PDA

View Full Version : Question about hadith last Jummah



Al Sultan
12-25-2016, 02:16 PM
:sl: Brothers and Sisters,

Last Friday prayers, I heard the Imam talk about the greatest Aya in the Quran, (Ayat'ul Qursi)

He mentioned a hadith, Reported by Abu Hurayra I think, in Saheeh Muslim (and Sahih Bukhari I think)

So this hadith was:

A man was coming to this Muslim, and he was asking him for money I think, (he was speaking in Fus-ha so I couldn't understand some of the words he was saying) and then the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) said that he was a liar,

He came back to this Muslim man 3 times and then at the last time, this man told him to read ayatul kursi once before going to sleep, now the Prophet (PBUH) said that he was truthful, but he's a devil.

I got confused, since when did devils read the Quran? and how come a Devil tells a MUSLIM man to do a righteous thing? can someone clarify this hadith for me? it could be that I couldn't understand him due to this Fus ha language, but other than that, does anyone know this Hadith?

Wa assalamo alikum wa rahmutillahi wa baraktuh
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
12-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Narrated: Abu HurairaAllah's Apostle (SAW) deputed me to keep Sadaqat (al-Fitr) of Ramadan. A comer (Satan) came and started taking handfuls of the foodstuff (of the Sadaqa) (stealthily). I took hold of him and said, "By Allah, I will take you to Allah's Apostle (SAW)." He said, "I am needy and have many dependents, and I am in great need." I released him, and in the morning Allah's Apostle (SAW) asked me, "What did your prisoner do yesterday?" I said, "O Allah's Apostle (SAW)! The person complained of being needy and of having many dependents, so, I pitied him and let him go." Allah's Apostle (SAW) said, "Indeed, he told you a lie and he will be coming again." I believed that he would show up again as Allah's Apostle (SAW) had told me that he would return. So, I waited for him watchfully. When he (showed up and) started stealing handfuls of foodstuff, I caught hold of him again and said, "I will definitely take you to Allah's Apostle (SAW). He said, "Leave me, for I am very needy and have many dependents. I promise I will not come back again." I pitied him and let him go. In the morning Allah's Apostle (SAW) asked me, "What did your prisoner do." I replied, "O Allah's Apostle (SAW)! He complained of his great need and of too many dependents, so I took pity on him and set him free." Allah's Apostle (SAW) said, "Verily, he told you a lie and he will return." I waited for him attentively for the third time, and when he (came and) started stealing handfuls of the foodstuff, I caught hold of him and said, "I will surely take you to Allah's Apostle (SAW) as it is the third time you promise not to return, yet you break your promise and come." He said, "(Forgive me and) I will teach you some words with which Allah will benefit you." I asked, "What are they?" He replied, "Whenever you go to bed, recite "Ayat-al-kursi" - 'Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-l-Haiy-ul Qaiyum' till you finish the whole verse. (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no satan will come near you till morning." So, I released him. In the morning, Allah's Apostle (SAW) asked, "What did your prisoner do yesterday?" I replied, "He claimed that he would teach me some words by which Allah will benefit me, so I let him go." Allah's Apostle (SAW) asked, "What are they?" I replied, "He said to me, 'Whenever you go to bed, recite Ayat-al-kursifrom the beginning to the end - Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-l-Haiy-ul-Qaiyum -.' He further said to me, '(If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no satan will come near you till morning.' (Abu Huraira or another sub-narrator) added that they (the companions) were very keen to do good deeds. The Prophet (SAW) said, "He really spoke the truth, although he is an absolute liar. Do you know whom you were talking to, these three nights, O Abu Huraira?" Abu Huraira said, "No." He said, "It was Satan." (Sahih Bukhari Chapter No: 39, Representation or Authorisation, Business by ProxyHadithno: 510)
Reply

azc
12-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Brother, we don't know what is the hikmah of Allah swt that he allowed Sahaytan to tell us the importance of ayat ul kursi. But for your question, let it be known that shaytan was the teacher of angels before he was expelled from heaven. Probably he has knowledge of Islamic teachings. (And Allah swt knows best)
Reply

