/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is parkour permissible in Islam?

MuhammadSajidHA
02-27-2017, 03:50 PM
ASSALAMU ALAIKUM WA RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATUH

If I learn parkour to keep fit and use parkour in emergency situation, will that be halal? I know it's a little awkward question but I believe everything can be justified with Islamic Shari'ah.

JAJAKALLAHU KHAIRE

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
02-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Of course it's halal bro - I love parkour and run London in the summertime :)

Scimi

Serinity
02-27-2017, 04:03 PM
:salam:

Not everything can be justified by Shariah i.e murdering of innocents.

can't see why parkour would be haram, unless you jump knowing you will die by it.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

MuhammadSajidHA
02-27-2017, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Of course it's halal bro - I love parkour and run London in the summertime :)

Scimi
U know parkour?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
02-27-2017, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadSajidHA
U know parkour?
yup.

11 years and still running :) MashaAllah.

This video from C4 got me into it:

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
02-27-2017, 04:26 PM
It is permissible to do parkour. In fact, it's good to do it. Islaam encourages Muslims to be strong. And, these days, Jihaad takes place primarily in the form of guerilla warfare, so being good in parkour helps out.

The body which Allaah Ta`aalaa has given us is an Amaanat (trust). It is to be used correctly. That means not doing anything which harms the body, but it also means not "wasting" the body by doing nothing and never training.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام

Serinity
02-27-2017, 05:44 PM

I have done parkour for 5-7 years. I have stopped going cuz of a statue. Is it permissible to go do parkour there or haram??

Allahu alam

Huzaifah ibn Adam
02-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Do you mean, there is a statue in the certain area of town in which you're doing parkour? If so, then it's permissible to do parkour there. The statue doesn't affect anything.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام

Al Sultan
03-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Of course it's halal bro - I love parkour and run London in the summertime

Scimi
Do you know tricks? front flips maybe? they look really cool.

Scimitar
03-01-2017, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Sultan
Do you know tricks? front flips maybe? they look really cool.
No.

LOL

I'm more of a jumper, and grabber type runner. And I don't like heights over two stories either. And those stories better be for midgets proportions :D

Scimi

Scimitar
03-01-2017, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Do you mean, there is a statue in the certain area of town in which you're doing parkour? If so, then it's permissible to do parkour there. The statue doesn't affect anything.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام
mmm

idea. Try doing a landing on a part of a the dummy, uh I mean statue each time you go parkour - over time it may cause the statue to weaken and break. Which is sunnah.

:D

never thought of that before. getting ideas for the summer loool (jokes)

Scimi

Indefinable
03-01-2017, 09:25 PM
This actually sounds pretty cool.

I remember watching that documentary that the brother mentioned.

Scimitar
03-01-2017, 10:51 PM
There was another called Jump London which was epic, the dude jumped off the war ship canon onto the hull... making monkeys in india go full ape in jealousy :D epic

Scimi

Indefinable
03-01-2017, 11:05 PM
How do you train for something like this? Just running? Or is there weight training involved too?

Scimitar
03-01-2017, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indefinable
How do you train for something like this? Just running? Or is there weight training involved too?
I have never done weight training, I just kept fit with martial arts for a long time and I like to walk and run.

Getting into free running (parkour) for me was easy, I just found two points on a map and thought, "can I do this in a straight line? let's find out" - and I went for it. It became like a game for me, because the first few times I tried, I found a few obstacles difficult due to not being experienced with the approach, but momentum is what its about - and breaking fall. Learn to use your momentum and to break your fall and you're already half way there.

Like I said, it becomes like a game if you have the same route - can you do it faster, is there a better way over the obstacle, etc - all this just increases your skillset and fun levels.

One advice sister (edit) - tie them sneaker laces up nicely. Definitely warm up.

Living in the east end of London also helps :) lots of good ground to cover here.

Scimi

Indefinable
03-01-2017, 11:10 PM
I have never done weight training, I just kept fit with martial arts for a long time and I like to walk and run.

