/* */

PDA

View Full Version : very confused and lost

Perplexed
01-12-2017, 08:42 PM
I am sorry if this is too abstract, or if it doesn't belong here. I also apologise in advance if I offend anybody, it's not my intention.

I'm feeling very confused and lost and don't know where to turn.

I was raised pagan and became Christian while I was in University. Then around 3 years ago or so I started to seriously research Islam, and I converted last year - but I think I did it too soon and wasn't ready and I didn't even practice properly nor did I fully believe because I still wasn't sure of the role/nature/personality of Muhammad or how Jesus fit in.

I have been studying different things lately and it's got me so confused.

The main thing that most things use to say "Islam is more accurate than Christianity" is that the bible is corrupt and the Quran isn't. However recent research has shown both to be equally accurate, (within 2% for both with the only difference being grammar) with the dead sea scrolls confirming the old testament and several verses from the new testament. the New testament was also written within 80 years of the life/death of Jesus and with several witnesses to the conversations that occurred still alive. This means that if it was a misunderstanding it would have been quickly shut down. Surely that means we must either accept his claims or reject them (as well as denounce him as a heratic/madman) Although the bible has been translated it is never a translation from a translation and is always a translation from the original.

I have read both the Quran and the Bible but I'm at an impass. I know only one of them can be telling the truth, but I can't figure out my stance. Using logic and psychology alone I'd say Christianity was the correct path (and that perhaps the prophesies given to Muhammad were from another entity altogether and that's how both fully believed they had the truth and both were known for truthfulness and faith) but my heart is still reaching out to the mosque and prayers and hijab.... I feel stuck between the two and unable to fully move in either direction and its making me feel very spiritually stuck.

I'm not sure if anybody would have input on this or know where I should check for answers, or if anybody encountered similar.

again I'm sorry if any of this is improper....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Serinity
01-12-2017, 08:56 PM
know this, Allah is one, Alone and has no partners, Truth comes only from Allah, Guidance comes only from Allah. And that only Allah has knowledge of the Future.

The Prophet Muhammad :saw: prophecised about the Future, the knowledge of which came from Allah. Because who except Allah knows the Future? No one except whom Allah wills.

Ps. All Prophets :as: called to monotheism and worshipping Allah alone. That is the message. If you are confused then call upon Allah, cause only Allah can guide you. NO one else can.

Know that Allah is not like any one or anything. Nothing is Like Allah. In shaa' Allah you will be guided. If you are sincere, then don't fear and ask Allah to open your heart to His religion.

M.I.A.
01-12-2017, 09:03 PM
the quran still refers to jews and christians as people of the book.

and at this point you would say as an opposing argument that it actually refers to the historical jews and christians.

..my only counter is its mentioning of jews and how it says that the jews claim to be jews, but MOST of them are not.

it implies that the corruption is in part at least..

in the practice of religion and monothiesm.

although thats literally just my opinion..

and my knowledge is so badly paraphrased that its probably in the wrong context.. if at all accurate.

take a look around.

edit..

question,

do muslims take into account the psalms and what is the opinion on their validity?

*charisma*
01-12-2017, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perplexed
I have read both the Quran and the Bible but I'm at an impass. I know only one of them can be telling the truth, but I can't figure out my stance. Using logic and psychology alone I'd say Christianity was the correct path (and that perhaps the prophesies given to Muhammad were from another entity altogether and that's how both fully believed they had the truth and both were known for truthfulness and faith) but my heart is still reaching out to the mosque and prayers and hijab.... I feel stuck between the two and unable to fully move in either direction and its making me feel very spiritually stuck.
Can you elaborate on what is more logical to you in christianity vs Islam?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm Malik
01-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Thank you sister for sharing this with us
And alhamdulillah you can ask Allah
You know who is ? He is the Lord which we all belive in in Christianity and Judaism so we belive in the same god just they belive that the prophet Jesus is his son and we don't agree at this point
Ask him to guide you to the truth
if you just keep on hear the Quran by a concentration heart you will be sure that this the truth for sure
May Allah help you sister
Just keep asking Allah more and more and learn both of the bible and the Quran
And at the end you will make sure that this is the truth
I just want you to wait before you left it and ask him because we do believe in the same god and we accept him and worship him we just not agree about Jesus to be the god or his son
may Allah guide you sister

Reminder
01-13-2017, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perplexed
I am sorry if this is too abstract, or if it doesn't belong here. I also apologise in advance if I offend anybody, it's not my intention.

