/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fake news targeting Muslim refugees?

MuslimInshallah
03-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

This news story is all over the place in the mainstream media... it is bad enough, but look at the end... there is a really astonishing quote attributed to a supposed Chechen refugee. Except that the name doesn't sound Chechen. And what he is saying sounds... unlikely! More like what you'd expect from someone who hates refugees... especially those from Chechnya and Afghanistan.

If anyone knows how to get this looked into... please do so.

JazakAllah khairan.

Austrian court convicts 8 Iraqis of gang-rape of German tourist

George Jahn , The Associated Press
Published Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:04AM EST
Last Updated Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:20PM EST

VIENNA -- An Austrian court found eight Iraqi nationals guilty on Thursday of gang-raping a German tourist on New Year's Eve more than a year ago and sentenced them to prison terms of between nine and 13 years.

Charges against a ninth suspect were dismissed, said a court statement. The victim -- a 28-year-old woman -- was awarded 25,000 euros (over $26,000) in damages.
Both sides were appealing the decision, the statement said.

All nine Iraqi men, who ranged in age from 22 to 48, came to Austria as migrants between May and December 2015. Five subsequently were given refugee status.

The prosecution argued that the eight men convicted exploited the fact that the victim had been drinking heavily on Dec. 31, 2015 and was unable to defend herself

Rape is punishable by a maximum 15-year prison term in Austria. Explaining the verdict and sentencing, Judge Petra Poschalko said that only two of the defendants had helped the court establish the facts and only one had confessed.

The court heard testimony that four of the men took the woman to a Vienna apartment where they were joined by the others and that all took turns raping her. When the alcohol started wearing off, she found herself naked in a bed.

Rape is punishable by a maximum 15-year prison term in Austria. Explaining the verdict and sentencing, Judge Petra Poschalko said that only two of the defendants had helped the court establish the facts and only one had confessed.

Defence lawyer Andreas Reichenbach observed that the gang rape was committed at around the same time as the high-profile sexual assaults in Cologne by groups of migrants.

Reichenbach suggested the sentences imposed Thursday served in part as an "additional message" for asylum-seekers.

"As we all know, asylum-seekers don't have the best image here in Austria," he said. "I think that this surely played a certain role, to make it clear to these people that when they come to Austria that such behaviour won't be tolerated," he said.

All but one of the defendants denied raping the woman. Some acknowledged having sex with her, but argued it had been consensual.

Prosecutor Karina Fehringer said that was impossible, describing the victim as being defenceless in an "unconscious, shock-rigid" state.

Fehringer said the victim continues to suffer post-traumatic effects from the assault and requires psychiatric treatment.

The defence argued that the victim might have sent "false signals" that could have encouraged the men.

Noting that the woman was extremely intoxicated, Fehringer was quoted by the Austria Press Agency as asking: "Should we stick warnings on bottles: 'Excess consumption could be interpreted as agreement to have sex?"'

Charges were dismissed against the 48-year-old defendant, who said he had been asleep during the assaults.

Migrants and refugees from other countries expressed concern that the crime will make Austrians hostile toward all newcomers.

"Eight people raping a woman -- that's honour-less! Such a thing doesn't exist in our religion," Burhan Akbas, a migrant from Turkey, said.

"When such people come here and screw up like that, then everybody will think that Chechens, Afghans, all refugees from war areas are all the same," Mansur Salamou, an asylum-seeker from Chechnya, said. "But it's not like that. For example, the majority of us -- we also cause problems, commit crimes. But no rape! Only criminal assaults and robberies."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
03-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Unfortunately I'm of no help in this case...but it is horrifying how fake news stories get so widely circulated.

Particularly across the web and on social media sites. I've read a few really vindictive and hateful news articles creating a moral panic about these refugees coming from war-torn countries. No doubt maybe some do fall into crime, but not on the scale those article suggest.

And these often get so much credibility. You really just cannot believe everything you read, people need to think critically when they're reading anything.

