/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question about facial hair.

Aryeh Jay
03-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

If I say the Shahada and become Muslim, would I have to grow a beard?

Thank you for any help and answers.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Well, from my understanding, there is a prohibition on men about shaving their beards. Someone with more knowledge can answer in more detail in'sha'Allah.

I believe orthodox Judaism also has certain requirements on how men cut or trim their hair?

btw, are you considering converting to Islam? :)

Aryeh Jay
03-06-2017, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Wa alaykum assalam,

Well, from my understanding, there is a prohibition on men about shaving their beards. Someone with more knowledge can answer in more detail in'sha'Allah.

I believe orthodox Judaism also has certain requirements on how men cut or trim their hair?

btw, are you considering converting to Islam? :)
Yes, I am considering converting. :)

aaj
03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
:wasalam:

The prophet :saws1: commanded us to grow the beard and trim the mustache. Growing the beard is part of judaism as well.

If you are considering converting then don't let something like this stop you. growing the beard or not is a small issue compared to converting or not.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Simple_Person
03-06-2017, 04:02 PM
I believe this is sunnah (recommended), but not fard (compulsory). Although i would recommend you to grow a beard and have the feeling of it. I think after you have done that, you don't want to shave it completely off anymore. :). It is a very strange and calm feeling.

Aryeh Jay
03-06-2017, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
:wasalam:

The prophet :saws1: commanded us to grow the beard and trim the mustache. Growing the beard is part of judaism as well.

If you are considering converting then don't let something like this stop you. growing the beard or not is a small issue compared to converting or not.
No, a beard will not prevent me from converting. I ask because when I visited the local mosque only a few men had beards and I did not think to ask at the time.

Aryeh Jay
03-06-2017, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aryeh Jay
No, a beard will not prevent me from converting. I ask because when I visited the local mosque only a few men had beards and I did not think to ask at the time.
I had a beard for a few years but currently have a very nice paying job that is close to my home that does not allow facial hair.

Simple_Person
03-06-2017, 06:02 PM
I had a beard for a few years but currently have a very nice paying job that is close to my home that does not allow facial hair.
Take it step by step. Don't do something that might be too hard for you right now. So also with having a beard..take it easy..step by step. Lets things settle and you will find out yourself.

Also as a tip, if you groom your beard with certain places shaving it (cheek line + throat line)..to have a well taken care of beard..it looks rather nice. As i have it, although because of dandruff i trim it now and then. Right now it is not even the thickness of a finger(putting the finger horizontally). So take it easy..step by step. Qur'an also came in 23 years and not within a few hours. People need time to adapt to certain situation this is normal human behavior.

After doing the shahada..i would advice you for example to SLOWLY start learning the prayer. That brother..that is something that nothing in this world can compare with ..the calmness of the heart and stuff. I just prayed..but only talking about it..i want to pray again :).

aaj
03-06-2017, 06:07 PM
beard is part of the sunnah. The more you see a person become religiously committed the more he will grow a beard, just as the more you see a women committed the more she will do hijab/niqab/etc. In Muslim nations, beard is sometimes also done by some people to give the impression of being a religious and trustworthy person. As for the beard itself, it varies in length person by person. Normally properly religiously committed ones let it grow full beard, while others trim it to varying lengths to suit their lifestyle.

As for the job, you could get an exception on grounds of religious accommodations. This is seen in the police force and other similar fields of work. I'm not sure how that will go with the food industry considering it's being done for health guidelines and food safety. But anyways, it's something one can ponder on as to what are one's options.

For now, I would focus more on the more essential and obligatory topics, such as learning the prayer.

azc
03-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Assalamu Alaikum, If I say the Shahada and become Muslim, would I have to grow a beard? Thank you for any help and answers.
:wa: glad to know of your intention bro... Gradually, you mould your life style and appearance in accordance with the sunnah of prophet s.a.w...

AbdurRahman.
03-11-2017, 08:14 PM
:wa:

yes you would have to eventually but as others have said, there is no rush, take it step by step

however if because of your job you cannot manage to keep a beard, then i think it should be ok unless you've found a job that does allow it for working for a living is an obligation while beard is sunnah or wajib so the job takes priority [however this is my 'reasoning' so do get it checked out by Scholar!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.