I'm feeling very confused and lost and don't know where to turn.

I was raised pagan and became Christian while I was in University. Then around 3 years ago or so I started to seriously research Islam, and I converted last year - but I think I did it too soon and wasn't ready and I didn't even practice properly nor did I fully believe because I still wasn't sure of the role/nature/personality of Muhammad or how Jesus fit in.

I have been studying different things lately and it's got me so confused.

The main thing that most things use to say "Islam is more accurate than Christianity" is that the bible is corrupt and the Quran isn't. However recent research has shown both to be equally accurate, (within 2% for both with the only difference being grammar) with the dead sea scrolls confirming the old testament and several verses from the new testament. the New testament was also written within 80 years of the life/death of Jesus and with several witnesses to the conversations that occurred still alive. This means that if it was a misunderstanding it would have been quickly shut down. Surely that means we must either accept his claims or reject them (as well as denounce him as a heratic/madman) Although the bible has been translated it is never a translation from a translation and is always a translation from the original.

I'm not sure if anybody would have input on this or know where I should check for answers, or if anybody encountered similar.

again I'm sorry if any of this is improper....
I know how you feel. I was raised in an Atheist/Christian household. I literally knew NOTHING about Islam. I knew essentially nothing about Islam before "converting". It was only a few years after I really started to understand. I don't consider the first time I "converted" as true conversion. In fact, the word conversion by definition implies an ongoing process. It doesn't happen in the blink of an eye!

My advice to you - SLOW DOWN - DO NOT make every little mistake into a big deal. Just chill out. Live like you did before (only don't eat pork, no sex out of marriage). The only difference is instead of Christianity, you side with Islam now.

ONE GOD CREATES ALL RELIGIONS. So really it just comes down to which "team" you want to be on.

Do you get what I am saying?

If you think Islam is right, join this team. If you think Christianity is right, join that one instead. Same goes for Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.

But don't forget - SLOW DOWN.

DO NOT LISTEN TO NON-CONVERTS (UNLESS THEY ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT US).

They tell you to immediately start praying 5 times per day, and after a month you quit because it is extremely difficult since you were not raised like this and you don't understand how to structure your life around it or why it is important.

Prayer is essentially like meditation - a 10 minute break from the stresses of life. It is a beautiful thing. However, it is not easy for someone like you or I who has been raised in a non-Muslim family to just start praying 5+ times a day during work, etc. When you grow up as a Muslim watching your mother, father siblings and friends doing it and your life revolves around it already, it is easier.

Personally, I decided to pray once per day. This way I am consistently worshipping, but not pushing myself too hard. I am not saying this is what you should do - you must decide for yourself. Next year I will start 2 per day, inshallah.

DO NOT READ THE END OF THE BOOK (end times prophecy) BEFORE THE BEGINNING!

Converting to Islam has been a psychological nightmare at times for me. People give you so much information left-and-right, and you are scared to even do 1 thing wrong otherwise it feels like your life is a complete failure. With that said, I have had tons of amazing experiences as well (especially recently).

I strongly recommend you slow down and do what is easy for you. It is better to start slow and gradually increase than start too fast and gradually decrease.

Don't forget ONE GOD creates ALL religions. The question is - which team are you on?