Getting into free running (parkour) for me was easy, I just found two points on a map and thought, "can I do this in a straight line? let's find out" - and I went for it. It became like a game for me, because the first few times I tried, I found a few obstacles difficult due to not being experienced with the approach, but momentum is what its about - and breaking fall. Learn to use your momentum and to break your fall and you're already half way there.

Scimi
:jz:

Sounds awesome.

Indefinable
03-01-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm a sister, and I probably won't do anything like that in public where I live.

But it definitely looks appealing.

Scimitar
03-01-2017, 11:18 PM
There are parkour clubs, not sure if they have female only though.

I never joined any myself, but I did go to see one in London - they were way too acrobatic for me though so I just watched. That club was indoor, with mats and stuff all over the place.

Scimi

MuhammadSajidHA
03-08-2017, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indefinable
I'm a sister, and I probably won't do anything like that in public where I live.

But it definitely looks appealing.
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

I am also in the same position, but what I found out is that if you don't want to go public the roof of your house is the best option. And you can transform anything to an training obstacle, it's all about creativity

MuhammadSajidHA
03-08-2017, 04:45 AM
And BTW I am from Bangladesh, and if there is some one who is from Bangladesh. You can contact me(if you want).We can train together, if possible Insha'allah

aflawedbeing
03-09-2017, 02:27 AM
Something I've wondered, if I'm 27 and totally out of shape is it too late to get into Parkour?

Scimitar
03-09-2017, 04:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
Something I've wondered, if I'm 27 and totally out of shape is it too late to get into Parkour?
Nope.

it's about perfect :)

Go for it in sha Allah.

laces tight, Warm up well, stretch well <- ESSENTIAL ADVICE.

And the rest, is up to you :)

Scimi

aflawedbeing
03-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Nope.

it's about perfect :)

Go for it in sha Allah.

laces tight, Warm up well, stretch well <- ESSENTIAL ADVICE.

And the rest, is up to you :)

Scimi

Excellent. :) Must get on it.
Now to figure out where to start, as it looks like a lot of fun.

Simple_Person
03-11-2017, 03:15 PM
These kind of things and i am not only focusing on this. But whole "rush-feeling" of the heart has become a hype lately. Know your intention to not use it as a sort of "high", but rather a use as benefiting the body and mind.

I watch a lot of documentaries and for the last 2-3 years the amount of documentaries of these adrenaline junkies has gone through the roof. I tried to watch a documentary and tried to place myself in their position in life..but when the heart is missing contentment these people try to fill it up with this adrenaline-injection doing those stunts and pursuing those achievements. So know your intention what you are doing it for..not some achievement to replace imaan and contentment of the heart with this "high".

As i in another topic mentioned that this world has gone away from religion as never before. Sheytan is you could say in charge. So whatever is being pushed..be skeptical about it..what sheytan wants to achieve.

As i myself try slowly go for own body weight exercise in the barstarz kind of direction. However those guys you see doing it to show off to people look..what i can achieve =_=!. While i try to keep my body with less muscle but with more strength for if something might happen in the world you being psychically fit to be able to move. Also without the need of additional stuff..just your own body weight being able to train where ever you are.

Scimitar
03-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Bro Simple_person, you come across like you are afraid of your own shadow sometimes :) I pray Allah gives you courage.

Scimi

ardianto
03-11-2017, 04:59 PM
The important thing you have to remember when start a sport activity is do not thinking "If they can do it, then I can do it too". Be careful, this is principle that lead you do something without proper technique, that not only could make you failed, but also could cause accident.

So what you must think is "If they can do it, how they do it?". You should learn the proper technique before you do. With proper technique, In Shaa Allah, you can do sport activity safely. Know the proper technique will also raise you confidence and your courage.

:)

Simple_Person
03-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Bro Simple_person, you come across like you are afraid of your own shadow sometimes :) I pray Allah gives you courage.

