/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Syrian Refugees

hisnameiszzz
12-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Hi all,

I will soon be getting my own Syrian refugee family. It is part of a resettlement project at work. I will be helping them integrate into the UK lifestyle and assist them with sorting finances and budgeting and education and various other things.

I have shadowed one of my colleagues and have found that the Muslim community is doing absolutely NOTHING for them. The first families came to the UK a year ago and no one has reached out to them. I asked one of the families through an interpreter and they had only been to one Masjid for Iftari during Ramadhan because that Masjid had arranged for them to come over. I'm quite saddened with the fact that there are about 30 Masjids in this area and they have kept their distance from these poor people.

Unfortunately they have been rehoused in an area with no Masjids or Madressahs in the immediate neighbourhood. I shadowed with one of my colleagues and I have noticed that the Christian community is making a huge effort with them - they go to a get together party at the Church every week, some have even been given Bibles, all the little ones are getting Xmas presents and most of the families have Xmas trees in their houses. Now I am not here to cast aspersions on anyone and I am grateful that at least someone is making an effort with them so please do not shoot me down.

Could you please give me some inspiration on what I could do for them or with them Islamically? Bear in mind that work is meant to be about resettling them so anything I would do with them would be out of hours. I was thinking about taking the men to a Masjid but I do not speak Arabic and the interpreters only come if they are paid. I don't think I would be able to afford their rates. Perhaps I could ask an Imam to get involved because they would understand Arabic? What could I do for the females?

I was also thinking of giving all the families a Qura'an each and maybe some kitaabs for the young ones. Thinking to the future, I was thinking about getting all the little ones a present for Eid or maybe just giving each one some money. These are just thoughts at the moment and I would like some guidance please. Has anyone worked with refugee families?

I would have to clear it with work also as I am not meant to have contact with them out of hours but I could always say the Muslim community wants to get to know them.

I have loads of ideas going around in my head and I want to do so many things for these poor people. I was even going to ask the local Madressah if they wanted the children to come and see them and spend some time with them. I've wanted to post this topic for a week or two now but I have not had time and my ignorant neighbours are still ignorant and my head is all over the place, so please be patient with me.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your guidance and advice.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
12-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Salam alaykum

I have worked with refugee families before, in my job and also as volunteer. I mostly teached language but also helped them to understand how my society works. I helped them to fill applications, went with them to some offices, adviced how to use the bank account, go to doctor etc.

About language problem, do they speak any English? If not, here are always dictionaries how to explain some main matters word by word if needed. Asking help from imam is of course good idea how to get started.

islamirama
12-18-2016, 07:21 AM
:slm:

Please don't let language be a barrier between you and them. Take your cell phone a tablet. Use translate.google.com or something, find an online arabic -english dictionary. You don't need to speak full sentences. You can communicate with one word sentences, such as "food", "masjid", "halaqa", "introduce imama", "trip around town", etc.

Also, don't worry about interpreters. You are a Muslim (assuming from your profile), go to these masjids and talk to them yourself and give them dawaah about the importance of them reaching out to these refugees and the dangers of them loosing Islam to Christianity because the Christians were able to show better love and support than the Muslim community could. Remind them the sin is on all of the community if they neglect those Muslims and leave them in christian hands.

Also reach out the arab community, find young college students, brothers and sisters and talk to them. Set up a volunteer group of brothers and sisters who wouldn't mind visiting these refugees and helping them settle in by showing them ropes, or being big brother/sister to these kids. Women love to sit around and talk more than anything, have them try to set up visits to these families. I thought UK Muslims were all "islamic" or is that just for show?

Although some are genuine in helping others (mostly non-western christians), most show that fake love (as can be seen from handing out bibles) to win converts over. i posted a link before about fostering these refugee kids with all cost covered by the gov't. What are the Musilms doing there? Seems either they running to masjids or forums to show how islamic they are, or placarding cards "death to all" to show how extremists they are or secular dating type who spend thousands on renting high end cars to show off their haram proms.

hisnameiszzz
12-18-2016, 10:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
:slm:

Please don't let language be a barrier between you and them. Take your cell phone a tablet. Use translate.google.com or something, find an online arabic -english dictionary. You don't need to speak full sentences. You can communicate with one word sentences, such as "food", "masjid", "halaqa", "introduce imama", "trip around town", etc.

Haha, my colleague has already shown this to me. Google translate is something that she has used but the interpretation doesn't always make sense. I will give it a go. I know Madrasah means school and Mushkil means complicated. I am sure I will be able to learn. I also intend to make a scrapbook with phrases and words once I officially start.

Also, don't worry about interpreters. You are a Muslim (assuming from your profile), go to these masjids and talk to them yourself and give them dawaah about the importance of them reaching out to these refugees and the dangers of them loosing Islam to Christianity because the Christians were able to show better love and support than the Muslim community could. Remind them the sin is on all of the community if they neglect those Muslims and leave them in christian hands.

I was a Muslim and possibly still am. I've been having some rather infidel like thoughts for quite some time (look at my other topics and you will understand) - I digress, this is not about me. Regardless of how I feel about Islam personally, I think it's unfair that these people are being robbed of their faith simply because Muslims are too lazy to make an effort with them.

One of the Imams in my Masjid does a lot of "lip service" but has yet to do anything. He has mentioned heaps of times that the community should reach out to them but nothing has happened. I understand he is busy and he has a young family but why say things if you have no intentions of delivering on it?

What bothered me is that these people think they have to have Xmas trees and celebrate Xmas otherwise they will be made to go back!!!

Also reach out the arab community, find young college students, brothers and sisters and talk to them. Set up a volunteer group of brothers and sisters who wouldn't mind visiting these refugees and helping them settle in by showing them ropes, or being big brother/sister to these kids. Women love to sit around and talk more than anything, have them try to set up visits to these families. I thought UK Muslims were all "islamic" or is that just for show?

Don't worry about settling them in, we can do that through work - it's a very robust programme and the support is ongoing for 2 years. My only concern was for their faith. They feel they have to act and be like Christians or they will not be welcomed here. They have come here damaged and are extremely vulnerable and as you have mentioned are easy targets for exploitation.

I would like to think UK Muslims were Islamic but on this occasion, in my immediate area, they have failed miserably. The families have been here for a full year, 12 months, and only 1 Masjid has made an effort with them. Even one of my non Muslim colleagues was saying it would be better if they could be taken to more Mosques.

Although some are genuine in helping others (mostly non-western christians), most show that fake love (as can be seen from handing out bibles) to win converts over. i posted a link before about fostering these refugee kids with all cost covered by the gov't. What are the Musilms doing there? Seems either they running to masjids or forums to show how islamic they are, or placarding cards "death to all" to show how extremists they are or secular dating type who spend thousands on renting high end cars to show off their haram proms.

Thanks for your advice and insight. I guess my first aim would be to get an Aalim or Imam involved who is genuine and won't just give me "lip service". I doubt I will be able to take them to my immediate Masjid though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BeTheChange
12-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Asalamualykum,

I currently take Tajweed classes and my teachers are governed by Islamic Dawah Academy based in Leicester.

I would recommend getting in touch with this organisation and I am positive they will be able to help you insha Allah.

Please visit http://www.idauk.org/index.php/contact-us.html

I will try and get some brothers numbers as well in Leicester if I can insha Allah.

P.S If you do find a genuine project helping Syrian refugees please let me know and insha Allah i will try my best to help in any way i can.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.