PDA

View Full Version : help me please



amoha019
02-21-2017, 01:33 AM
assalamu alaikum,


long story short , my dad owns a computer shop , he sells software but the software is not licenced , ive told him about it but he says its allowed, other than that his business is 100% clean . ive always thought his business was halal but im not sure now , which is now making me depressed becuase i want to start a business but whats stopping me is that we live in the same which he rents , so wouldn't what i do become haram?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Reminder
02-21-2017, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by amoha019
assalamu alaikum,


long story short , my dad owns a computer shop , he sells software but the software is not licenced , ive told him about it but he says its allowed, other than that his business is 100% clean . ive always thought his business was halal but im not sure now , which is now making me depressed becuase i want to start a business but whats stopping me is that we live in the same which he rents , so wouldn't what i do become haram?
It is not a perfect situation, perhaps, that your father sells unlicensed software.

However, it also isn't a big deal... lots of brothers sell pork, cigarettes, drugs, etc.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-21-2017, 02:31 AM
wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullah

Very difficult situation indeed. What if you start your business, the business is based on clean and legit way of living. You pay YOUR share of the rent, so it would make YOUR part halal i guess right?

About whole licensing stuff. I myself use Linux and opensource software, but i also use unlicensed software like Windows and Office in virtual environment (virtual box). Why i use this, is because Micro$oft FORCES people to use their software or else things are not compatible and such. Even when i fix somebody else's computer, i use illegal software, but i never ask money for it.

My OWN philosophy is, as long as a company is FORCING you to use their software by limiting the possibility for other software to use some standards, then i will not pay for it and use illegal means. However, i will not ask money from people for using this illegal software installed by me.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-21-2017, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Reminder
It is not a perfect situation, perhaps, that your father sells unlicensed software.

However, it also isn't a big deal... lots of brothers sell pork, cigarettes, drugs, etc.
Brother, just because people do "worse" things, than selling unlicensed software, doesn't mean you are free to go. Every person will have to explain his own deeds and no one will be held responsible for somebody else's sin.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
amoha019
02-21-2017, 03:48 AM
this is the worst reply/advice ive heard in my life . hahaha
Reply

amoha019
02-21-2017, 03:53 AM
yeah bro , thanks for the reply , and its the situation im in right now that im having trouble starting a business becuase i want to start the legit way possible ,i have laptops/phone all brought by my father and was wondering if i should give it away ,, like i cant even make money if all i have this
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullah

Very difficult situation indeed. What if you start your business, the business is based on clean and legit way of living. You pay YOUR share of the rent, so it would make YOUR part halal i guess right?

About whole licensing stuff. I myself use Linux and opensource software, but i also use unlicensed software like Windows and Office in virtual environment (virtual box). Why i use this, is because Micro$oft FORCES people to use their software or else things are not compatible and such. Even when i fix somebody else's computer, i use illegal software, but i never ask money for it.

My OWN philosophy is, as long as a company is FORCING you to use their software by limiting the possibility for other software to use some standards, then i will not pay for it and use illegal means. However, i will not ask money from people for using this illegal software installed by me.
Reply

MazharShafiq
02-21-2017, 04:23 AM
You mean by ( not licensed ) tracked software ?
Reply

Simple_Person
02-21-2017, 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by amoha019
yeah bro , thanks for the reply , and its the situation im in right now that im having trouble starting a business becuase i want to start the legit way possible ,i have laptops/phone all brought by my father and was wondering if i should give it away ,, like i cant even make money if all i have this
I don't get it exactly. Please do confirm some of the things. Your dad owns the computer shop (pays rent for the building), on those computers he installs illegal software and sells those computers(charges also for the software). besides that he also sells illegal software. If i have understood this clearly, please confirm this.

If your dad his business is based on that, what is your business then about? Is there any interaction between your business and your dad's business?
Reply

Reminder
02-21-2017, 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Brother, just because people do "worse" things, than selling unlicensed software, doesn't mean you are free to go.
Brother, I didn't say it is not a sin. Please do not put words in my virtual mouth.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-21-2017, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by Reminder
Brother, I didn't say it is not a sin. Please do not put words in my virtual mouth.
I apologize, give me your ip-address and login details..so i can hack in to your system and retract the words i put in your virtual mouth :D.

What i was referring was, but failed to deliver it in the right manner (again i apologize for it), was never see something as "not worth the attention" because bigger sins are happening worldwide by other people.
Reply

aaj
02-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by amoha019
yeah bro , thanks for the reply , and its the situation im in right now that im having trouble starting a business becuase i want to start the legit way possible ,i have laptops/phone all brought by my father and was wondering if i should give it away ,, like i cant even make money if all i have this
What your father does is out of your hands. Since you are dependent on him, that too is out of your hand. You can continue to give him dawaah in this regard and let him know that it's illegal and could get him in trouble (if he is in the west). As for your equipment he has given you, use it to make halal money inshallah. And if you feel it is not right to keep it then get market value of those if you were to sell them today and when you make your money, give that amount out in charity.
Reply

amoha019
02-22-2017, 01:37 AM
thanks i didnt know you could that ,
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
I apologize, give me your ip-address and login details..so i can hack in to your system and retract the words i put in your virtual mouth :D.

What i was referring was, but failed to deliver it in the right manner (again i apologize for it), was never see something as "not worth the attention" because bigger sins are happening worldwide by other people.
Reply

azc
02-22-2017, 02:31 AM
:wa: I'll suggest you to talk to mufti. He is the right person.
Reply

Reminder
02-22-2017, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
I apologize, give me your ip-address and login details..so i can hack in to your system and retract the words i put in your virtual mouth :D.

What i was referring was, but failed to deliver it in the right manner (again i apologize for it), was never see something as "not worth the attention" because bigger sins are happening worldwide by other people.


Brother, again you put words in my mouth. I never said it is "not worth the attention". I simply said it isn't a big deal.
Reply

Simple_Person
02-22-2017, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by Reminder
Brother, again you put words in my mouth. I never said it is "not worth the attention". I simply said it isn't a big deal.
That is what i mean with "not worth the attention" (isn't a big deal). When you say something isn't a big deal is like saying, there are bigger things to worry about. However, it is NOT what we find "a big deal" or "not a big deal". It is what Allah(swt) sees it. We will not judge our own sins on the Day of Judgement, but Allah(swt) will. So not doing the big sins ALHAMDULILLAH, now in our own individual case like of this brother and his situation. That is something that should also be dealt with and not branded as "not a big deal".
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!