/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it shirk to believe in dream interpretation?

Mustafa16
12-24-2016, 05:02 PM
title

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
12-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Why do you assume it shirk....?

Mustafa16
12-24-2016, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Why do you assume it shirk....?
because I read on Wikipedia that Wahhabis are against it.....and I think I read some fatwa on it a while back....but I'm not sure

ardianto
12-24-2016, 05:22 PM
It's depend on what this dream interpretation for. If only to interpret your psychological condition, in example, bad dream that you get is reflection of your anxiety, it's okay. But if the purpose of this dream interpretation is for predict the future, it can be shirk.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
12-24-2016, 05:45 PM
I don't think it may be the shirk however, it's possible that the interpretation is correct or not. Plz see this link....http://islamqa.org/hanafi/muftisays/10510

azc
12-24-2016, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
It's depend on what this dream interpretation for. If only to interpret your psychological condition, in example, bad dream that you get is reflection of your anxiety, it's okay. But if the purpose of this dream interpretation is for predict the future, it can be shirk.
then what is sense of interpretation of dreams...?

ardianto
12-24-2016, 06:41 PM
then what is sense of interpretation of dreams...?
The point of my previous post is do not interpret dream with purpose to know the future. In example, if you dream like this, it's mean you would become businessman, if you dream like that, you would marry a girl from ..... Interpreting dream with purpose to know the future basically is not different than fortune telling.

However, if for something that relate to the current situation, it's okay. In example, you got call from two companies. Then you perform salah istikarah, and make decision to choose which company that you should choose based on the dream that you get.

I understand if you and some Muslims disagree with me and believe that interpreting dream with purpose to know the future is okay. But what I have written above is the reason why there are Muslims who say that believe on dream interpretation of future may lead to shirk.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
12-24-2016, 08:35 PM
No, it's not Shirk. And, no one is more into dream interpretation than the ones people refer to as "Wahhaabis". That's a misnomer, by the way. There's no such thing as a "Wahhaabi".

Mustafa16
12-24-2016, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
No, it's not Shirk. And, no one is more into dream interpretation than the ones people refer to as "Wahhaabis". That's a misnomer, by the way. There's no such thing as a "Wahhaabi".
brother, are you a salafi or a deobandi? or neither? just curious....

azc
12-25-2016, 02:10 AM
The point of my previous post is do not interpret dream with purpose to know the future. In example, if you dream like this, it's mean you would become businessman, if you dream like that, you would marry a girl from ..... Interpreting dream with purpose to know the future basically is not different than fortune telling. However, if for something that relate to the current situation, it's okay. In example, you got call from two companies. Then you perform salah istikarah, and make decision to choose which company that you should choose based on the dream that you get. I understand if you and some Muslims disagree with me and believe that interpreting dream with purpose to know the future is okay. But what I have written above is the reason why there are Muslims who say that believe on dream interpretation of future may lead to shirk.
Comparisons between fortune telling/listening and dream interpreting/listening is wrong as the former is prohibited and latter is allowed and rulings on both the subjects are obvious. So Q remains on believing in interpretations leads to shirk or not. We know that Interpretation of dream is the sunnah of our prophet s.a.w then how a sunnah can lead to shirk...? However, only scholars learned in this science are allowed to take this onus.

ardianto
12-25-2016, 03:46 AM
Every dream can be interpreted. But my point is about using dream interpretation to read someone's future.

Future is secret of Allah. So we should not sure that we know what will happen in the future.

azc
12-25-2016, 04:52 AM
Every dream can be interpreted. But my point is about using dream interpretation to read someone's future. Future is secret of Allah. So we should not sure that we know what will happen in the future.
agree but it's Allah swt himself who wants to tell you something about your future through dreams... Isn't it..? Or what it makes sense of interpretation of dream by a learned scholar...? (Allah swt knows best)

fyi
12-25-2016, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
title
Don't listen to wahhabis. Keep yourself to the 4 maddhab. Don't get involved with anything further.

ardianto
12-25-2016, 02:21 PM
agree but it's Allah swt himself who wants to tell you something about your future through dreams... Isn't it..? Or what it makes sense of interpretation of dream by a learned scholar...? (Allah swt knows best)
The dream interpreter are human, and as human they are not free from mistake. So do not take what the dream interpreter say as the truth that definitely will be happen.

Okay bro, suppose, you tell your dream to a sheikh, then sheikh say "This dream meant, your spouse will come from east direction". If you just take what sheikh say as possibility that could be happen, it's okay. But if you believe that what sheikh say definitely would be happen, sorry, it's shirk.

So, although dream interpretation is allowed, we should not believe dream interpretation as truth that definitely will be happen. Like I have said, no one know what will happen in the future.

azc
12-25-2016, 02:54 PM
@ardianto : Sorry brother, you are not getting my point. I clarify it again: interpretation by a scholar may be correct or incorrect as well. Neither he tells you this will surely happen what has been interpreted nor do we assume as 100% it will happen as interpreted. The matter is simple, declaring it shirk is absolutely wrong. You are advised to refrain from calling any deed as shirk until it's proven by nas-qata'i (definitive evidence) from Quran and hadith. By your logic Hz sahaba ikram RA believed in what prophet s.a.w interpreted (don't say he is prophet s.a.w so they believed, the matter is believing in interpretation) And people like Imam bukhari ra or imam abu hanifa ra sought the interpretation of their dreams they saw, will fall in this category. Our prophet s.a.w asked us to consult pious scholars for interpretation of dreams. Can you expect that he (s.a.w) could injuct us what would lead us to shirk...?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.