/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Red m&ms

noraina
01-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

So I just discovered that m&ms aren't halal, at least the red ones aren't as they contain carmine - I was a little horrified because I absolutely adore m&ms and I could (and have) eaten bucketfuls of them as I assumed they'd just be halal, which is of course a mistake I'll learn from.

Anyway, I was discussing this a sister I know. As it is only the red ones which are not halal, would it be okay to just not eat the red ones and eat the other colours, or is it better to just not eat them altogether?

I was thinking there would be an issue about contamination, even if it is a dry food.

I'm just trying not to count right now the number of red m&ms I have eaten in my life :(.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
01-11-2017, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Assalamu alaykum,

So I just discovered that m&ms aren't halal, at least the red ones aren't as they contain carmine - I was a little horrified because I absolutely adore m&ms and I could (and have) eaten bucketfuls of them as I assumed they'd just be halal, which is of course a mistake I'll learn from.

Anyway, I was discussing this a sister I know. As it is only the red ones which are not halal, would it be okay to just not eat the red ones and eat the other colours, or is it better to just not eat them altogether?

I was thinking there would be an issue about contamination, even if it is a dry food.

I'm just trying not to count right now the number of red m&ms I have eaten in my life :(.
I'm unsure about picking out the non-red ones, but I'd assume that if it's haram to consume, then it's haram to buy in the first place. You wouldn't want to support a product that uses haram ingredients, and I think if you really love their product, you should let them know that you will no longer buy it because it's not halal nor suitable for vegetarians due to the carmine so that they'll know this is an issue that they should resolve.

I remember a longggg time ago, I used to love starbursts candy. They used to use gelatin in them and when I found out I stopped eating them and let everyone around me know ;D (they hated me for it) so after quite a few years of not consuming them I just recently found out that it's now suitable for vegans. Companies can change their ingredients, especially if it's something as simple as a color. But when they choose not to make it suitable for everyone then we have to make the choice not to consume their products until they make those changes.

Scimitar
01-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Honestly, I have no idea why adults eat baby food.

Scimi

*charisma*
01-11-2017, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Honestly, I have no idea why adults eat baby food.

Scimi
*Women

We love sweets. One day when you get married to a good woman inshallah, a box of chocolates, icecream, or cake will do wonders ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
01-11-2017, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
*Women

We love sweets. One day when you get married to a good woman inshallah, a box of chocolates, icecream, or cake will do wonders ;D
in sha Allah I'll get chocolate covered khajoor :D and of course, Ice Cream... we're never too old for ice cream lol

Scimi

*charisma*
01-11-2017, 02:48 PM
in sha Allah I'll get chocolate covered khajoor :D and of course, Ice Cream... we're never too old for ice cream lol

Scimi
Sukkary khajoors (dates right?) omg...on ice cream...topped with whipped cream and walnuts..no no pecans...and a light drizzle of toffee..and maybe some fudge.

..and no harm in having date cake on the side. Just a slither though, no one wants to go overboard here.

Scimitar
01-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Those red m&m's are feeling kinda alone now. The new kids on the block (modern confectionary) cannot compete with tried and tested timeless classics like khujoor. Best part is, khujoor is good for us and it's sunnah whereas chocolate is chocolate - processed pathetic, having said that, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like chocomel and marabou. Lol

noraina
01-11-2017, 03:33 PM
:jz: for the replies, I did throw away the packet of m&ms I was eating just this morning - none of them felt right anymore even after I did take out the red ones (and ain't nobody got time to do that anyway, lol).

@Scimitar , women love that type of baby food which is brown and filled with hideous amounts of sugar and e-colours in brightly coloured packaging - it's like so much more cost-effective than diamonds and yet it gives equal pleasure :D. You can't beat that.

But chocolate-covered khujoors are nice. I really love those khudri dates, I should start buying them more regularly - they'll fill that empty space left by the m&ms.

noraina
01-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Sukkary khajoors (dates right?) omg...on ice cream...topped with whipped cream and walnuts..no no pecans...and a light drizzle of toffee..and maybe some fudge.

..and no harm in having date cake on the side. Just a slither though, no one wants to go overboard here.

That would like a piece of poetry - dessert heaven.

Altho a slither of date cake is not enough - it needs to be a huge mountain-sized plate of cake.

Scimitar
01-11-2017, 03:40 PM
You could just make your own:

enjoy, responsibly :D

Scimi

noraina
01-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Also, just to point out, whenever you are buying foods such as yoghurts or sweets or juices, and they are shades of pink, orange, red or purple, definitely check the ingredients for carmine or E120 - basically a form of beetle which is crushed to create certain colours.

It can also be in cosmetics - definitely check inshaAllah.

