/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New to the board, new to Islam

muslimahzoya
01-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Assalamu Alaikum! I only recently converted to Islam (mashallah) and am trying to learn as much as I can. It's a lot to take in! I am married with three children, my husband is not Muslim, but I have hope he will convert, inshallah.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
01-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Alhamdulillah, welcome to this forum and most importantly to Islam my sister, may Allah swt keep us all firm upon His religion. Ameen!

It can seem like a lot to take in, but honestly Islam is such a wonderful religion, it feels like such a natural and intimate way of life once you start understanding :).

May Allah swt guide your husband to the deen as soon as possible. Is he interested in Islam already, and is considering reverting?

muslimahzoya
01-13-2017, 02:33 PM
No, my husband isn't very interested, and is upset that I decided to revert. He is culturally Jewish, but his family did not practice, nor is he religious. I guess you could say he's a Jewish agnostic? I am hoping that Allah swt will open his eyes to the peace and positive changes I already see happening in my life since I took the Shahadah, inshallah.

I am just learning how to wear hijab, and am very nervous about wearing it outside of the home (I live in a very conservative southern Christian town in Texas-- they do not like Muslims here). Do you have any advice about dealing with anxiety of beginning to wear hijab out in the world?

Umm Abed
01-13-2017, 03:07 PM
Wa alaikum salam!

Its so good to see people from all walks of life and from different, remote parts of the world, are accepting Islam, that is just great news. And to see what new reverts go through everyday just to practise their deen, its really something to behold - their rank is increased by Allah swt and rewards multiplied many times.

To work around your hijab dilemma, Id suggest wearing a broad rimmed hat over your hijab to make yourself less conspicuous. Hope that suggestion works.:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimahzoya
01-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Many thanks! I'll try the wide-brimmed hat suggestion-- with spring and summer approaching, that won't seem too conspicuous. I appreciate the tip!

Umm Abed
01-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Im glad that helped, and you may choose any colour because modesty is the main issue here, and your safety is important.

muslimahzoya
01-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank you, sister! Jazakum Allah Khayran

sister herb
01-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Welcome to forum new sister!

And welcome to Islam too.

noraina
01-13-2017, 03:55 PM
I live in a town with a very small Muslim population, and even fewer women wear the hijab. It can be a little nerve-wracking, but as time goes on you'll feel more and more comfortable.

As Umm Abed said, usually wearing a wide-brimmed sunhat (in the summer) or a woollen hat (for the winter) will make your hijab that much less conspicuous, and inshaAllah you'd feel more secure - I actually did that. You can wear whatever you like, as long as it is loose and not transparent or too eye-catching.

And as for your husband, this is probably very new to him. Perhaps you could first point out the similarities between Judaism and Islam (we can help you with that) and just gently introduce him to the main beliefs of Islam, without making him feel like he is being forced. And yes if he sees the positive impact Islam has had upon you (alhamdulillah) it may just turn him onto that path.

May Allah swt make everything easy for your sister, and reward you abundantly for your commitment to the deen.

sister herb
01-13-2017, 04:44 PM
I searched images as "hijab with hat" and some ideas looked very elegant. Maybe I too will buy a hat... :p

greenhill
01-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the forum and the deen.

Perhaps you could share with us your journey into discovering the deen.

In the meantime, wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

abuahmed
01-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Assalam Alaykum Sister, I am happy for you that ALLAh SWT has guided you to the light of Islam. Regarding learning, ALLAH knows best but I think it is better to emphasize on beleifs, IMANE and TAWHEED, in other words what the SHAHADA profoundly means and implies, other Deeds will come easily and slowly. May Allah helps you and all of us to face these difficulties.

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Welcome to the forum and the deen.

Perhaps you could share with us your journey into discovering the deen.

In the meantime, wishing you a great stay.

:peace:
I was raised Catholic but later became an atheist. During that time, I became friends with another woman from a homeschool group so belong to, whom is Muslim. We had several very lively but good natured debates, but gradually my curiosity about Islam began to grow. I asked her what brought her to Islam (she is a revert as well) and it just kind of went back and forth like that. I asked questions, she answered them, also offering lots of helpful links to lectures. I started reading the Quran. Shortly after the New Year, I quietly took the Shahadah. I just told my friend this morning (she's been ill) and she said it was the best possible news she could wake up to.

