/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reverts at Christmas time

khadija45
12-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Assalamu'alaikom, are there any other reverts that struggle at this time of the year? For me, it's not that I want to celebrate Christmas but having been rejected by my family, I feel a certain sense of loss particularly in holiday time :(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anatolian
12-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Maybe if you find some muslim friends they can help. We muslims must be like family members.

sister herb
12-23-2016, 09:40 PM
I can image the feeling. The Christmas time is very emotional holiday for many people and to reverts too, it´s easy to miss the feelings of the childhood´s times.

Born_Believer
12-23-2016, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khadija45
Assalamu'alaikom, are there any other reverts that struggle at this time of the year? For me, it's not that I want to celebrate Christmas but having been rejected by my family, I feel a certain sense of loss particularly in holiday time :(
I have no idea what you would be going through at this time but all I can say is, put your faith in Allah and keep on the right path. Maybe try giving your family a call? WHo knows they might also feel the same about you during this period and want to talk.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
drac16
12-24-2016, 05:49 AM
Wa alaykum salam

Yeah, I'm a revert whose family celebrates Christmas. I'm from Canada which is largely a secular nation, so a lot of people here celebrate Christmas. I feel like I'm the loneliest person ever. It's hard because everyone else is giving presents, singing Christmas carols and having fun, but I can't take part in it. That's life, though; Allah azza wa jal never said it would be easy to be a muslim, especially during the Holiday Season.

For me personally, I try to stay busy. I like to read books [like the Qur'an, of course] or watch stuff on Youtube.

Reminder
12-24-2016, 07:09 AM
Edit: In hindsight, this post may have been unwise. Brothers and sisters, to anyone who may read this, remember that when we backbite we should ask forgiveness directly to whom we did so.

Reminder
12-24-2016, 07:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by drac16
Wa alaykum salam

Yeah, I'm a revert whose family celebrates Christmas. I'm from Canada which is largely a secular nation, so a lot of people here celebrate Christmas. I feel like I'm the loneliest person ever. It's hard because everyone else is giving presents, singing Christmas carols and having fun, but I can't take part in it. That's life, though; Allah azza wa jal never said it would be easy to be a muslim, especially during the Holiday Season.

For me personally, I try to stay busy. I like to read books [like the Qur'an, of course] or watch stuff on Youtube.
Personally I love Christmas time as Christians have mostly lost their way, but are more in touch with God at this time, and so there is a more peaceful vibe.

khadija45
12-24-2016, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Reminder
Edit: In hindsight, this post may have been unwise. Brothers and sisters, to anyone who may read this, remember that when we backbite we should ask forgiveness directly to whom we did so.
Where is the backbiting in the post??

sister herb
12-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Where is the backbiting in the post??
I think he means his own post he just edited.

khadija45
12-24-2016, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I think he means his own post he just edited.
Ahhhhh, I was a bit confused [emoji23]

azc
12-24-2016, 06:19 PM
wa alaikum assalam sister, I can understand how it's painful for you to bear this behaviour ofyour own family where you got love and affection so far. Keep patience. May Allah swt keep you steadfast on deen. Ameen

khadija45
12-24-2016, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
wa alaikum assalam sister, I can understand how it's painful for you to bear this behaviour ofyour own family where you got love and affection so far. Keep patience. May Allah swt keep you steadfast on deen. Ameen
Ameen

ruglifeTX
12-24-2016, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
I have no idea what you would be going through at this time but all I can say is, put your faith in Allah and keep on the right path. Maybe try giving your family a call? WHo knows they might also feel the same about you during this period and want to talk.
I agree ! Even if your family is being hard on you about reverting it doesn't mean you can't reach out to them. My family eventually started asking me to come for dinner in their holidays. Not for me to take part in the tradition but to spend time with family. Eventually their love for you will out weigh their frustration or their inability to understand what you are going through .

khadija45
12-24-2016, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ruglifeTX
I agree ! Even if your family is being hard on you about reverting it doesn't mean you can't reach out to them. My family eventually started asking me to come for dinner in their holidays. Not for me to take part in the tradition but to spend time with family. Eventually their love for you will out weigh their frustration or their inability to understand what you are going through .
Thanks for your comment. It's not due to my reverting that I'm outside of the family unit. There was a lot of abuse in my childhood which has divided the family. I guess I'm a little stuck in nostalgia of the Christmas times that were good.

ruglifeTX
12-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Thanks for your comment. It's not due to my reverting that I'm outside of the family unit. There was a lot of abuse in my childhood which has divided the family. I guess I'm a little stuck in nostalgia of the Christmas times that were good.
I can understand that fully. But still same principle. They may have the same loss in the heart. You only know by trying

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.