Scimi
Sub'han'Allah, pondering about things and being careful about things is by you seen "as if i am afraid of my own shadow?". The people who have this so called "courage" we have MORE than enough of these kind of people. That has brought Muslims a lot of good right? We have already build our wonderful Caliphate and we Muslims are not being humiliated by Allah(swt) whatsoever right?. We lack people who do not have this "courage". Look at many Muslim brothers and sisters who have their own youtube channel. Making a buck or two on the side. They start all innocent..then you see them holding hands with women for the sake of a "sketch" or hanging out with other female Muslim youtubers to record a "vlog"..all innocent and all courageous but off course we must have this so wonderful courage =_=!. And i am being too extreme with my thoughts.

Alhamdulillah that on the Day of Judgement each and every one of us is responsible for their own deeds.

Scimitar
03-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Bro, go for a run - it will refresh you in sha Allah. you'll feel good. and brave.

Scimi

Simple_Person
03-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Bro, go for a run - it will refresh you in sha Allah. you'll feel good. and brave.

Scimi
Kind of disrespectful i must say, but yeah if you feel so brave saying it be even more proud of that comment of yours knowing Allah(swt) is also aware of the condition of our hearts when we say such things.

Peace.

Scimitar
03-11-2017, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Kind of disrespectful i must say, but yeah if you feel so brave saying it be even more proud of that comment of yours knowing Allah(swt) is also aware of the condition of our hearts when we say such things.

Peace.
He does indeed - while you think I am being offensive to you :D rich.

I wonder what your heart was manifesting when you made this post? :D

Scimi

Serinity
03-11-2017, 06:02 PM
@Simple_Person

I must ask, what is wrong in getting an Adrenaline Rush, as long as you don't replace your Imaan? Who in their right mind would do that? I feel more free with Imaan than I ever did with Adrenaline.

Besides, it feels good to succeed in doing a frontflip. I understand, jumping from buildings and hanging by one hand from 20 meter tower is dumb and risky. And I will never do that, as long as you are within safe limits.

Allahu alam.

Simple_Person
03-11-2017, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
@Simple_Person

I must ask, what is wrong in getting an Adrenaline Rush, as long as you don't replace your Imaan? Who in their right mind would do that? I feel more free with Imaan than I ever did with Adrenaline.

Besides, it feels good to succeed in doing a frontflip. I understand, jumping from buildings and hanging by one hand from 20 meter tower is dumb and risky. And I will never do that, as long as you are within safe limits.

Allahu alam.
Because this adrenaline rush has become this.."proof that i am still alive" and "i have to keep doing this and go to further extremes or else my life has no meaning and is boring" kind of mentality. If you still don't get it what i try to say..then never mind.

ardianto
03-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Because this adrenaline rush has become this.."proof that i am still alive" and "i have to keep doing this and go to further extremes or else my life has no meaning and is boring" kind of mentality. If you still don't get it what i try to say..then never mind.
I was motocross racer when I was young, and have competed in dozens race events. I also ever competed in auto rally. However, I did this not because I wanted to feel adrenaline rush like people who want to ride roller coaster. But because desire to achieve an achievement that not different than people who choose to compete in tennis, or even those who compete in writing contest.

Indeed, motocross and auto rally made me feel adrenaline rush. But this was not something that I wanted to feel because It could make me lose control and got accident. That's why I trained myself to control my fear.

Serinity
03-11-2017, 07:32 PM
With that said, having Adrenaline Rush is not the reason why I do Parkour. I want to test my limits, reach new heights.

Just like Ardian said. of course such mindsets as you describe are not Islamic. As Muslims we do it to keep our minds and body fresh and working. The hardest thing is not doing the flip, or stuff. But to overcome one's fears.

Allahu alam.

'Abd-al Latif
03-11-2017, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadSajidHA
ASSALAMU ALAIKUM WA RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATUH

If I learn parkour to keep fit and use parkour in emergency situation, will that be halal? I know it's a little awkward question but I believe everything can be justified with Islamic Shari'ah.

JAJAKALLAHU KHAIRE
Bro parkour isn't haram but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be running on walls and doing backflips outside the window to escape from a fire. Parkour is a pastime activity and not one experts will recommend you to use in case of an emergency :facepalm:

Serinity
03-11-2017, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Bro parkour isn't haram but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be running on walls and doing backflips outside the window to escape from a fire. Parkour is a pastime activity and not one experts will recommend you to use in case of an emergency :facepalm:
Minus the flips and unnecessary movements. I'd say Parkour is pretty neat and useful in such situations. Of course, backflipping, etc. in dire situations is dumb.

