/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why does women, in western countries, outnumber men in reverting to Islam?

abuahmed
02-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Assalamu Alaykum, praying Allah you are all in the best of EMANE, TAQWAH and health,
According to some statistics women outnumber men in reverting to Islam.
In your opinion, and in case such statistics seem correct, what are the reasons behind this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
02-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

It's true, especially in the UK women vastly outnumber men in terms of reverting to Islam, and so many reasons have been given for this via studies.

A general point, is that many psychological studies show that women *generally* are more spiritual than men, they are more likely to be drawn to religious beliefs or search for meaning in their lives than men. It may just be that women are more likely to sole-search and find their way to Islam through this natural inclination

And, something I have heard many revert sisters say, is that they are drawn to the role of women within Islam and the dignity it gives to them. In Western societies, women are often objectified by the media and by society in terms of how they should dress or behave - there is a huge emphasis on a spiritually empty, materialistic and individualistic consumerism, and most often these societies give little value to a women in her role as a wife and mother.

Within Islam there are so many guidelines it puts in place to protect a woman's modesty and it gives her a unique value which doesn't require her to lose her femininity to get respect and status. Even as someone who was born into Islam, it's beautiful the respect women are given in our deen alhamdulillah, especially compared to other lifestyles. When we look at the way the Prophet :saws: treated his wives and daughters and the female Companions in general, it really encompasses the role of women in Islam. :)

drac16
02-08-2017, 10:18 PM
I think it's because they're tired of being judged based on their bodies -- and they prefer to be known based on their character. In Islam, men and women are on the same level.

Serinity
02-08-2017, 10:29 PM
:salam:

Because Islam talks to their concience, and Fitrah. Women are not created to be toys of men, or property of men. They are free from that.

A woman in Islam has dignity. Many want a boy as a child. Majority of women are not physically as strong as men, therefore people value males more.

In Islam, having a daughter is a blessing, being a mother is a huge thing and respected. Whatever role a woman has, it is dignified in Islam.

generally, you will not find, anywhere else, where women are as much respected, as in Islam.

Allahu alam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Futuwwa
02-09-2017, 05:26 AM
It would be interesting to compare that number to the sex ratio of conversions to other religions.

sister herb
02-09-2017, 07:02 AM
That´s a good point. Also, what´s that ratio between men and women with new ideologies, other than religious ones.

Throughout history, women have been more active to embrace new cultures, new ways of thinking and acting.

Ummshareef
02-09-2017, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Wa alaykum assalam,

And, something I have heard many revert sisters say, is that they are drawn to the role of women within Islam and the dignity it gives to them. In Western societies, women are often objectified by the media and by society in terms of how they should dress or behave - there is a huge emphasis on a spiritually empty, materialistic and individualistic consumerism, and most often these societies give little value to a women in her role as a wife and mother.
:wa:

Mashallah. This is so very true in my case, especially the part about the role of wife and mother being valued in Islam. Alhamdulillah I feel so blessed to have been guided to Islam.

anatolian
02-09-2017, 06:33 PM
According to wikipedia 5000 people become Muslim in britain each year and most of the are women. This happens mostly in the west. It is really interesting that Islam which is accused of being unjust towards women but yet the women who benefit from that freedom convert to Islam most . What do you think?

sister herb
02-09-2017, 06:37 PM
I think that the western women have found out that the freedom what comes from Islam is far more better than the freedom they have found from the western values.

anatolian
02-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Apart from this statics, it is known that black peoples' conversion rate to Islam outnumbers other races in America. What I observed from the videos I watch in youtube most of the converts to Islam in Britain have ginger hairs. Is there also an ethnic background in conversion to Islam?

azc
02-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Allah swt gives the hidaya who does he will to.

anatolian
02-09-2017, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Allah swt gives the hidaya who does he will to.
I too believe so with all my heart. but there are some statics. there must be some reason.

sister herb
02-09-2017, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Apart from this statics, it is known that black peoples' conversion rate to Islam outnumbers other races in America. What I observed from the videos I watch in youtube most of the converts to Islam in Britain have ginger hairs. Is there also an ethnic background in conversion to Islam?
Ginger hairs? Interesting idea. By a short reseach I found out that specially Scots have more ginger (or red?) hairs than others in the UK.

"In Scotland, approximately 13% of the population are redheads, although 40% carry at least one mutation."