I SUGGEST YOU PRAY ISTIKHARA:
https://islamqa.info/en/2217

greenhill
01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I would agree with everything Reminder has said above except that it was Satan that caused the split in religion (by Allah's leave). The reason why Jesus (pbuh) was rejected by the Jewish clerics. Jesus clearly said that he was there for the 'lost sheep of Israel'(?) as they had strayed. They were supposed to follow Jesus' guidance, instead others did (and those from amongst the Jews that believed the message). But the clerics rejected him.

Similar thing happened again with Muhammad (pbuh), but this time, the Christian clerics and the Jewish clerics rejected him.

There was a story of a time when the Christian clerics wanted to verify the truth and sought the Jewish clerics where they were given questions to ask the prophet (pbuh). Should he answer them, he would be the truth and accepted as the messenger. He did answer them, of course (there is another story there) but, bottom line, the Jews still rejected him, hence the Christians followed suit. We still have 3 religion of the Books.

Allah did not create the different religions, people did.

(edit)

Not many people make the connection.

Psalms - about what we call tauheed in islam - Praises and prayers for the Allah
Torah - is about human interaction - do unto others what you expect other to do unto you..
Bible - introduces forgiveness
Quran - How to live in a community.

The Books were prepared to be sent in stages as humans 'grew' in mind and spirit.

You cannot stop at any point along the way because then you would not have the complete message.

The tampering of the Books previously is like the subtle changes found between the earlier version and the newer versions of lines where what was used to say about the prediction of the arrival of Muhammad (pbuh) the word "he" would be changed to "they" so the meaning is totally lost and it takes them further away from the truth… Sentences that would describe the coming of a prophet is replaced by something else (that can be totally fabricated)..

So, as you say, there is only 2% change, the implications are far more sever...

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

lawasus
01-13-2017, 12:18 PM
What is Islam ?

The Arabic word ‘Islam’ simply means ‘submission’, and derives from a word meaning ‘peace’. In a religious context it means complete submission to the will of God. ‘Mohammedanism’ is thus a misnomer because it suggests that Muslims worship Muhammad rather than God. ‘Allah’ is the Arabic name for God, which is used by Arab Muslims and Christians alike.

Islam is not a new religion, but the same truth that God revealed through all His prophets to every people. For a fifth of the world’s population, Islam is both a religion and a complete way of life. Muslims follow a religion of peace, mercy, and forgiveness, and the majority have nothing to do with the extremely grave events which have come to be associated with their faith.

What do Muslims believe?

Muslims believe in One, Unique, Incomparable God; in the Angels created by Him; in the prophets through whom His revelations were brought to mankind; in the Day of Judgement and individual accountability for actions; in God’s complete authority over human destiny and in life after death. Muslims believe in a chain of prophets starting with Adam and including Noah, Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Job, Moses, Aaron, David, Solomon, Elias, Jonah, John the Baptist, and Jesus, peace be upon them. But God’s final message to man, a reconfirmation of the eternal message and a summing-up of all that has gone before was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad through Gabriel.

Good brother
01-13-2017, 12:55 PM
The Arab idolaters of the past used to claim that the angels were God’s daughters, while Christ-wrshippers made the same claim for Jesus. The whole universe shudders as such false claims are alleged, because monotheism is inherent in the nature of the whole universe.

They say: ‘The Most Merciful has taken to Himself a son!’ Indeed you have said a most monstrous falsehood, at which the heavens might be rent into fragments, and the earth be split asunder, and the mountains fall down in ruins! That people should ascribe a son to the Most Merciful, although it is inconceivable that the Most Merciful should take to Himself son. (Maryam, ayat 88-92)​

The very sound of these ayat and their rhythm add to the air of anger at this false claim. In fact the whole universe rejects this claim most vehemently. It shudders and quivers with abhorrence as it hears this falsehood against God Almighty. It is a reaction similar to that of a person who feels that his very integrity is attacked, or that the honesty of someone he loves is assailed. The shudder is common to the heavens, the earth and the mountains. In their beat, the words here show the movement of a violent quake.

You have to read this:
The True Message of Jesus Christ
http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/truejesus.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.