/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is potential political conflict at masjids a possibility?

Mustafa16
12-25-2016, 08:00 PM
I told you all about how I didn't wanna go to a masjid because there were Turkish people there who believed my jamaat was behind the failed coup in Turkey...im trying to find comfort in the idea that discussing politics in any masjid is a bad idea, because there are potential political and sectarian conflicts in any masjids, such as between Pakistanis and Bengalis, Moroccans and Algerians, Pakistanis and Indians, members of one jamaat and members of another, etc....is my situation not uncommon, and so should that be a reason for me to go to the masjid I have been avoiding ad simply avoid talk on politics, and stay away from tribalism and sectarianism? will that solve all problems?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ruglifeTX
12-26-2016, 02:40 AM
Where do you live man? I have never seen this kind of hostility at a masjid you speak of. I practically live at my masjid cause I'm always doing different programs there or trying to fix things up . I have never ever ever seen huge conflicts or anything of the sort. Our masjid is very diverse as well. Plus how would you even bring up these types of conversations ? After jumah or after salat? Maybe at an event or something : the thing is none of this stuff should even be your concern on how other people feel politically at your masjid. I have seen a bunch of your post that make me feel like you are yearning to be noticed. Maybe I am wrong but brother you have so much potential ! You can do so much with your life. Educate yourself , practice and teach others . You have a chance to do something most of us older guys don't. Break the chain.

ruglifeTX
12-26-2016, 02:41 AM
And don't think I don't feel for your situation cause I do. I know how it feels to be the outsider. I am tattooed from my face to my toes. I'm a big white dude . But one thing I found out is the only reason I was alone is cause I was scared of what others might think of me. Once I broke that wall down and showed these brothers love they showed it ten fold to me.

MuslimInshallah
12-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Mustafa,

Mmm... (sigh) in my experience such politicking and ethnic divisions are very common (I live in Canada). I think perhaps it is because new people coming into the country (rather naturally) want to connect with others they feel comfortable with. But some take it to an unislamic level, and can be a bit dogmatic and exclusionary. Especially if there are conflicts between different source countries (such as India and Pakistan). Inshallah, as the born/raised-in-Canada Muslims become more present (a rapidly growing demographic here), these tensions may subside over time. I don't know about the US, but perhaps there are similar issues in your country? Maybe you could look around for a masjid where there are more American-born/raised members/leaders?

May God, the One, Help us find the beauty of unity.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ruglifeTX
12-26-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm in the US and I don't ever experience that cause we make the masjid about Islam. At least here in Texas. We have enough political crap in our lives day in and day out. The masjid is supposed to be about remembering Allah . Don't let other agendas come to head. I seriously think you need to get into your studies or find a hobby. Get your mind busy so you won't worry about things that don't matter

ruglifeTX
12-26-2016, 03:20 PM
And since you are in the United States I have no problem giving you my number brother and help you! I hate to see someone struggle but I also want you to take an effort to keep out of issues that will only bring your heart more struggle.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.