/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca in Islam

Ibrahimz
01-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Assalamu Alakum Wa Rahmatulah Wa Barakatuh

I have a question - what is the Islamic view of Rebecca? -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca

Here's the Wikipedia on her but seems to reference Jewish/Biblical sources. How do we acknowledge the 3 Matriarchs of Ibrahim (peace be upon him) in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
01-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

That's an interesting question, and I'm honestly not sure. It looks like her Arabic name is written as 'Rebekah', but otherwise she doesn't seem to be mentioned a great deal apart from in the context of being the wife of the Prophet Ishaq (as).

This is from the Stories of the Prophets by ibn Kathir - altho he does use the sources from the 'People of the Book' (basically Jewish and Christian sources) so I don't know if there is actually any direct mention of her in Islamic sources.

http://www.islamawareness.net/Prophets/ishaq.html

Ibrahimz
01-19-2017, 06:40 AM
Assalamu Alakum Wa Rahmatulah Wa Barakatuh Noraina, thank you. Another question if you know - how do scholars validate Christian/Jewish sources when making sure they are sound within Islam? Also, do we not acknowledge Magi sources (Zoroasterism) - they are specifically mentioned in the Qu'ran Translation that I have been reading? Thank you again :-)

Ibrahimz
01-19-2017, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibrahimz
Assalamu Alakum Wa Rahmatulah Wa Barakatuh Noraina, thank you. Another question if you know - how do scholars validate Christian/Jewish sources when making sure they are sound within Islam? Also, do we not acknowledge Magi sources (Zoroasterism) - they are specifically mentioned in the Qu'ran Translation that I have been reading? Thank you again :-)
The ending was a statement not a question - sorry for the typo.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
01-19-2017, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibrahimz
Assalamu Alakum Wa Rahmatulah Wa Barakatuh

I have a question - what is the Islamic view of Rebecca? -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca

Here's the Wikipedia on her but seems to reference Jewish/Biblical sources. How do we acknowledge the 3 Matriarchs of Ibrahim (peace be upon him) in Islam?
How?

Good question.

How many women are mentioned by name in the Qur'an?

Only one.

Mariam, the mother of Isa Alaihis salaam.

Rebecca has no bearing on your ability to arrive at the truth of Allah and His prophet Muhammad pbuh.

Rebecca was the wife of Isaac Alaihis salaam, and the mother of Jacob Alaihis salaam.

Does the mother of Musa Alaihis salaam get a mention in the Qur'an?

Does the mother of Muhammad pbuh get a mention in the Qur'an?

And because they were not mentioned, does it mean they did not exist?

Of course it doesn't.

Hope this opens up a train of thought for you in sha Allah

Scimi

anatolian
01-19-2017, 06:01 PM
There is a special position of her in Torah as being the daughter, daughter in law, wife, mother and grandmother of Prophets. Also mentioned as a very beautiful woman.

Sabeel Shah
02-01-2017, 12:02 PM
aoa i want to ask what is rebecca in islam ? plz tel me in detail thankx.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.