Allahu alam.

'Abd-al Latif
03-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Minus the flips and unnecessary movements. I'd say Parkour is pretty neat and useful in such situations. Of course, backflipping, etc. in dire situations is dumb.

Allahu alam.
Parkour is fun and definitely keeps you in shape but tell me one situation where parkour can be really useful?

AbdurRahman.
03-11-2017, 08:30 PM
:wa:

yes i go along with br Abd Al Latif and Huzaifah Ibn Adam on this one; good 'jihad' training! :Emoji51:

however i think it will be allowed as long as your not taking unnecassary risks like jumping from roof top to roof top!

Aaqib
03-11-2017, 08:38 PM
The most I do is jump on trampolines. ^o)

Scimitar
03-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Parkour is fun and definitely keeps you in shape but tell me one situation where parkour can be really useful?
running from the poleesh :D joke. District

Scimi

Serinity
03-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Yeah, running from the police, not a good idea, so doesn't count as one.. But say you are cornered by bandits or criminals, combine Parkour with martial arts, and you may run up the walls and escape. Without martial arts, that is.. Well, martial arts is good, because you can kick off their weapons.

If you jump too much, the criminals may just shoot you down. However, Martial arts and Parkour can be a deadly combination. But as for examples. If the tricks and vaults are not good enough, then at least the fact that we face our fears and try to eliminate them may help us.

But for real, I think it may train one more mentally, than it is of use as a skill. Though, by the will of Allah, it may be useful in dire situations. Say you fell down a pit and needed to run up.

running from the poleesh :D joke. District

Scimi

Idk, but I found this funny. Running from the po-po! :D

Scimitar
03-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Idk, but I found this funny. Running from the po-po! :D
:D

enjoy

Scimi

ardianto
03-12-2017, 01:59 AM

Allahu alam.
Parkour has been splitted into two genre, original parkour, and freerunning. The original parkour is an art of escape which every move should be done efficiently without unnecessary moves. While freerunning is an art of run and jump which the runner do acrobatic moves like frontflip or backflip.

Many articles said that the reason why David Belle, the master of parkour, refused to play in movie Yamakasi was because the action in Yamakasi was freerunning with acrobatic moves, not the original parkour.

Simple_Person
03-12-2017, 05:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I was motocross racer when I was young, and have competed in dozens race events. I also ever competed in auto rally. However, I did this not because I wanted to feel adrenaline rush like people who want to ride roller coaster. But because desire to achieve an achievement that not different than people who choose to compete in tennis, or even those who compete in writing contest.

Indeed, motocross and auto rally made me feel adrenaline rush. But this was not something that I wanted to feel because It could make me lose control and got accident. That's why I trained myself to control my fear.
That is why I said a few comments before know your intention and why you are doing it. As it might feel innocent at first but if you are not aware of it and forget why you are doing it you fall in the same trap as those adrenaline junkies have fallen.

Simple_Person
03-12-2017, 05:52 AM
With that said, having Adrenaline Rush is not the reason why I do Parkour. I want to test my limits, reach new heights.

Just like Ardian said. of course such mindsets as you describe are not Islamic. As Muslims we do it to keep our minds and body fresh and working. The hardest thing is not doing the flip, or stuff. But to overcome one's fears.

Allahu alam.
That is what I have been trying to say but somehow Scimitar doesn't understand a single word I am saying. With every halal thing it can become a haram thing. For example money is good..but if it becomes greed "hoarding of money" it becomes bad.

You also see brothers going to the gym. Working out is very good but suddenly it becomes to show off to people..." Ladies look at me and look at my muscles"-mentality.

Serinity
03-12-2017, 08:53 AM
That is what I have been trying to say but somehow Scimitar doesn't understand a single word I am saying. With every halal thing it can become a haram thing. For example money is good..but if it becomes greed "hoarding of money" it becomes bad.

