/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Severe depression

ceylincemal
02-12-2017, 07:25 AM
ASA

Islamic ruling on depression, anxiety, stress, nervousness, mental breakdowns, constant worrying, OCD

I have all of the above

How should be treated and healed the Islamic way

JAK

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Abed
02-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Wassalam

Constant istighfar is the answer, as well as constant adhkar continue to make. It will give you peace of mind, read La ilaha illallah abundantly. Allah give shifa.

Do exercises, eat healthily and have enough rest.

Ummshareef
02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
:wa:

Sister, this beautiful lecture may help you in sha'Allah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_M6ANTVpeY

Dr Hashmi discusses that the way to get rid of the upset, sadness and grief in our hearts is to come closer to Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa through our obedience and worship. Our sins act as a barrier between us and Allah, which veil our heart, but if we turn to him in repentance for our sins, then we will be granted a peaceful, joyful, generous and satisfied heart in sha'Allah. We are all affected by this to a greater or lesser degree, but the solution is always to re-connect with Allah which means stopping ourselves from false doubts, forbidden desires and disliked deeds. The happiness that being close to Allah brings then makes our worldly difficulties pale into insignificance.

Aaqib
02-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Quran. Quran always puts me in a good state. So beautiful.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
02-13-2017, 01:42 PM
All the above are fantastic practice. Remembrance of Allah, ultimately.

I'd like to add to that (I wrote earlier a very long reply, and deleted it. So I'll try keep it short this time ;D) in the case what you have prescribed, I feel you should also pay attention to your inner self.. meaning, you have to believe that you are a humble slave. You are really worthless (as I am) and that you will try bear Allah's tests as well as you can in appreciation, patience, with humility and kindness as would please Allah. And pray that Allah is pleased with you.

What you say about your state is what I should be and add suicidal. But I long ago learnt that running around like a headless chicken solves nothing, makes you tired and gets everyone worked up for nothing. So, do what you can and let Allah decide. You don't have to emotionally invest in everything. Intention, sincerity and humility are the key words here. Then when you do those istighfar etc, you're coming from a different place.

Don't know if I am making sense.. (maybe I should delete this too!:o)

:peace:

Bosanac
02-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Clinical depression is a serious illness. I highly advise that you speak with a doctor about it. If it is a subject too hard to approach with a family doctor or a doctor you're familiar with, find another one in a close by walk in clinic. They will likely refer you to a psychiatrist who can determine the severity of your case.

There is nothing un-islamic about seeking help from a doctor in treating your depression. Quite the opposite actually.

Try to stay positive, no matter how bleak your day might seem. Take everything one step at a time and don't over burden yourself with too much. Set short term goals (example: pray all the obligatory prayers, listen to one islamic lecture a day, etc.)

Try not to seclude yourself either. If you have nobody around you pop into your mosque, or any mosque for that matter, partake in congregational prayers at least, for example.

I have nothing against the advice posters have mentioned earlier except that it would be really irresponsible not to seek help from professionals. Again, I know it might be hard to breach the subject but stay strong. Don't give up :)

ceylincemal
02-13-2017, 11:56 PM
ASA

Wow JAK guys! I will try to take your advices as best to my abilities but sometimes it is tough I try to be closer with Allah but depression takes over me but I really wish I get strength to but a lot of things can trigger my anxiety and depression and OCD if I am doing better, so its tough but prayers thank u

JAK

whosebob
02-16-2017, 06:10 PM
I'm posting this here in case someones needs advice about schizophrenia. This advice can also used by those with severe depression. I also get really depressed sometimes but then I read my diary to Allah which reminds me of good days Alhamdullilah. I hope this advice helps someone inshallah.

Islamic solution to schizophrenia that helps me.
I have schizophrenia but I have found the solution that helps me. There are times when this solution is too difficult for me especially when I am being overwhelmed. When things are easier, when the voices are not too much then I go back to my regiment. It’s important because it is a form of meditation that is very peaceful. My parents and family were also very patient with me when this all started, this was also vital. The important thing for me is that I was reminded everyday of God’s oneness. This really helped me because I was hearing terrible things about God.

The solution that helps me.

1. I Pray everyday
In Islam, Muslims pray 5 times a day. When this all started all I could do was prostrate and declare God’s oneness with my index finger. But things did get better for a while. I still struggle with prayers but I still do my best which does make me feel better.

2. I write to God about my life in a dairy.
My problem is that I forget easily the blessing in my life. Hearing the voices everyday makes one really depressed. But having a diary to God really helps me. Reason being is that I replace a negative thought process with a positive one. I don’t write about negative things in my diary. I talk about comics, good jokes, heaven, art, computer graphics, good deeds that I see people doing and especially my family and friends etc.