Just can't believe how I was eating those m&ms, I'm like chronically obsessed with label-reading and yet I have no idea why I didn't even bother to read the packaging of that chocolate which is almost always in the kitchen cupboards. Astaghfirullah, honestly. :hmm:

Zeal
01-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Mnm's were my favourites too:(

noraina
01-11-2017, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal
Mnm's were my favourites too:(
I know, but khayr. It isn't so bad as it seems.

There are plenty of chocolate brands out there which are halal (including Cadbury's, thank goodness) and it won't take long to find a new favourite inshaAllah.

Or, maybe even go for chocolate-covered khajoors, which seem to be a new trend I've discovered here. Stuffed with pistachios and hazelnuts. And with ice cream.

M.I.A.
01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
i phoned them up. lady said they cant guarantee the other colours are free from the haram red colour.

...although recently skittles are suitable for vegetarians.

always check the packet.

no more mnm milkshakes.

*charisma*
01-11-2017, 05:31 PM
That would like a piece of poetry - dessert heaven.

Altho a slither of date cake is not enough - it needs to be a huge mountain-sized plate of cake.
I'm not trying to get diabetes here ;D I'm too old now..my metabolism will fail me. But you youngins go on and have all the sweets you want before it's too late. :cry:

For the record, more than any other dessert, I'm in love with frozen yogurt (nonflavored) with some berries and a drizzle of honey and pistachio butter.

..and speculoos cookies for dipping in my milk tea. :statisfie

Scimitar
01-11-2017, 05:41 PM
..and speculoos cookies for dipping in my milk tea. :statisfie
I still haven't gotten used to the idea of having tea without chocolate digestives.

Oh,

and dunking them to the point of collapse and trying to catch the biscuit in your mouth before it falls into the tea cup lol.

I'm becoming quite the expert now :D

Scimi

*charisma*
01-11-2017, 05:45 PM
I still haven't gotten used to the idea of having tea without chocolate digestives.

Oh,

and dunking them to the point of collapse and trying to catch the biscuit in your mouth before it falls into the tea cup lol.

Scimi
I wish you didn't remind me. There's a brand of digestive biscuits called McVities..I assume you have it there..has chocolate on one side. I'm not allowed to get those anymore. :cry: Absolutely no self control with those.

Scimitar
01-11-2017, 05:47 PM
McVities...
...I used to get those, but I prefer a cheaper lesser known brand now lol.

Scimi

*charisma*
01-11-2017, 05:50 PM
...I used to get those, but I prefer a cheaper lesser known brand now lol.

Scimi
There's cheaper brands?! :Emoji34::Emoji34::Emoji34:

We only have that one.

Scimi you're going to be the reason of my downfall if I ever come to UK. Thanks.

sister herb
01-11-2017, 06:19 PM

Oh,

Scimi
Chocolate cookies with tea???? What are you people? British maybe? Sounds very extraordinary to me to mix words chocolate and tea.

Coffee it has to be. A big mug of hot coffee and then you dip your chocolate cookies to there. Be normal. Be Finnish.

:lol:

*charisma*
01-11-2017, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Chocolate cookies with tea???? What are you people? British maybe? Sounds very extraordinary to me to mix words chocolate and tea.

Coffee it has to be. A big mug of hot coffee and then you dip your chocolate cookies to there. Be normal. Be Finnish.

:lol:
Noooo, it has to be milk tea..like chai or karak. Otherwise regular cookies with tea like butter cookies...But coffee with cookies is not bad either.

Scimitar
01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Coffee is for dunking shortbread biscuits :)

Scimi

sister herb
01-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Coffee is for dunking shortbread biscuits :)

Scimi
Senseless. You are giving me some chills here. I have to go now to have the extra dose of coffee and chocolate cookies.

noraina
01-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Meh. I don't like either coffee or tea. I don't like soggy biscuits either, because they remind me of biscuits which have been left out too long. :D Crunchy biscuits all the way.

And gosh I love McVities digestives, perhaps it's good thing they always seem to be sold out by the time I come. :(

keiv
01-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Last time I checked, a lot of the mainstream chocolate brands have a lot of additives and unknowns in their ingredients which is why I've tried avoiding them, but there are plenty of (safe) options to choose from in regards to chocolate. There are a lot of chocolates that have simple / natural ingredients and are way better than m&ms. Go for chocolate covered (peanuts, raisins, walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc). Those types of chocolates usually ​have good ingrediants in them, but always check regardless.

Cptn._.Mario
01-12-2017, 06:24 PM
I wish you didn't remind me. There's a brand of digestive biscuits called McVities..I assume you have it there..has chocolate on one side. I'm not allowed to get those anymore. :cry: Absolutely no self control with those.
I know of those!! Hahaha

Cptn._.Mario
01-12-2017, 06:25 PM
I didn't know mnms aren't halal. :(

Zeal
01-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Eminem's

Serinity
01-12-2017, 08:32 PM
:salam:

I LOVE Hazelnut chocolates. They taste soo good! especially because it feels so crunchy when eating.

