/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared of leaving the Gulen movement, but want to....

Mustafa16
01-12-2017, 03:04 AM
as many of you may be aware, my family is a part of the Gulen movement. I am angry at the Gulen movement's treatment of me, as they have kicked me out of many of their activities, the former lead imam and many others hate me, among other reasons...let me tell you the reasons...
1) when it was the summer after 7th grade, I was at one of the religious camps....this was back in 2012.....everybody was fighting each other, and my best friend was being bullied.....I tried my best to defend him....when it was finally time to leave, some guy lost his iPhone, and they said we would have to stay to look for it....when I asked how long it would take, they said, "maximum 1 week" I lied and said I threw the iPhone in the lake....they eventually found out I was lying.....they banned me from all camps, from all mentorship (or, in Turkish, "abilere gitmek")
2) I had a crush on the imam's daughter, and when he yelled at me for talking to him about her too much, I insulted him on social media, feeling hurt how harshly he yelled at me....
3) issues with talking to children because I can not relate to my peers, issues with girls because it is easy to violate gender segregation because there are open areas....and one boy my age threatened me over the phone when I told him over facebook his sister looked "cute" (she was 6 for goodness's sakes....I didn't mean it in a romantic way...)
I also have an issue with gulenists like my father and a family friend being suspicious of all non gulenist Islamic sects....fearing they'll be extreme....
I want to leave, but the only things keeping me are 1) most of my family friends are gulenist and 2) it will be more difficult for me to get married....
what should I do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
01-12-2017, 08:27 AM
You should stop thinking such matters too much and focus to your own life, specially to studing. The Gulenist movement as well all Islamic sects works well also without you. Give yourself some time free from every kind of movements and if someone asks why you aren´t active, tell to them you have to attend to your studies.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.