Scimitar
12-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by azc
let it be known that shaytan was the teacher of angels before he was expelled from heaven. Probably he has knowledge of Islamic teachings. (And Allah swt knows best)
Source. Please. Coz this is the first i'm hearing of this iblis being a "teacher to angels" lol

Scimi
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Al Sultan
12-25-2016, 05:23 PM
But, Satan said he will misguide all of humanity, how come did he taught Abu Hurayra the greatest Aya in the Quran?....
Reply

Scimitar
12-25-2016, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Al Sultan
But, Satan said he will misguide all of humanity, how come did he taught Abu Hurayra the greatest Aya in the Quran?....
The man in question was a thief, and satan didn't want him to get caught - satan inspired to him words which he spoke, so Abu Hurairah would let him (the thief) go free.

Bargaining chip.

Scimi
Reply

Scimitar
12-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by azc
let it be known that shaytan was the teacher of angels before he was expelled from heaven.
Prove it,

Scimi
Reply

azc
12-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Source. Please. Coz this is the first i'm hearing of this iblis being a "teacher to angels" lolScimi
I read it in a book several years ago. Which one.?.. Will find out. Get back soon it InsahAllah
Reply

Scimitar
12-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by azc
I read it in a book several years ago. Which one.?.. Will find out. Get back soon it InsahAllah
In sha Allah, you will be able to answer the question.

Because you've left a massive hole here.

Scimi

EDIT: btw, I'm more than aware of the Shia belief that satan was the teacher of angels. It's a premise which collapses bigtime when we understand, the angels were created before the Jaan species.

Also, to understand the innate gifts each intelligent creation was given also helps us to understand that satan teaching angels is something which makes no sense, given that angels are naturally inclined to faith because that is the divine gift they were given from Allah.

Meanwhile the Jaan have Nafs.

And humans, have both, Imaan and Nafs.

Point being, when an intelligent creation of Allah is given faith as its' divine gift, such as the angels, without hindrance of ego (nafs), that creation (the angels) is naturally in obedience with God's will.

Whereas us humans, and the Jaan race - leave much to be desired in that sense. Jinn cannot teach angels.

In fact - it's the other way round. The messenger to the messengers was an angel, and his name is Gibreel AS.

Then he [the Prophet (s)] said, ‘O Umar, do you know who the questioner was?’ I said, ‘Allah and His Mesanger know best.’ He said, ‘It was [the angel] Gabriel who came to teach you your religion.’ (Recorded in Muslim)

So again, no matter what reference you pull, I know it won't stick.

The scholars are unanimous in this sense.

Scimi
Reply

Born_Believer
12-27-2016, 10:54 PM
I have heard this hadith before and heard/read an explanation a long time ago but I can not do it completely. I think it is because the thief so feared Allah's Messenger PBUH and thus Allah that he did not want to be brought to Prophet Muhammad PBUH and so, in his fear actually told a great truth. In fact, not just a great truth but something which is of benefit to all Muslims. What a great miracle of Allah.

It is similar to the story of Yajuj Majuj, who will only be let free from their walled occupation once they (great unbelievers as they are) utter the words "Inshallah".

Anyway, I will try and look up the explanation of the hadith again so don't quote me on what I've said.
Reply

azc
12-30-2016, 11:51 AM
@Scimitar : According to RasulAllah s.a.w the thief was shaytan
Reply

Scimitar
12-30-2016, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by azc
@Scimitar: According to RasulAllah s.a.w the thief was shaytan
According to context, the shaytan whispers into the hearts of men.

As for the thief being shaytaan :D bro, you do realise that shaytaan has no need to steal food, right? that many people all over the world sacrifice to him already? and have been doing so for millenia?

You look at things way too linearly, this is your issue bro.

I wish it was that simple - but sadly, life is nuanced, and strange occurances such as shaytaan among mankind, become even more nuanced as they are in the realm of the unseen.