Back in the day, I made my own muffins. you can make your own chocolate bars. Lol. Just use Youtube for that. One better check the ingredients tho.

The E-numbers are hard to keep track of.

Allahu alam.

noraina
01-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

I've had it almost up to here with those E-colours - I'd never have known if I hadn't by coincidence just accidentally come across that online.

I love making muffins and brownies - and probably the best thing (apart from taste) is the security of knowing it is completely and utterly halal, alhamdulillah.

Smarties are okay as a replacement I suppose, they're brightly coloured and round little chocolates, so they'll do.

Zeal
01-28-2017, 07:59 AM
In the mean-time someone should email mnm's to make a vegetarian version

Umm♥Layth
01-28-2017, 12:18 PM
My favorite used to be peanut butter M&M's, I used to inhale those lol.

As you probably already know, most processed foods contains some very bad additives that are harmful to the body (like fire retardants and antifreeze to name a couple). I'd argue their halalness to be honest. Just because the FDA (or similar entities) approve these "foods" for consumption, doesn't make them good for you. If I were you, I'd drop all of the M&M's. Once you let go of these things for a prolonged period of time, your taste buds will adjust.

In our home, we don't eat anything out of packages, hubby and I are very firm on this. If we feel like chocolate, I make a very yummy chocolate sauce made with butter, coconut oil, cream and honey (or stevia). We drizzle it over fruit or I put it in little molds and fridge it.

There are better, healthier and more beneficial ways to enjoy a sweet :)

Umm♥Layth
01-28-2017, 12:19 PM
*and of course, cocoa in the chocolate sauce lol

Ineed Umar
01-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Umm why is carmine Haram? Sorry for this stupid question.

noraina
01-28-2017, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ineed Umar
Umm why is carmine Haram? Sorry for this stupid question.
I didn't know myself either until recently.

It's haraam because it is a red pigment produced from a certain type of insect, Cochineal - basically it's not vegetarian or halal as it is an insect.

Hayaa8
01-28-2017, 08:03 PM
As Salam alaikum

I think it's an going to the extremes
To call candy Haram

Eat the candy

Don't pressure yourself over a bite of chocolate

Salam alaikum

Umm♥Layth
01-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Wait, but insects are not haraam unless you follow hanafi. Insects do not have blood and many of them are a good protein source, like crickets. People have eaten these for millennia. The great scholars have debated this topic and Malaki scholars are in agreement that they are halal so long as they are dead. Also, Imam al Nawawi allowed the eating of ants.

I personally would be questioning other ingredients and their permissibility. The general consensus is that whatever harms the body is not permissible, yet people are eating carcinogens (and smoking them) left and right... I would eat bugs (if served in a palatable way LOL). How about some chocolate chirp cookies? :D

aminah996
01-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Also, just to point out, whenever you are buying foods such as yoghurts or sweets or juices, and they are shades of pink, orange, red or purple, definitely check the ingredients for carmine or E120 - basically a form of beetle which is crushed to create certain colours.

It can also be in cosmetics - definitely check inshaAllah.

Just can't believe how I was eating those m&ms, I'm like chronically obsessed with label-reading and yet I have no idea why I didn't even bother to read the packaging of that chocolate which is almost always in the kitchen cupboards. Astaghfirullah, honestly. :hmm:
Ahhhh man I loved m&ms [emoji28] damn

noraina
01-29-2017, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm♥Layth
Wait, but insects are not haraam unless you follow hanafi. Insects do not have blood and many of them are a good protein source, like crickets. People have eaten these for millennia. The great scholars have debated this topic and Malaki scholars are in agreement that they are halal so long as they are dead. Also, Imam al Nawawi allowed the eating of ants.

I personally would be questioning other ingredients and their permissibility. The general consensus is that whatever harms the body is not permissible, yet people are eating carcinogens (and smoking them) left and right... I would eat bugs (if served in a palatable way LOL). How about some chocolate chirp cookies? :D
Ohhhh, so there's a difference of opinion on this?

I'll take that into account whenever I'm discussing this with someone, always good to know and respect any ikhtilaf on an issue.

I think I'll personally avoid eating any creepy crawlies lol, 99.9% of my community are hanafi so I've always been told they're haraam. And besides I'm not a bug person, I know locusts are halal but I can't imagine myself eating one.

And you can keep all those chocolate chirp cookies to yourself, thank you very much :D

YahyaAE
01-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Ugh... the one thing I really hated about living in the UK when I did, was the whole halal thing. Constantly checking labels for ingredients etc. It was a strain. Now I'm home in the UAE, I am just checking if stuff is gluten free and how many calories there are. ;D

M.I.A.
01-30-2017, 08:02 PM
wow learn something new everyday...

maybe should start selling m&m's again.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.