Simple_Person
03-03-2017, 02:17 PM
This is even MORE good news. STOP..don't me hate me for saying this. Think with me first and then conclude if this comment was of any benefit.

The amount of Muslim reverts have risen faster after 9/11. They plan and Allah plans and Allah is the best of planners.

Human psychology is amazing when it comes to lies. It divides peoples. The cynical and negative people will say "these filthy animals balblalbla" and the honest positive people will say maybe some in the same sentence. Within our nature there is the curiosity. We want to know and understand why these people do what they do. They come to know about that these refugees are Muslim. So they for example start reading the Qur'an. In my own conclusion so far is that two types of people are not being guided

- The dishonest person(although he searched for the truth but because of the dishonesty does not accept it)
- The honest person, but does not search for the truth.

When the honest person finally searches for the truth, Allah(swt) guides whom He wants.

So the dividends begins for the human beings to split them in to two camps. The hypocrites among the Muslims also finally find the "excuse" to get away from Islam by saying look at these "Muslims" we are not of them blablalbal..

In the end having two camps. Honest people and dishonest people.

When even shown even 1 article being fake news, this even more confirms of the honest seeker of not trusting the media anymore. When knowing this, people tend to dig deeper about what is going on in the world. Again if you search you will find.

So all in all, for every one of us Muslim, it is simply the fact of stay firm on the deen. When somebody comes to you demanding answers for this behavior, THAT is even a GOOD thing :). Why? Da'wa can begin :D. Although we must also start learning one or more things about history and Islam. Also about other religions including atheism. We must also start to gain experience during discussions to quickly distinguish the dishonest person from the honest person. The rest is "piece of cake". Just show good character, which will contradict the fake news.

Mrciful_Servant
03-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Naghozubillah ....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mrciful_Servant
03-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Naghozubillah ....[emoji52][emoji47]

Mrciful_Servant
03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
I m an Afghan and know how the Muslim here are....?

Mrciful_Servant
03-08-2017, 10:35 AM
They tend to be muslims and are the real Kafir....

Well if anyone know the situation of Afghanistan [emoji1023]...it is living in horrific circumstances...and it is all because of the muslims here ...they are the most despicable ones walking on the surface of the earth ...this is because they just tend to call them selves muslims

Mrciful_Servant
03-08-2017, 10:35 AM
I will make a new thread a discuss everything ...

Mrciful_Servant
03-08-2017, 10:36 AM
[emoji21]

Serinity
03-08-2017, 10:39 AM
:salam:

I don't even know what to believe of the news anymore. All this sounds so unlikely it is laughable. I think I will stick to "bring me proof or you are lying"

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Simple_Person
03-08-2017, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mrciful_Servant
They tend to be muslims and are the real Kafir....

Well if anyone know the situation of Afghanistan [emoji1023]...it is living in horrific circumstances...and it is all because of the muslims here ...they are the most despicable ones walking on the surface of the earth ...this is because they just tend to call them selves muslims
Sister not only there. I am myself a Kurd and many Kurds do the same as you are accusing the Afghans doing. With the mouth Islam..Islam ..Islam..but i have seen no imaan. Are they kaffirs? Allah knows best about that, but the things they do and say is everything except Islam. It is rather for practicing Muslim to stay in the west than to live in such places with those kind of Muslims. I think this by majority of the people..being Afghan, Arab, Turk, Kurd or Persian etc...all the same every where.

Supernova
03-08-2017, 11:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum,

This news story is all over the place in the mainstream media... it is bad enough, but look at the end... there is a really astonishing quote attributed to a supposed Chechen refugee. Except that the name doesn't sound Chechen. And what he is saying sounds... unlikely! More like what you'd expect from someone who hates refugees... especially those from Chechnya and Afghanistan.

If anyone knows how to get this looked into... please do so.

JazakAllah khairan.