Yet here you are, claiming a regular man saw satan in the flesh :D Only the Prophets and Messengers of God ever saw Satan in the flesh, such as Ibraheem pbuh, Isa pbuh etc

What you fail to realise is that the satan was tempting the man to steal so he would lose his faith. Thats satans game plan, surely you know this and can recognise the applied context of the narrative? No?

Prove to me you're not a linear minded layman.

Originally Posted by azc
I read it in a book several years ago. Which one.?.. Will find out. Get back soon it InsahAllah
Still waiting.

Scimi
Reply

azc
12-31-2016, 04:53 AM
@Scimitar :
You look at things way too linearly, this is your issue bro
no, rather I trust in what is written in scriptures and take as it is. It's safe for layman
I wish it was that simple - but sadly, life is nuanced, and strange occurances such as shaytaan among mankind, become even more nuanced as they are in the realm of the unseen
paranormal issues are trusted ;and don't need to be proven logically for a momin because of ''yu'mineeena bilghaib''
Yet here you are, claiming a regular man saw satan in the flesh
No, you are wrong. Abu Huraira :RA: wasn't a regular man like us. Don't you know our sahaba ikram RA saw Hz jibraeel a.s as well whom a coomonman can never see..?
What you fail to realise is that the satan was tempting the man to steal so he would lose his faith. Thats satans game plan, surely you know this and can recognise the applied context of the narrative? No?
is it an explanation by any muhaddis..? Or is it your own understanding..? bro, sometimes the content of hadith doesn't satisfy our mind, as in your case concerning this hadith is. Some people blame on Hz Abu Huraira :RA: of attributing false narration to prophet s.a.w and some people blame on imam bukhari ra of narrating fabricated ahadith. And this hadith is one of those ahadith which are badly criticised/refuted by others including orientalist.
Reply

Kiro
12-31-2016, 05:34 AM
@Huzaifah ibn Adam
Reply

Al Sultan
12-31-2016, 10:37 AM
Allah 3lek broooo (If you know what that means ) Lol.

I'm pretty sure he'll tell us that there's no such thing as "Satan the teacher of angels"
Reply

azc
12-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Al Sultan
But, Satan said he will misguide all of humanity, how come did he taught Abu Hurayra the greatest Aya in the Quran?....
either you accept the hadith as its or reject it as fabricated one. Hadith clearly mentioned the saying or prophet s.a.w that ''he was shaytan''.
Reply

Muhammad
12-31-2016, 04:39 PM
:wasalamex

We should be careful of describing any hadeeth as 'weird', especially if we know that it's found in a collection such as Saheeh Al-Bukhari. As we venerate the verses of the Qur'an, so too must we venerate the teachings of the Prophet :saws:. The Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them all) taught us how we must seek knowledge with humility and submission to whatever Allaah :swt: has taught us.

The fact that a devil may have some knowledge of Islam is not surprising. Shaytan knows about Allaah :swt:. Consider the following verse, which mentions what shaytan said when he saw the angels in the Battle of Badr:

And [remember] when Satan made their deeds pleasing to them and said, "No one can overcome you today from among the people, and indeed, I am your protector." But when the two armies sighted each other, he turned on his heels and said, "Indeed, I am disassociated from you. Indeed, I see what you do not see; indeed I fear Allah . And Allah is severe in penalty." [Al-Anfal: 48]

Some of the Jinn even came and listened to the Qur'an (see Qur'an 46:29).

So Abu Hurairah checked what he had heard with the Prophet :saws: who verified the truth.

Let's not get into an argument over the details of the hadeeth.
Reply

Born_Believer
12-31-2016, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Muhammad
:wasalamex

We should be careful of describing any hadeeth as 'weird', especially if we know that it's found in a collection such as Saheeh Al-Bukhari. As we venerate the verses of the Qur'an, so too must we venerate the teachings of the Prophet :saws:. The Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them all) taught us how we must seek knowledge with humility and submission to whatever Allaah :swt: has taught us.