Source: http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/orig...red_hair.shtml

azc
02-09-2017, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
I too believe so with all my heart. but there are some statics. there must be some reason.
Generally they are more God-fearing and seeker of a peaceful life, they long for equal rights which only Islam gives, friendship with pious Muslim sisters, it may be possible that hijab and modesty of Muslim sisters attract them, they are not satisfied with their own religion they are raised in, their interest in studying other religions and when they study Islam they find it Haq, hatred against Muslims make them know the reality of this hatred....etc

abuahmed
02-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Assalamu Alaykum, just to inform you I am closely following your replies, Incha Allah soon I will summarize the reasons you have so far cited, then we will go deeper in analyzing them.
Brotherly!

Serinity
02-11-2017, 09:21 AM
:salam:

Many have misconceptions about the Hijab and Niqab. Such as it is "oppressive" and so on. But reality is, it is not. Every Muslim sister I have met, or has seen, from my observation, has done it out of love of Allah. etc.

It is completely unislamic to wear Hijab for anybody's sake except for Allah. Afaik. Anyway, to put it straight. If I may, in Islam, women are treated like "princesses" kind of.

Sadly, the Western world has lost the concept of "dignity" and Honor.

We could speak on the reason for why they outnumber.

but I find it interesting. The Media portrays Islam as "oppressive for women" yet most of converts are women. I see it as Qadr of Allah. The Media wants to destroy the image of Islam, yet the result is - more converts. Women even.

But, can you please post some statistics that show this? Much appreciated.

Objectively speaking, Islam treats women very highly. They have a high position in an Islamic Society. Islam aims to protect their diginity, so that they may not be exploited by man. Protect their nature, etc. One of the weaknesses of man, is to see a woman, go around "without clothes".

Maryam AS, Isa's (AS) mother, was a supporter of truth, and very pious indeed. Even mentioned honorably in the Quraan.

In general, Islam aims to protect both men and women. In their own right. Men are not like women, nor are women like men. To make this distinction is important. Because the "equal rights" of the western world, is for women to be LIKE men. They are not. THey are not equal. That is an injustice to say. Injustice.

Women are not weak, but nor are they like men. They are strong. And I highly respect that. Not to be confused with the feminism where women try to be like men - that is utterly disgusting. But strong in their own right.

Idk how to describe it. But men and women are not alike. Allah does not judge based on gender. But one's deeds and Imaan. However, they are not alike. To say a woman and a man is alike, is injustice.

Islam is not a religion of equality, but of Justice.

Astaghfirgullah if I said anything wrong. @huzaifah Ibn Adam, if you will, please correct any mistake I did.

To be treated like a woman, I'd feel very offended. To be categorized or set in the same "section" with woman, is offensive. Cause we aren't alike. Simply put.

Or any scholar, or one who knows can correct any wrong.

Allahu alam.

noraina
02-11-2017, 04:18 PM
And what I find amusing is all of those people creating this big fuss out of the way Islam treats women and particularly the hijab and the niqab, and saying they are raising awareness for the sake of the 'poor Muslim women'.

They like to claim they're giving us a 'platform' to complain about the injustice and oppression we're facing.

But when we then say that Islam has liberated us and that wearing the hijab or niqab is *gasp* something we do from our own will, they then blame it on 'brainwashing'. If anything doesn't support their ethnocentric mindset, they then somehow make it seem Muslim women can't think for themselves and need someone else to tell them what's good for them - double standards, much?

I've had that pitying look when I say I've chosen to dress this way for myself - and no matter how many times I say it, these people will never believe me as they just cannot step away from their own viewpoint and look at it from mine. And they seem to find the idea that any woman would choose to wear the hijab slightly intimidating, a personal affront on their secular standards.

Serinity
02-11-2017, 04:29 PM
You cant help it really. It is hard to argue against someone whose opinion change so quick. I find many times them complainikg about injustice, acting all righteous.

In translation they are like "because I dont like that or dont understand that, you should not do that!" Whether they understand us or not, like it or not. We should still keep our Islamic values.

They talk about freedom, yet try to limit ours. Very paradoxal. They base their views on their emotions tbh.

abuahmed
02-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Assalamu Alayukum
Regarding some statistics, here are links for few sources:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-6258015.html
http://faith-matters.org/images/stor...-in-the-uk.pdf
http://www.inclusivemosqueinitiative...nvertstalk.pdf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.