/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day

Islaahi Advices
02-11-2017, 04:19 PM

There are many people who feel the need to express their love on this day. Men say that I do not have an illicit beloved therefore I am not doing anything haraam, I am merely taking my wife out for dinner! I am going to buy roses for her, I am going to buy a ring for her...it is for my wife, not anybody else! So how can this be wrong? my wife is my Valentine's.

We have the womenfolk who are also guilty (of encouraging husbands to recognise and celebrate Valentine's day). They know a man very conveniently forgets these dates because it is expensive for them. Womenfolk are sharp, when the radio is playing and they say something on Valentine's, she puts it a little bit louder so her husband can hear. Or if there is a newspaper with an article on Valentine's day, she puts that newspaper in his way to ensure that he sees it. On the day she may ask him, "Hey, what is the date today?" she does not ask any other day but on that day she is curious. Why? So if he has forgotten, he can make last minute arrangements.

Now this is all Shaytan's plot. Allah has permitted and encouraged us to show love everyday, so why choose this day specifically? The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said that whoever resembles a nation, he will be counted from amongst them. Therefore, if we anticipate Valentine's day and encourage the public sin by celebrating ourselves, we will be counted amongst them on the day of judgement. Do we really want this? If the founder of Valentine's day died upon disbelief, the poor fellow is busy frying now. Do we actually want to follow his footsteps and fry too in the hereafter?

Look into the history of Valentine's and you will find filthy customs took place on this day. We need to ask ourselves; does this day have anything to do with our deen and sunnah? No. However, we will find links with Christianity, atheism and polytheism. Therefore, those men who are intending to impress their wives on this day and those women who are expecting their husbands to impress them on this day, should make tawba (i.e. repent). Because we know that Valentine's day has nothing to do with deen but it has got everything to do with shirk! Its origins are soaked in shirk.

Remember, a believer must make sabr. And a part of making sabr is to stay very far away from things that have nothing to do with deen. And this Valentine's nonsense is definitely one of them.

May Allah safeguard us, Aameen.
— Hazrat Maulana Dawood Seedat حفظه الله

(The above is an article taken from www.islaahiadvices.com/?p=1623)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mustafa16
02-11-2017, 05:38 PM
The history of Valentine's day is not rooted in "Christianity, atheism, and polytheism," it started in the Roman Empire when the Roman government wanted the soldiers to stay celibate so that they can stay work harder and stay focused on defending (and expanding) their nation, and a man known as Valentine wanted to prevent this and allow men to get married even if they were in the army....and ended up getting beheaded for it.

azc
02-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Why do you celebrate it......?

Mustafa16
02-11-2017, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Why do you celebrate it......?
I don't. And I agree, you should celebrate your love for your spouse on every day, not just Valentine's day, so I agree, the holiday is kinda stupid.....I just think a lot of these scholars who issue these fatwas have no idea what they're talking about because all they know is the Islamic sciences, while the scholars during the golden age of Islam would not only be the leading scholars of Islam, but also the leading historians, scientists, etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
02-11-2017, 05:57 PM
If any Muslim celebrate valentineday even with wife he approves its validity

Mustafa16
02-11-2017, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
If any Muslim celebrate valentineday even with wife he approves its validity
I don't understand what is haram about Valentine's day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day

sister herb
02-12-2017, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
I don't understand what is haram about Valentine's day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day
Because it hasn´t Islamic but pagan and Christian roots? Why to imitate Christians and pagans? The way how people spend it also engourange to dating and to haram relationships.

Mustafa16
02-12-2017, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Because it hasn´t Islamic but pagan and Christian roots? Why to imitate Christians and pagans? The way how people spend it also engourange to dating and to haram relationships.
not every holiday has to be religious......it says in the Qur'an, "....I have built you into tribes and nations so that you may get to know one another...." there is nothing about Christian beliefs which contradict Islam in Valentine's day. Just because Christians started it doesn't mean you can't celebrate it. Christians invented the internet and nation states, does that mean we should do away with those, too? what's with all the hostility towards non muslims?

azc
02-12-2017, 06:54 AM
not every holiday has to be religious......it says in the Qur'an, "....I have built you into tribes and nations so that you may get to know one another...." there is nothing about Christian beliefs which contradict Islam in Valentine's day. Just because Christians started it doesn't mean you can't celebrate it. Christians invented the internet and nation states, does that mean we should do away with those, too? what's with all the hostility towards non muslims?
Internet is a scientific invention whereas valentineday is the product of western culture which gives you an opportunity to quench your carnal desires and satiate debauchery.

sister herb
02-12-2017, 08:26 AM
And how this quote from the Quran relates to a matter of Valentine´s Day or any other non-Islamic feast? By same logic you could justify celebrating any kind of non-Islamic Holiday like Christmas or taking part to sermons of other faith.

"O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted." (49:13)

If you read the whole surah 49, you will find out it talks also about avoiding of ridiculing and backbiting other people, not taking part to their festivals.

49:10 - 15

The believers are but brothers, so make settlement between your brothers. And fear Allah that you may receive mercy.
O you who have believed, let not a people ridicule [another] people; perhaps they may be better than them; nor let women ridicule [other] women; perhaps they may be better than them. And do not insult one another and do not call each other by [offensive] nicknames. Wretched is the name of disobedience after [one's] faith. And whoever does not repent - then it is those who are the wrongdoers.
O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful.
O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.
The bedouins say, "We have believed." Say, "You have not [yet] believed; but say [instead], 'We have submitted,' for faith has not yet entered your hearts. And if you obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not deprive you from your deeds of anything. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."
The believers are only the ones who have believed in Allah and His Messenger and then doubt not but strive with their properties and their lives in the cause of Allah . It is those who are the truthful.

https://quran.com/49

As brother azc wrote, it´s different thing to use internet (or cars, radios or what ever other inventions) than take part to some non-Islamic activities. Internet, car, radio etc. don´t based to different belief.

ebrahimH
02-12-2017, 04:46 PM
I am guilty of celebrating it but I understand why we shouldn't if we as muslim continue to celebrate these kind of holidays or cultural events we start moving away from over own islamic way of life and forgetting what we are thought islamicly beside we should spoil our spouse everyday be good husbands and wife's everyday not just on that day

noraina
02-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Siblings Day - why do we need a specific day to acknowledge and express the importance of these relationships in our life anyway? I never quite understood that.

Buy your wife or husband some nice chocolates or a bouquet of roses every week, every day if you want because you wish to express your love for them - not because there is a date on the calendar telling you to do it.

GodIsAll
02-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Its the American machine convincing every female that if her man doesn't spend beacoup dough on her, then he is a proverbial scum pile.
Now, every husband, fiancé and boyfriend knows this, so...he obliges by shopping and buying absurd trinkets and sweets she doesn't need.
Meanwhile, the fat cats at the florists, chocolate and jewelry corporations are giddy looking at their stock portfolios.
Show love to your spouse! When you feel the need to. Several times a year. Never do it because media and corporate America established a mind game telling you you HAD to.

azc
02-13-2017, 08:24 AM
RasulAllah s.a.w said,"If one imitates another nation or people, he will be from them." [Reported by Imaam Abu-Daawud]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.