayaat?

Who says you can't study other things in a masjid if they are beneficial?

What nonsense is this?

The masjid is a house of worship, and contemplating the creation in light of the Creator, is hugely beneficial in sterngthening imaan.

Scimi
Exactly, thats what i think. Also cool username
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
05-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by ruglifeTX
Hahaha yea my kids come with me a lot. It seems like dhuhr is always the time my youngest wants to nap. Our sheik has already laid him out a nap pillow to sleep at the back of the masjid hall while we pray. It's funny cause I was always so worried about my sons being rambunctious or sleeping or what not. They are really young . But the Imam and sheik both love them and always tell me" they are little boys having fun! They are learning just by being here." Now my oldest son has started praying with us on his own and my youngest sits in the back , naps or plays. Soon he will join us when he is ready.
Aww! Thats actually adorable, mashallah, may Allah swt bless you and your family :))
Reply

cinnamonrolls1
05-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Wresting in masjid? anyone?

I'm up for it

Scimi
wrestling? I know wrestling is sunnah right,,, but in a masjid? lol
also obviously wrestling is allowed, but to what kind?
As in WWE entertainment kind wrestling? Or like Olympics wrestling?
There are some muslims wrestlers in wwe at the moment (Sami zayn and Mustafa Ali). Is it halal to work for a company like wwe?
Sorry for all the questions, its just i used to be a big wwe fan until like 2 months ago lol
Reply

azc
05-14-2017, 02:19 PM
We shouldn't do worldly affairs in masjid...
Reply

Bobbyflay23
05-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Bro I read all the posts on the first page but not the second so idk if this was adviced but just read at the liabary area where there's copy's of sahih al bukhari and stuff because when you read bukhari that's not worship that's gaining Islamic knowledge and your study's will benifit the ummah and mankind so there's no problem reading over there
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-15-2018, 07:47 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2016, 02:30 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2016, 02:35 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 02:03 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!