The fact that a devil may have some knowledge of Islam is not surprising. Shaytan knows about Allaah :swt:. Consider the following verse, which mentions what shaytan said when he saw the angels in the Battle of Badr:

And [remember] when Satan made their deeds pleasing to them and said, "No one can overcome you today from among the people, and indeed, I am your protector." But when the two armies sighted each other, he turned on his heels and said, "Indeed, I am disassociated from you. Indeed, I see what you do not see; indeed I fear Allah . And Allah is severe in penalty." [Al-Anfal: 48]

Some of the Jinn even came and listened to the Qur'an (see Qur'an 46:29).

So Abu Hurairah checked what he had heard with the Prophet :saws: who verified the truth.

Let's not get into an argument over the details of the hadeeth.
Agreed entirely. I feel the argument by a certain poster on this thread, nit picking is problematic. We know what the hadith is saying. Porphet Muhammad PBUH said it was shaytan so we know it was shaytan, end of discussion.

However, it is important to understand the explanation of the hadith because each hadith is teaching us something and I still can't find what the explanation was. Why did Shaytan teach something useful to the sahabah?

I remember hearin an explanation a long time ago and posted it earlier so it would be great if someone could confirm it.

Either way, even through Shaytans fear of Allah, we came away with a benefit from his mischief.
Reply

Al Sultan
01-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Brothers, I am not saying it's fabricated, I misunderstood it and I want someone to explain it, still, I don't see any reason why Satan taught a Muslim a good thing, while his main mission is to misguide us.


The only way to understand this, is Scimitar's explanation, he saved him by telling This Muslim something beneficial so the stealer can get away.
Reply

Abu Musab
01-02-2017, 05:08 PM
That was Iblees himself, not a man that Shaytaan was speaking through.
Reply

Abu Musab
01-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by azc
Brother, we don't know what is the hikmah of Allah swt that he allowed Sahaytan to tell us the importance of ayat ul kursi. But for your question, let it be known that shaytan was the teacher of angels before he was expelled from heaven. Probably he has knowledge of Islamic teachings. (And Allah swt knows best)
Iblees had knowledge, but he was never a teacher of the angels. That is a jewish belief, and yes I know in which books it appears, but it is all baseless.
Reply

azc
01-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Abu Musab
Iblees had knowledge, but he was never a teacher of the angels. That is a jewish belief, and yes I know in which books it appears, but it is all baseless.
assalamu alaikum, shaykh, :jz:
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
01-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Muhammad
:wasalamex

We should be careful of describing any hadeeth as 'weird', especially if we know that it's found in a collection such as Saheeh Al-Bukhari.
Definitely. That's why, it's a good idea for one of the moderators to edit the title of the thread and remove that word.
Reply

Al Sultan
01-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Assalamo alikum Brothers.

If you understood what I meant by 'weird', then you'll get the picture.

I called it weird, because i don't understand how Satan taught something so benefical to a muslim, Satan's object is to misguide us all, why come and guide us and tell us read Ayat-ul- Kursi every night before we sleep?

Sorry if one of you got offended, i called it weird because of Satan, guiding someone to something benefical,
That's all.

Wa assalamo alikum
Reply

Huzaifah ibn Adam
01-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Al Sultan
Assalamo alikum Brothers.

If you understood what I meant by 'weird', then you'll get the picture.

I called it weird, because i don't understand how Satan taught something so benefical to a muslim, Satan's object is to misguide us all, why come and guide us and tell us read Ayat-ul- Kursi every night before we sleep?

Sorry if one of you got offended, i called it weird because of Satan, guiding someone to something benefical,
That's all.

Wa assalamo alikum
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Yes, I understand what you meant by it, but the thing is, that particular word shouldn't be used when referring to a Hadeeth. I'm sure you understand and also want the title changed.
Reply

Al Sultan
01-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Actually, I don't even know why I called the Hadith 'weird'
It's Satan's action that was weird, may Allah forgive of my mistake.

Is there a way to change the Thread's title?

'Weird action by Satan in Sahih Hadith'
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 03:58 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 02:40 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 04:18 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!