3. I Recite God’s names
In Islam, God has many names which relate to his personality. This helps me understand God better which helps me realize that God is with me through my sickness God willing.

The following are examples are God’s names
God: Allah
God the Merciful : ar-Raheem
God the Healer : al-Qayoom
God the Compassionate : ash-Shafee
God the Granter of Peace: as-Salaam

I was really struggling in the beginning and then I found a book of God’s names. The first name I read was (al-Muqmeen) God - The preserver of faith. To this day it’s one of my favourite names of God because I do believe without His support I would have lost faith a long time ago.

Please note: I try everyday to make relevant prayers by each of God’s names. For instance God the healer (al-Qayoom), Here, I pray for my health as well as my family and friends etc It really helps me find peace. In Islam we repeat God’s names as a form of Meditation. It’s called thikr. We use rosemary beads which really helps Muslims go to a peaceful place.

4. I also Read Quran/Surah Hasr
Allah is He than whom there is no other god Who knows (all things) both secret and open; He Most Gracious Most Merciful.

Allah is He other than whom there is no other god the sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection), The Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Safety, the Exalted in Might, the Irresistible, the Supreme: Glory to Allah! (high is He) above the partners they attribute to Him.

He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or colors). To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: Whatever is in the heavens and on earth doth declare His Praises and Glory: and He is the exalted in Might the Wise.

5.I also Read Quran/Surah al-Ikhlaṣ

Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,
Allah, the Eternal Refuge.
He neither begets nor is born,
Nor is there to none like unto Him."

6. I take Medication
I do take medication which really helps. I did find a psychiatrist and medication that suits me. I believe God provides relief that’s why I never forget to take my meds.

I hope that this information helps you and all those suffering from schizophrenia.

Peace and Blessings be upon you

M.I.A.
02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
i read somewhere today that vitamin b helps lower the..symptoms..of schizophrenia.

so get on your multivitamins o_0

also if you wake up angry try jogging.. to lower your blood pressure and stuff.

'Abd-al Latif
02-16-2017, 07:15 PM
:salamext:

Hayaa8
02-20-2017, 12:32 AM
Be optimistic
And positive
Always smile everyday

You are what your thoughts make you

Try obtaining the books

Don't be sad
Stop worrying relax and be happy

I have psychotic bipolar depression

So usually I need to smile more and I feel angry so I need to read Hadith about controlling anger

Do alot of work
Keep yourself busy

Allaah loves the believer that is active..

al-Andalusi
02-20-2017, 02:48 AM
I have Clinical Depression, Schizophrenia and a personality disorder, so mental health is low on my end, but I have a good deal of experience in dealing with it.

The first order of business is to seek out medical attention. To allow clinical depression to go untreated would be as irresponsible as allowing a broken limb to go untreated. I understand that in the state of severe depression, that it's easy to just allow it to forment and not take action, or to feel as if you deserve to feel as bad as you do, or that your problems are not worth seeking treatment for. However, the first step to overcoming depression is care from a trained medical profesional.

Once you have a treatment going on, the next best thing is to keep both your mind and body active. For physical activity, i try to go for a run or at least a walk every day, but it could really be any kind of physical activity that you find enjoyable. Keeping the mind active and occupied is important as well. I find that prayer, reading Quran, writing, studying and such are a good way to keep my mind active and away from wandering into dark territory.

As well, try to think and contemplate on the good in your life as well. I know, when depressed its hard to do so, but I think that remembering that there are good things that you have is something to fight back against. When I was in my state of heavy suicidal thoughts, I always thought about how much my family loved me, and how important I was to them, even if I felt deep down that I was bad for them.

'abd al-hakeem
02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
As-salaamu aleykum wa Rahmat Allahi wa Baraakatuhu

May Allah swt grant you an abundance of strength and support in your times of hardship, and companions with taqwa to further ease and comfort you. Ameen ya Rabbil alamin.

azc
02-20-2017, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ceylincemal
ASAIslamic ruling on depression, anxiety, stress, nervousness, mental breakdowns, constant worrying, OCDI have all of the aboveHow should be treated and healed the Islamic wayJAK
Pray 2 rakat salah with the intention of removing the tension or depression. You should focus your mind on salah and see the amazing result InshaAllah

Supernova
02-20-2017, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=ceylincemal;2948789]ASA

Islamic ruling on depression, anxiety, stress, nervousness, mental breakdowns, constant worrying, OCD

I have all of the above

Asalaamualaykum
Are you formally diagnosed with this or is this a self assessment ?

lifestyle
02-23-2017, 06:01 AM
My advice is to dedicate alot of time helping others: feed the homeless, visit the sick (some hospitals have volunteer programs) and orphans. You are in my dua.

