/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Making Janazah salah for the Prophets, Permisable or not?

whosebob
01-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Read the following Fatwa and make up your own mind about making Janazah salaah for the Prophets.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.
First of all, it should be clear that the prayer upon the dead is ultimately a supplication and mercy which benefits the demised as well as those still alive. Therefore, Muslims should not miss the great reward of offering Janazah. The funeral prayer is a collective obligation or fard kifayah for men. Also, it is permissible to pray Janazah in absentia.

In response to the question in point, the European Council for Fatwa and Research issued the following Fatwa:

All scholars agree that Janazah prayer is to be performed upon a present dead person and that the coffin is to be laid before the imam and the Muslims present. This was supported by the statements, actions and approvals of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). As for praying upon a dead person who is absent, this is affirmed by virtue of a number of famous authentic Hadiths such as that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) offered janazah prayer upon an-Najashi (King of Abyssinia) when he died.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Today a good man has died in the land of Abyssinia, so stand up and pray upon him.” Jabir ibn `Abdillah said: “We then stood in lines and the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) offered janazah prayer upon him with us standing behind in lines.” (Muslim, Abu Dawud, At-Tirmithi, An-Nasa’i and Ibn Majah)

In another narration, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) stated: “A brother of yours has died, so stand up and pray upon him.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

The prayer upon the dead is ultimately a supplication and mercy which benefits the demised as well as those still alive, and that is the reason for the Prophet praying upon an-Najashi. This agrees with the view of the Shafi`i and Hanbali Schools. It is wrong to say that the Prophet offered janazah prayer upon an-Najashi because no one else did so, because the hadiths do not state that no one offered janazah prayer upon him. Indeed the hadiths clearly stated that the reason for the prayer was that he was a good man.

It is also correct to pray upon someone who had already been prayed upon. In an authentic hadith, Yazid Ibn Thabit, the brother of Zaid, narrated: We went with the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) and when we passed by al-Baqi’ (the graveyard), we saw a new grave had been dug and someone had been buried. The Prophet asked who it was. He was told: a Muslim woman called so and so.The Prophet recognized her and said: “Why did you not tell me about her death?” They said: “O Messenger of Allah, you were resting and fasting and we did not wish to trouble you.” He (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Do not repeat this again. If anyone dies while I am among you, you must tell me, because my prayer upon them is mercy.” He then approached the grave and we lined behind him and then he made four takbirs (i.e. he performed Janazah prayer).

Thus, Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) repeated the prayer upon a Muslim woman after she had been prayed upon and buried.

In short, it is our view that it is permissible to pray Janazah in absentia unless it becomes an unbroken habit, which then deems it unacceptable. This is because the Muslim Ummah never offered janazah prayer upon each and every absent person who had passed away; rather they did it when the person was of a certain status and respect in the eyes of the Muslims, such as an-Najashi, who supported and protected the Muslims, and the black woman who used to clean the Mosque of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) is reported to have said: There was a black woman who used to clean the mosque. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once noticed that she was absent and asked about her. He was told that she had died. He (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Why did you not tell me?” They responded in a way which conveyed that she was of little importance. The Prophet Muhammad said: “Show me her grave,” and he offered janazah prayer upon her. He (peace and blessings be upon him) then said: “These graves are full of darkness upon those who inhabit them and Allah enlightens them by virtue of my prayer upon them.”(Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Finally, we wish to remind all the brothers and sisters that this remains a controversial matter, and thus we should refrain from criticizing anyone who wishes to choose one view or another.

The only difference is time, which does'nt really matter at all if you think about it properly inshallah. So tell me what you think, does it make sense?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
01-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Salah janazah of those died at other place can be performed again or not is a disputed issue. Most important aspect of this matter is, whether or not salah janazah have already been prayed or not..?

greenhill
01-19-2017, 10:48 AM
The examples given are of people passing away during the lifetime of the prophet pbuh, meaning people we know or in this respect, the people the prophet pbuh knew who passed away.

It does not refer to people passing away before the time of the prophet pbuh. Meaning the prophet did not offer prayers for people before his time. So, the question remains unanswered, is it permissible?

:peace:

aaj
01-19-2017, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
The examples given are of people passing away during the lifetime of the prophet pbuh, meaning people we know or in this respect, the people the prophet pbuh knew who passed away.

It does not refer to people passing away before the time of the prophet pbuh. Meaning the prophet did not offer prayers for people before his time. So, the question remains unanswered, is it permissible?

Janazah is to be prayed over the believers. How can you pray over those are not believers? Before his time were the non-believers. And if he didn't do it then on what basis is it permissible?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
01-19-2017, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
Janazah is to be prayed over the believers. How can you pray over those are not believers? Before his time were the non-believers. And if he didn't do it then on what basis is it permissible?
Nabis were all believers. The Title is talking about 'making salah janazah for the prophets'.

aaj
01-19-2017, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Nabis were all believers. The Title is talking about 'making salah janazah for the prophets'.

I see it rather irrelevant. Those Nabis died in their time and those among them prayed the ritual prayers then and there. I think its important to keep things in perspective. If one is interested in praying janazah in absentia then those suffering in the world should have more right to it. How many Rohingyas have been slaughtered and buried or burned to dust and no janazah has been prayed over them? and the same goes for other Muslims in other parts of the world.

azc
01-19-2017, 05:52 PM
he is not saying about non believers at all

greenhill
01-19-2017, 10:24 PM
I see it rather irrelevant. Those Nabis died in their time and those among them prayed the ritual prayers then and there. I think its important to keep things in perspective. If one is interested in praying janazah in absentia then those suffering in the world should have more right to it. How many Rohingyas have been slaughtered and buried or burned to dust and no janazah has been prayed over them? and the same goes for other Muslims in other parts of the world.
I think we have your answer to the OP here. You see it rather irrelevant.….

Personally, I don't think of it as irrelevant, but from the examples given in the OP, I see that our prophet prayed for those who had lived in his time, not those who had lived before.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.