It was a combination of reading and studying Islam, and learning from my friend's graceful and devout behavior that brought me to the Deen.

I found this forum quite by accident. I was taking a social media break but still needed to reach out and speak with my brothers and sisters. I'm glad to be here.

noraina
01-14-2017, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimahzoya
I was raised Catholic but later became an atheist. During that time, I became friends with another woman from a homeschool group so belong to, whom is Muslim. We had several very lively but good natured debates, but gradually my curiosity about Islam began to grow. I asked her what brought her to Islam (she is a revert as well) and it just kind of went back and forth like that. I asked questions, she answered them, also offering lots of helpful links to lectures. I started reading the Quran. Shortly after the New Year, I quietly took the Shahadah. I just told my friend this morning (she's been ill) and she said it was the best possible news she could wake up to.

It was a combination of reading and studying Islam, and learning from my friend's graceful and devout behavior that brought me to the Deen.

I found this forum quite by accident. I was taking a social media break but still needed to reach out and speak with my brothers and sisters. I'm glad to be here.
Ma'sha'Allah, we're so glad to have you here as well sister.

Do you home-educate (or home-school as those in the US say ;)) your children?

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Ma'sha'Allah, we're so glad to have you here as well sister.

Do you home-educate (or home-school as those in the US say ;)) your children?
I did, but found that it was adversely affecting my eldest child, whom is on the autism spectrum. He thrives on the social aspect of school, and it's really helped him to grow up.

My youngest two, I am still educating at home, but will likely also send them to a brick and mortar school when they each turn six.

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 03:15 PM
It was fun, and he learned a lot, but being homeschooled kept him very isolated and just wasn't a good fit for him.

noraina
01-14-2017, 03:20 PM
I did, but found that it was adversely affecting my eldest child, whom is on the autism spectrum. He thrives on the social aspect of school, and it's really helped him to grow up.

My youngest two, I am still educating at home, but will likely also send them to a brick and mortar school when they each turn six.
Yes, it's very individually based on each child.

I am - or was, lol - home-educated by my mother from age 10 onwards. I just finished high school last year and loved the experience.

muslimahzoya
01-14-2017, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Yes, it's very individually based on each child.

I am - or was, lol - home-educated by my mother from age 10 onwards. I just finished high school last year and loved the experience.
Did you? Maybe we can give it a try again in a few years. I loved having them all home with me, but I am just SO tired and desperately want to go back to school myself. I have about 2 1/2 years left towards my degree. I'd like to finish while I'm still in my early 30's!

Finding MEMO
02-08-2017, 02:12 AM
Assalamu Alaikum! I only recently converted to Islam (mashallah) and am trying to learn as much as I can. It's a lot to take in! I am married with three children, my husband is not Muslim, but I have hope he will convert, inshallah.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Wa Alaikum Assalam

Love the revert stories they are absolutely my favourite. Alhumdulilah your amazing, may Allah swt ease your journey Ameen.

muslimahzoya
02-12-2017, 08:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Finding MEMO
Wa Alaikum Assalam

Love the revert stories they are absolutely my favourite. Alhumdulilah your amazing, may Allah swt ease your journey Ameen.
Many thanks!

Scimitar
02-12-2017, 01:49 PM
I guess you could say he's a Jewish agnostic?
So is Lesley Hazleton, and she gave a TED-X on "a Tourist reads the Qur'an" which is actually quite endearing for a Muslim to hear coming from an Agnostic Jewish lady.

It may give your husband some perspective in sha Allah, or at least introduce him to Islam from a position he also shares given the speaker is also agnostic Jew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2Or0LlO6g

Scimi

azc
02-12-2017, 04:15 PM
:wa: sister, welcome to islamicboard family. Plz feel free to share your views.

Rifqah
02-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Salami aleikum wrwb sister, I'm also a recent convert November just gone. It's so nice to read other peoples' stories and to know you're not alone. Sometimes it can feel pretty isolating.

May Allah (swt) make these next weeks and months easy for you and guide your husband to the straight path. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.