You also see brothers going to the gym. Working out is very good but suddenly it becomes to show off to people..." Ladies look at me and look at my muscles"-mentality.
I understand you now.

It is important that with every halal thing you do, that you check your intentions. Is it for Allah :swt: or to show off to people? Allah :swt: only accepts deeds done for His :swt: sake only. So if you did it for the people, or anyone for that matter. Then one is truly lost.

Say Salah. Salaah is a VERY good thing. But if one's Salaah becomes void and it is only to show off to people, and appear "pious", then that salaah is worthless. Obviously, I am not counting those who struggle with this.

For example, I struggle when people see me pray. I fear pride getting to me. you see, What is the one of the biggest nullifer of deeds? (please correct if I am wrong) to do deeds with pride and arrogance, to show off to people, and to look down upon those less fortunate, (be it your brother or a random kafir on the street)

Allahu alam.

Simple_Person
03-12-2017, 09:13 AM
I understand you now.

It is important that with every halal thing you do, that you check your intentions. Is it for Allah :swt: or to show off to people? Allah :swt: only accepts deeds done for His :swt: sake only. So if you did it for the people, or anyone for that matter. Then one is truly lost.

Say Salah. Salaah is a VERY good thing. But if one's Salaah becomes void and it is only to show off to people, and appear "pious", then that salaah is worthless. Obviously, I am not counting those who struggle with this.

For example, I struggle when people see me pray. I fear pride getting to me. you see, What is the one of the biggest nullifer of deeds? (please correct if I am wrong) to do deeds with pride and arrogance, to show off to people, and to look down upon those less fortunate, (be it your brother or a random kafir on the street)

Allahu alam.
About prayer maybe this tip could help a little. When you go and pray, imagine Day of Judgement. Every person is there for themselves. There is no more "look at me how good i pray", as this nobody cares about you and what you are doing. Everybody is worrying about their own deeds. When i realize this, suddenly i forget even that i am in a masjid and are surrounded by people who can see me.

greenhill
03-12-2017, 09:48 AM
I think parkour is something different in a way that the obstacles require almost instantaneous 'mapping' adjustments to overcome it and really helps with coordination, implementation and reaction.. definitely people who do not practice this would not be able to easily overcome the obstacles ... I also must say that learning to fall properly is also an added bonus like the forward roll etc.. had I not known how to do the forward roll, I would have seriously injured myself and most likely to have scraped half my face off.. but instead, sprained my wrists and got a few scratches on my shoulder and back.. (that was not from parkour but from a different sport)..

:peace:

'Abd-al Latif
03-12-2017, 09:53 AM
The point I'm making is that parkour is a pastime activity as you won't use the skills in your everyday activities.

It's impractical to parkour towards the bus while wearing a suit because it'll rip. You can't do backflips and jump over tables to join the queue in a shop (don't get any ideas!) or any other everyday activity.

It's a skill but not one that's necessary for everyday life.

greenhill
03-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Ha ha ha .... yes, like every other sports, football, basketball, tennis, swimming, etc..

:peace:

Simple_Person
03-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Today i was wondering about something. Is being afraid of something part of the fitrah? For example being on a high building looking down being afraid of falling down. I am not referring to ooh..i am on the second floor and see the height and being afraid, but literately being on the edge of it. So jumping from one building to another building is his going against the fitrah(again if fear being part of the fitrah).??

This i have also wondered about kickboxing and UFC kind of sports. (there is training and there are matches..specially referring to those matches as you are doing harm to somebody else..)

This is a question and you guys i am sure know more than me.

Juwairiyah M.
03-12-2017, 10:14 AM
For the sisters, like me, would this be permissable, like all other sports, if done while dressed modestly, unless within private? I've always wondered what standing Islam had on sports' tights like spandex and the like

ardianto
03-12-2017, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Juwairiyah M.
For the sisters, like me, would this be permissable, like all other sports, if done while dressed modestly, unless within private? I've always wondered what standing Islam had on sports' tights like spandex and the like
You don't have to wear sports' tights. You can dress like sisters in the photo below.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.