/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about almsgiving in islam

Yasin1994
03-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Assalamu Aleikum!

I am currently writing a research paper about almsgiving in islam, and I would appreciate very much if some of you would take the time to answer a few questions about this. Please write a pm, if you are willing to help!

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
talibilm
03-12-2017, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yasin1994
Assalamu Aleikum!

I am currently writing a research paper about almsgiving in islam, and I would appreciate very much if some of you would take the time to answer a few questions about this. Please write a pm, if you are willing to help!

Thanks
:sl:

Just post it , this is a right place for it.

Its our duty to help you as per the knowledge we have. inshallah

It will be too late to my bed if it exceeds 15 minutes from here.

talibilm
03-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Let me give some details which I know.

Alms giving in Islam starts with your family members, next are your neighbours and so on.

The best money spent on the way of Allah is on your family itself spending on your wife and children.

Giving those Muslims who serve religion (like teachers etc) but are shy to ask help then the giver will get double rewards.

Giving alms in such a way the receiver does not know who gave it considered most virtuous.

Among Alms Zakat is Obligatory on a Muslim who is rich by the Nisab level .

Yasin1994
03-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Assalamu Aleikum!

I am currently writing a research paper in anthropology about almsgiving in Islam, and I wouldappreciate very much if some of you would take the time to answer a fewrather personal questions about this. I would be very thankful, if you are willing to help me before Wednesday! Youare of course welcome to write it to me as a pm.

1. How do you personally practice zakat (obligatory almsgiving) and sadaqa(voluntary almsgiving)?
2. To whom do you normally pay zakat? Why?
3. Why do you think almsgiving is so important in Islam?
4. Do you think it is an aspect of Islam that Muslims are generally more awareof then other? Why/Why not?
5. Do you look at it as something you own, an act of generosity or something else? Explain!
6. How are you interested in, and related to, the purpose; you are giving the alms to?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supernova
03-12-2017, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yasin1994
Assalamu Aleikum!

I am currently writing a research paper in anthropology about almsgiving in Islam, and I wouldappreciate very much if some of you would take the time to answer a fewrather personal questions about this. I would be very thankful, if you are willing to help me before Wednesday! Youare of course welcome to write it to me as a pm.

1. How do you personally practice zakat (obligatory almsgiving) and sadaqa(voluntary almsgiving)?
2. To whom do you normally pay zakat? Why?
3. Why do you think almsgiving is so important in Islam?
4. Do you think it is an aspect of Islam that Muslims are generally more awareof then other? Why/Why not?
5. Do you look at it as something you own, an act of generosity or something else? Explain!
6. How are you interested in, and related to, the purpose; you are giving the alms to?
Asalaamualaykum Brother Yasin.

1. I certainly hope you learn to press the spacebar before typing up your report.

2. I also hope you learn the difference between "then" and "than" before your report. The word "than" is used in comparison of two aspects. The word "then" is used to show chronological order between two aspects.

3. As far as your questions go - I am confused about how a report in Anthropology will entail survey data from a website of this nature. Whenever a survey is done, it's aim is to collect data in an way that eradicates any form of biasness. That means the survey cannot target only a particular group (Examples- age, gender, location etc). When you collect your answers here without knowing the details of the people whom you are collecting the data from, it will logically lead to inadvertent biasness in that survey.

So, could you please explain how your lecturer/faculty & University accepts your data from a website like this ?

4. From an Islamic angle - The dispensing of both Zakaath, Lillah & Sadaqa is a private matter. It is a such a private matter that when the right hand gives, the left hand shouldn't even know. This is obviously a metaphor leading to the understanding that it is a deed that should not be divulged to others.

To put it another way - it is similar to coming on this website and asking "Who prays Thahajud Salaah". You obviously will recognise the conundrum here because it is the one Salaah that is done in privacy and not to be discussed or boasted about.

5. Certain questions of yours (leading on from point number 4) is actually encouraging muslims to divulge this information which in reality will mean going against the ethos and spirit of the faith regarding this subject.

I still bamboozled that a survey this unprofessional will serve as data in an Anthropology report.

Wishing all the best in your report.

Waslaam.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
03-12-2017, 09:34 PM
I wrote a short article on Zakaat a while ago. Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3...dsRf1C8Oz3dQdw

Parts of it may be a bit complicated for you, but I hope you can benefit from it nevertheless, In Shaa Allaah.

There are two kinds of almsgiving:

1) Zakaat
2) Sadaqah

Zakaat is the obligatory almsgiving whereas Sadaqah is just normal charity and is optional. The article posted by me deals with Zakaat.

Was-Salaam.

talibilm
03-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Kindly address the post # 5 which is my view too.

But I have missed some points (as it was too late ) the more deservers of zakat as per the Noble Quran in an desecending order which should be taken note like Orphans, widows etc so Bro Huzaifa may POINT the VERSE please .

So after family (my neighbours as I live in Thailand, are wealthy IMO the poor eats good fruits everyday and has 40+ inch TV Led in his house but declares he is poor and needs zakat :hmm: ) so i do not give to me neighbours much but to orpahanages to India after my family members, but this year as am in debts i do not know how much zakat i will be able to pay UNTILL Allah clears some obstacles in my business and Muslim here never think to help u but thinks only money :phew.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
03-13-2017, 11:50 AM
قال الله تبارك وتعالى:

إِنَّمَا الصَّدَقَاتُ لِلْفُقَرَاءِ وَالْمَسَاكِينِ وَالْعَامِلِينَ عَلَيْهَا وَالْمُؤَلَّفَةِ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَالْغَارِمِينَ وَفِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ وَابْنِ السَّبِيلِ فَرِيضَةً مِنَ اللَّهِ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ

سورة التوبة

Allaah Ta`aalaa mentions in this Aayah whom Zakaah can be given to. In total there are eight categories, and they are:

1. The Fuqaraa (those who are destitute and have nothing at all)
2. The Masaakeen (poor people)
3. The Zakaah Collectors
4. Those whose hearts may incline towards Islaam (through Zakaah)
5. The (freeing of) slaves
6. Those in debt
7. The Mujaahideen
8. The wayfarers (who are cut off from everything)

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام

Huzaifah ibn Adam
03-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Soorah at-Tawbah, Aayah #60.

Umm Abed
03-13-2017, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Soorah at-Tawbah, Aayah #60.

How will zakat be paid for fixed property, such as buildings shops etc, and is there zakat on exta homes like holiday homes?

Will I find the answer in the link that you've given above?

:jz:

Huzaifah ibn Adam
03-13-2017, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed

How will zakat be paid for fixed property, such as buildings shops etc, and is there zakat on exta homes like holiday homes?

Will I find the answer in the link that you've given above?

:jz:
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Respected sister, Zakaat is paid on five things:

1. Gold and silver
  2. Cash
  3. Livestock
  4. Merchandise
  5. Agricultural Produce

Zakaat is not payable on one's home itself, or on a shop used as a business; Zakaat is payable on the merchandise within the business and upon the money accrued from the business.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام

Umm Abed
03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
:jz: for that clarification, brother Huzaifah, much appreciated.

talibilm
03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Respected sister, Zakaat is paid on five things:

1. Gold and silver
  2. Cash
  3. Livestock
  4. Merchandise
  5. Agricultural Produce

Zakaat is not payable on one's home itself, or on a shop used as a business; Zakaat is payable on the merchandise within the business and upon the money accrued from the business.

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام
:sl:wrwb bro,

its agreed no zakat on personal effects house, car etc or buying a land to build a house to be donated to his children , am I correct ?

How about those who rent houses for business or income ? and asset or land bought for that intention ?

Jazakallah khair.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.