/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reverts and adapting to a Muslim community.

phunkadelicfu
12-16-2016, 02:59 AM
I have a question for reverts, since you have converted to Islam, what has been the hardest thing to deal with as far as if you converted from a different religion and/or if your family accepted your new life style. Also has it been difficult to make long lasting friendships with those who were born into a Muslim faith? How does marriage happen if your a revert women/men if you want an arranged marriage? Sorry about all if the questions.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
eesa the kiwi
12-16-2016, 03:18 AM
My family reacted pretty badly but Alhamdulilah they soon saw a big change in me so while I wouldn't say they like Islam, they respect that it is good for me

If you give up something for the sake of Allah, Allah will give you something better, the things I left because of Islam I have recieved a far better life in return Alhamdulilah

BeTheChange
12-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Hello,

We have a section for New Muslims. If you are interested in learning about new Muslims experience and journey please visit the below link:

Please visit https://www.islamicboard.com/new-muslims/

phunkadelicfu
12-16-2016, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Hello,

We have a section for New Muslims. If you are interested in learning about new Muslims experience and journey please visit the below link:

Please visit https://www.islamicboard.com/new-muslims/
Thank you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
drac16
12-16-2016, 09:43 PM
The hardest thing for me has been giving up Heavy Metal music. It's a daily battle that I have to face-- and I'll probably have to fight that desire for the rest of my life. Before I reverted, I spent hundreds of dollars buying music. Music just has a way of being incredibly addictive, you know? other than that, it's hard for me to be the only muslim in my family because of celebrations. My family celebrates Christmas and I don't, so it feels kind of lonely at times.

Making friends was easy for me. A lot of the brothers at my mosque are very friendly. If someone is looking to get married, they should ask someone who works at a local mosque if there are people wanting to get married and you can get into contact with them.

ruglifeTX
12-17-2016, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by drac16
The hardest thing for me has been giving up Heavy Metal music. It's a daily battle that I have to face-- and I'll probably have to fight that desire for the rest of my life. Before I reverted, I spent hundreds of dollars buying music. Music just has a way of being incredibly addictive, you know? other than that, it's hard for me to be the only muslim in my family because of celebrations. My family celebrates Christmas and I don't, so it feels kind of lonely at times.

Making friends was easy for me. A lot of the brothers at my mosque are very friendly. If someone is looking to get married, they should ask someone who works at a local mosque if there are people wanting to get married and you can get into contact with them.
Music is a tough one for me too! Especially since two musicians got me into Islam. I came up playing in the hardcore and metal scene. Bands like racetraitor got me into Islam. So it has been a rough journey for sure . But I have made it to where I listen to a lot of lectures and scholars podcasts and different educational things. So it hasn't been as hard.

drac16
12-17-2016, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ruglifeTX
Music is a tough one for me too! Especially since two musicians got me into Islam. I came up playing in the hardcore and metal scene. Bands like racetraitor got me into Islam. So it has been a rough journey for sure . But I have made it to where I listen to a lot of lectures and scholars podcasts and different educational things. So it hasn't been as hard.
Alhamdulillah. I am a work in progress. May Allah make it easy for us.

Reminder
12-17-2016, 09:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by drac16

Hey bro, I am also from Ontario. Music has been hard to give up, that's for sure. Also in the same boat as far as celebrations. My family celebrates Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. Just know, you are not alone.

greenhill
02-10-2017, 12:39 PM
I don't know... you guys are great being able to give up like music like that!

I believe in moderation. Do not have music to the point of distraction, missing prayers and stuff. I still, listen to music almost on a daily basis maybe between half hour to an hour. I often recite stuff in the car or on the bike etc.. In other words, to have a 'balanced' life, in enjoying the dunya and also live for the hereafter.

:peace:

anatolian
02-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Listen to Islamic music then

azc
02-10-2017, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
I don't know... you guys are great being able to give up like music like that!I believe in moderation. Do not have music to the point of distraction, missing prayers and stuff. I still, listen to music almost on a daily basis maybe between half hour to an hour. I often recite stuff in the car or on the bike etc.. In other words, to have a 'balanced' life, in enjoying the dunya and also live for the hereafter.:peace:
you told the truth. It's not easy to confess.

azc
02-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Once I was a fond of music but now only once or twice in a month for less than 1 hour I listen some selected ghazals or old songs.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.