/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is digital photography haram

ak0016
02-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Does using a camera for photography and keeping the photos digital haram untangible.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
02-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Why digital and not analogue?

http://www.academia.edu/6608048/The_...aytham_Alhazen

Scimi

ak0016
02-17-2017, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Why digital and not analogue?

http://www.academia.edu/6608048/The_...aytham_Alhazen

Scimi
I dont underatand what is analogue.

Scimitar
02-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Not digital. camera with a film roll, like 8mm.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ceylincemal
02-17-2017, 11:44 PM
ASA

I am learning so much. So much I don't know about Islam

JAK

ak0016
02-18-2017, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Not digital. camera with a film roll, like 8mm.

Scimi
What is the difference or problem with using digital.

Scimitar
02-18-2017, 12:24 AM
What is the problem with using any camera?

It's how one uses technology - that makes it lawful or unlawful in my humble opinion.

If you photograph things that are unlawful and promote these as well then I believe this is blatant haraam. But that's me.

The camera was invented by a Muslim, his name was Ibn al Haythm - he also wrote the book of optics, which is still recommended reading for students of the optical sciences. In fact - he also invented cataract removal from the eye - and the tools he invented are still designed from his tools and in use today... the amazing thing is - he lives around 1000 years ago.

The link I posted in my first post here has some interesting info about his work.

Scimi

YahyaAE
02-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Back in the day (like 10yrs back) people used to say that photographs (images) of people are haram, even though everyone has television sets in their home. Now today in a social media world where everyone is on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc with their selfies and pix of friends and families, I don't hear that anymore. I even remember Sheikh Hamza Yusuf back in the 90s quoting a hadith that said an angel would not enter a house with a picture (image) of a human in it.

Today I don't know, I really don't... but to me it seems like it is perhaps an extreme position that is not obligatory on a matter that can no longer be maintained in a 21st Century world, so now its been discarded. Perhaps before, like a 100 years ago it wasn't considered as extreme, but today it is. I dunno.

Simple_Person
02-18-2017, 08:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yahya2k
Back in the day (like 10yrs back) people used to say that photographs (images) of people are haram, even though everyone has television sets in their home. Now today in a social media world where everyone is on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc with their selfies and pix of friends and families, I don't hear that anymore. I even remember Sheikh Hamza Yusuf back in the 90s quoting a hadith that said an angel would not enter a house with a picture (image) of a human in it.

Today I don't know, I really don't... but to me it seems like it is perhaps an extreme position that is not obligatory on a matter that can no longer be maintained in a 21st Century world, so now its been discarded. Perhaps before, like a 100 years ago it wasn't considered as extreme, but today it is. I dunno.
To be honest, i look this from a logical perspective. If indeed that is the case, you have to remove it. if that is NOT the case and you have still removed it, no harm will befall you. I mean, having no pictures in the house of animals or human beings. What will you miss of not having them right? So sometimes better be safe than sorry :). Many people find this kind of logic "extreme". But they approach this from a very emotional perspective. For example you see some Muslims say well i eat meat from the market as these guys are Christians and we can eat their meat as they are the people of the book. I had lived in the past in a house with other students and one of them came from Eritrea. He was a Orthodox Christian and he said that back home they slaughtered animals in the name of Jesus. Here in the west, the people who associate themselves with Christianity to my knowledge don't even slaughter in the name of anything. They just shoot a pin through the head of the animal. Which if we would look at it from a logical and rational perspective. How much harm can you cause yourself if you don't eat meat for 1 day or for that matter 1 week? Meat is addictive indeed. But how hard is it to wait and buy it at a Jewish or Islamic slaughter house?

Scimitar
02-19-2017, 02:02 AM
MashaAllah it's good to have you on the forum Simple Person

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.