Austrian court convicts 8 Iraqis of gang-rape of German tourist

George Jahn , The Associated Press
Published Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:04AM EST
Last Updated Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:20PM EST

VIENNA -- An Austrian court found eight Iraqi nationals guilty on Thursday of gang-raping a German tourist on New Year's Eve more than a year ago and sentenced them to prison terms of between nine and 13 years.

Charges against a ninth suspect were dismissed, said a court statement. The victim -- a 28-year-old woman -- was awarded 25,000 euros (over $26,000) in damages.
Both sides were appealing the decision, the statement said.

All nine Iraqi men, who ranged in age from 22 to 48, came to Austria as migrants between May and December 2015. Five subsequently were given refugee status.

The prosecution argued that the eight men convicted exploited the fact that the victim had been drinking heavily on Dec. 31, 2015 and was unable to defend herself

The court heard testimony that four of the men took the woman to a Vienna apartment where they were joined by the others and that all took turns raping her. When the alcohol started wearing off, she found herself naked in a bed.

Defence lawyer Andreas Reichenbach observed that the gang rape was committed at around the same time as the high-profile sexual assaults in Cologne by groups of migrants.

Reichenbach suggested the sentences imposed Thursday served in part as an "additional message" for asylum-seekers.

"As we all know, asylum-seekers don't have the best image here in Austria," he said. "I think that this surely played a certain role, to make it clear to these people that when they come to Austria that such behaviour won't be tolerated," he said.

All but one of the defendants denied raping the woman. Some acknowledged having sex with her, but argued it had been consensual.

Prosecutor Karina Fehringer said that was impossible, describing the victim as being defenceless in an "unconscious, shock-rigid" state.

Fehringer said the victim continues to suffer post-traumatic effects from the assault and requires psychiatric treatment.

The defence argued that the victim might have sent "false signals" that could have encouraged the men.

Noting that the woman was extremely intoxicated, Fehringer was quoted by the Austria Press Agency as asking: "Should we stick warnings on bottles: 'Excess consumption could be interpreted as agreement to have sex?"'

Charges were dismissed against the 48-year-old defendant, who said he had been asleep during the assaults.

Migrants and refugees from other countries expressed concern that the crime will make Austrians hostile toward all newcomers.

"Eight people raping a woman -- that's honour-less! Such a thing doesn't exist in our religion," Burhan Akbas, a migrant from Turkey, said.

"When such people come here and screw up like that, then everybody will think that Chechens, Afghans, all refugees from war areas are all the same," Mansur Salamou, an asylum-seeker from Chechnya, said. "But it's not like that. For example, the majority of us -- we also cause problems, commit crimes. But no rape! Only criminal assaults and robberies."
Asalaamualaykum.

It might be fake or might not be. It is probably a real true statement made with intent of a plea bargain.

Although we as Muslims have become a target in the media - you must remember this is not a new thing. Its being going on for decades at end.

The important thing is that because we are being targeted - we cannot turn a blind eye to evils that actually prevail in Muslim societies. The reality is that the ummah at large is in a very sick state and these things happen. The worst thing we can ever do is create a pseudo defence mechanism and shove all evils into the "we being targeted bucket" hence it is fake.

All I am saying is dont live in a self projected euphoria thinking that our own Muslims are not evil.

Mrciful_Servant
03-08-2017, 11:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Sister not only there. I am myself a Kurd and many Kurds do the same as you are accusing the Afghans doing. With the mouth Islam..Islam ..Islam..but i have seen no imaan. Are they kaffirs? Allah knows best about that, but the things they do and say is everything except Islam. It is rather for practicing Muslim to stay in the west than to live in such places with those kind of Muslims. I think this by majority of the people..being Afghan, Arab, Turk, Kurd or Persian etc...all the same every where.
Aha ..brother I agree ...I feel so much grieve knowing them and I a lot of sorrow ...at least don't call yourselves as Muslims just say that your are kafir we will not harm u ..but u r harming us by showing disrespect to our religion...[emoji17][emoji20][emoji45]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.