/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos: Islamic tattoo?

ceylincemal
02-12-2017, 07:33 AM
ASA

Are henna tattoos haram?
Real tattoos?
My friend been encouraging me to get an "islamic tattoo"? but I never heard of such a thing
I don't want to but she keep peer pressuring me

What is the ruling?

JAK

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
02-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

First of all, henna 'tattoos' are entirely different from the tattoos in the normal sense of the world. Henna is just a paste which is applied to the skin and leaves a stain, which will fade within a week - henna is halal and perfectly fine. Whereas tattoos are inks or dyes injected into the skin - these are strictly forbidden.

Secondly, there's no such thing as Islamic tattoos - I've never heard of that term tbh.

And if anyone, friend or not, pressurises you to do something you don't want to - don't do it.

Ummshareef
02-12-2017, 11:21 AM
:wa:

Permanent tattoos are haram. See fatwa below from Islam QA. I also read there that temporary tattoos are haram if they depict an animal, but OK otherwise, although they are considered best avoided as they are consider time wasters.

Islam QA

https://islamqa.info/en/20283

Praise be to Allaah.

Tattooing, in which the skin is pierced with a needle and a blue or other coloured dye is injected, is haraam in all forms, whether it causes pain or not, because it involves changing the creation of Allaah, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos and the one for whom that is done. In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allaah.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538).

With regard to all these matters, the ahaadeeth testify that the one who does them is cursed and that they are major sins. There is some difference of scholarly opinion as to the reason why they are forbidden. It was said that it is because they are a form of deception, and it was said that it is because it is a way of changing the creation of Allaah, as Ibn Mas’ood said – which is more correct and also includes the first meaning. And it was suggested that what is forbidden is only that which is permanent, because that is changing the creation of Allaah; as for that which is not permanent, such as kohl which used for adornment by women, that is permitted by the scholars. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/393).

So if what is referred to in the question is that which is not permanent, then it is not a tattoo as such and does not change the creation of Allaah. See question no. 8904.

Umm♥Layth
02-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Sister, after reading all your posts, I HIGHLY recommend you find better friends. It is better to have no friends than friends who are constantly trying to get us to do questionable things.

The Prophet (saws) explained the matter of good companionship, so that no room is left for doubt or confusion, when he said: “A person is upon the Deen of his khaleel - close friend, so look to whom you befriend.” [Abu Dawood and At-Tirmidhee]
The Prophet (saws) said, “The case of the good companion and the bad companion is like that of the seller of musk and the blower of the bellows (iron-smith). As for the seller of musk, he will either give you some of the musk, or you will purchase some from him, or at least you will come away having experienced its good smell. Whereas the blower of the bellows will either burn your clothing, or at least you will come away having experienced its repugnant smell.” [Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zeal
02-12-2017, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ceylincemal
ASA

Are henna tattoos haram?
Real tattoos?
My friend been encouraging me to get an "islamic tattoo"? but I never heard of such a thing
I don't want to but she keep peer pressuring me

What is the ruling?

JAK
Ask her if it's permanent I doubt it is and they do it all the time in southasia. Your friend probably alikened them tatoos because they stay on your skin for a little while, but we just call it mendhi where I'm from

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.