/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would it be haraam to sit next to my non-muslim friends?

Aaqib
12-13-2016, 11:37 PM
I've read recently that you can't invite non muslims to your house to eat food with them for pure joy. So I ask this question in the hopes I get a legitimate answer.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aaqib
12-13-2016, 11:37 PM
I mean sit next to them to eat with them (lunch in school)

aamirsaab
12-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Sounds like complete bs to me. Invite whomever you wish.

islamirama
12-14-2016, 12:32 AM
You can sit with them to eat lunch. Islam doesn't forbid kindness towards others.

Inviting them to your house is a different issue. You have to think about the whole non-mahram in the house and privacy for the women of the house.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslim brother
12-16-2016, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaqib
I mean sit next to them to eat with them (lunch in school)
of course you can
and should
even if others dont

i still meet and talk to my old school friends when i see them and i left school in 1984

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
You can sit with them to eat lunch. Islam doesn't forbid kindness towards others.

Inviting them to your house is a different issue. You have to think about the whole non-mahram in the house and privacy for the women of the house.
when you're in your own house, you are among those considered mahram.

Scimi

noraina
12-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Of course it isn't haraam subhanAllah.

As long as you're not doing anything haraam there is nothing wrong with sitting with a friend who isn't Muslim or eating with them. As Muslims we should be welcoming and not 'closed-off' all the time, as long as we don't compromise our own values.

It reminds me of when I was once really struggling to find halal Turkish delights, and my non-Muslim friend once brought them for me. She had especially been searching for them and, well, I was quite chuffed. So there's one of the advantages :D.

Cherub786
12-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Hmmm...interesting question, but I'm afraid people have not given you a more nuanced answer.

In Islam, there are rules about purification and there is a concept about contamination through contact with that which is impure. As you know, the Holy Qur'an states that the Mushrikeen are impure, hence why they are forbidden from even approaching near to the sacred Mosque.

Our beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم instructed us to avoid the utensils that have been used by Jews, Christians and Magians. If we have no choice, then they have to be properly washed.

Now of course these days washing dishes that someone else has used is customary, and people usually eat from separate dishes.

However, sometimes people eat together from the same dish so you have to be careful.

aaj
12-16-2016, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
when you're in your own house, you are among those considered mahram.

Scimi
I believe he meant your friend being the non-mahram among your women if you invite him to your house.

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
I believe he meant your friend being the non-mahram among your women if you invite him to your house.
Ah I see. Understood.

Well, if she turns up with a mahram, then it's all good I guess. A woman turning up to a ghair mahrams house on her own, is kinda questionable.

Scimi

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cherub786
Hmmm...interesting question, but I'm afraid people have not given you a more nuanced answer.

In Islam, there are rules about purification and there is a concept about contamination through contact with that which is impure. As you know, the Holy Qur'an states that the Mushrikeen are impure, hence why they are forbidden from even approaching near to the sacred Mosque.

Our beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم instructed us to avoid the utensils that have been used by Jews, Christians and Magians. If we have no choice, then they have to be properly washed.

Now of course these days washing dishes that someone else has used is customary, and people usually eat from separate dishes.

However, sometimes people eat together from the same dish so you have to be careful.
Speaking of nuances, lol, you failed to consider the situation was of a ghair mahram entering a Muslims house. I'm sure the utensils will be washed before and after use lol.

Nuance. I don't think you know how to use that word.

Scimi

aaj
12-16-2016, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Ah I see. Understood.

Well, if she turns up with a mahram, then it's all good I guess. A woman turning up to a ghair mahrams house on her own, is kinda questionable.

Scimi
She who?

The OP is a male and mostly would have a male friend he wants to invite over. And since we are talking about non-mahrams, it stands to reason that invited friend would be a male.

Scimitar
12-16-2016, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
She who?

The OP is a male and mostly would have a male friend he wants to invite over. And since we are talking about non-mahrams, it stands to reason that invited friend would be a male.
Fair,

lol

I honestly thought I was in another thread I participated in,

As you were.

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.