ceylincemal
03-17-2017, 06:02 AM
Yes I have been diagnosed with MDD (major depressive disorder), GAD (general anxiety disorder), SAD (social anxiety disorder), panic disorder, OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

I get frequent chronic stress, mental breakdowns, sadness, nervousness, constant worrying, depressive, unsettling moods

ceylincemal
03-17-2017, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lifestyle
My advice is to dedicate alot of time helping others: feed the homeless, visit the sick (some hospitals have volunteer programs) and orphans. You are in my dua.
ASA

yes I do volunteer a lot alhamdulillah but I feel like I don't wanna live sometimes

I am in constant chronic stress, depression, and anxiety

JAK as you are too in my dua

piXie
03-17-2017, 07:23 AM
:salamext:

If this is because of a chemical imbalance then its critical that u address that too - u need to get to the root cause - u should contact a naturopathic doctor who can address your gut - brain connection and advise u about the necessary nutrients because there is a very strong relationship between the two and a lot you can do nutritionally for your condition. May Allah grant u shifaa. Aameen.

lifestyle
06-04-2017, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ceylincemal
ASA

yes I do volunteer a lot alhamdulillah but I feel like I don't wanna live sometimes

I am in constant chronic stress, depression, and anxiety

JAK as you are too in my dua
keep focusing your thoughts on helping others and don't dwell on the past or future, check this beautiful khutbah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePB-nQde2TU

Snow
06-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Eat healthy, work out and try to get good sleep, if you can.
Working out makes your brain produce a bunch of fun stuff that makes you feel great.
Seratonin, dopamine...

Zeal
06-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Gain 'ilm starting from tawheed I repeat tawheed
Grow closer to the sunnah
Be sincere in all your actions
Make sure they are for the sake of Allah

'Ilm is what helps us fight the shaytaan and he is the one that wants you to be sad. So fight back by gaining ilm and sincerely putting it into practise fillah

Make du'a that Allah keeps your heart firm on the deen and you steadfast

Allahu musta'an

Sakina'141
06-09-2017, 12:55 AM
:sl:

Sorry to near about your situation. May Allah swt grant you shifa, Ameen. Recite often "Audhubillah min al shaitan rajeem (I seek Allah's protection/refuge/shelter from Shaitaan, the Accursed one." and Ayatul Kursi. Read certain surahs in Quran such as Yasin for protection.

Learn and remember the 99 names of Allah:

Reflect on these beautiful names on daily basis, you will attain true tranquillity of the heart which you cannot get from anywhere else.

When you're sad, remember Allah is Ar-Raqeeb, Al-Aleem, Al-Wadud, Al-Nur

When you feel hopeless and giving up, remember Allah is Al-Mujeeb, Al-lateef, Al-Fattah, Al-Hayyiy

When you're frightened, remember Allah is Al-Hafidh, Al-Maani`, Al-Qawiyy

When you're struggling to survive, remember Allah is Ar-Razzaq, Al-Muhye

When you feel ashamed of your sins, remember Allah is At-Tawaab, Al-Haleem, As-Sitteer

When you're hurt, remember Allah is As-samad

When you have been separated from your loved one, remember Allah is Al-Jaami'

When people are ungrateful, remember Allah is Ash-shakoor

When no one helps you with your struggles, remember Allah is Al-Wakeel

When you're surrounded by lies and liars, remember Allah is Al-Haqq

When you're angry, remember Allah is Al-Basir, Al-Khabir, Al-Mudhill (The Humiliator)

When you are facing difficulties, remember Allah is Al-Kabeer

When you feel weak, remember Allah is Al-Azeez

When you keep making mistakes over and over again, remember Allah is As-sabur, Al-Gaffar, Ar-raheem

And most importantly, always remember Allah is As-Salaam....

For 99 human emotions you can feel, there are 99 beautiful names you can remember to find true tranquillity of the mind.

Alhamdulillah, Allah is truly Al-Wakeel.

Also Remember the stories of all the Prophets (pbut) that we know of - learn about what they went through and how patient and trusting of Allah, they were...make them your role models in life and when you are going through some hardships, remember how many Prophets pbut also went through harships and pain. Get strength and inspiration from their stories of hardship and difficulties with their beautiful characters and closeness to Allah swt. We have so much to learn from their stories and message in the Quran. May Allah swt increase us in good knowledge and practice, Ameen.

Read this beautiful series on Names of Allah swt which also includes many stories of Prophets (pbut):

http://www.virtualmosque.com/tag/names-of-allah/

There are many beautiful articles to read through in your own time, whenever you feel/want. MashaAllah. Alhamdulillah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.